RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you program?

What language?

• Total voters

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Did you read the article? It doesn't quite address the specific question we're asking, which is whether interpreted languages are programming languages, but it does say that there is summarily no difference anymore.

Secondly, pretty much any definition of "scripting language" has "a programming language that is interpreted and used..." or some similar construct.

I'm seriously just telling you guys what the industry and comscis everywhere consider scripting languages to be: programming languages. There is no distinction between compiled and interpreted languages in terms of them being programming languages.

I'm not arguing for the arguing of it. I'm not trying to be an ass. And, I'm not clutching at straws. Just stating the obvious and the accepted.

WarAngel

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;711076 said:
Secondly, pretty much any definition of "scripting language" has "a programming language that is interpreted and used..." or some similar construct.

Whatever you say dude. Just quit making shit up. Jeff owned you and now you're crying about it, so you post a whole bunch of "See. All sources are what I say, no matter what the sources really say." crap.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Note that I have neither edited nor changed any of these results. Except for some emphases.

Nor have I "fixed" any wikipedia defs. Wanna check? My username is easy to guess.

google define:scripting language said:
Definitions of scripting language on the Web:

Series of programmed commands that designate how one computer communicates with another computer.
www.1066ad.com/jargon/adsl-broadband-internet-jargon-buster-it-terms-terminology-language.html

A programming language which is designed for a particular application domain. The language includes nouns for referring to objects in the domain, such as "button", "cell", and "author". Generally, a scripting language has simpler syntax and fewer programming constructs than a programming language like C.
Glossary from "Watch What I Do"

A scripting language differentiates itself from other typical languages in that they are usually simpler to learn and use as well as not needing to be compiled. The language is interpreted at run-time so you can execuate instructions immediately.
Glossary

The programming language in which a script is written.
Learning Services - IT Services - Staff - Useful Definitions

A specialized programming language used to create scripts that, when inserted into a Web page, control various elements of the page, such as the user interface, styles, and HTML markup.
www.lanwrights.com/books/xml4dum/extras/glossary/s-z.htm

A (relatively) simple programming language eg JavaScript and Visual Basic which can be used to create a script, which is a set of instructions for a computer. VBS is much favoured by virus writers seeking to exploit certain vulnerabilities in some Microsoft programs.
Internet Glossary N--S

services provide interpreted languages which allow the user to carry out some complicated function in a simple way. Application areas served by special purpose scripting languages include calculation, graphical user interface development and development of prototype applications.
Detailed Platform Taxonomy

A programming language in which programs are the series of commands that are interpreted and then executed one by one. Doesn't require the compilation phase, for the price of lower performance.
Web Hosting Glossary

Scripting programming languages (commonly called scripting languages or script languages) are computer programming languagesdesigned for "scripting" the operation of a computer. Early script languages were often called batch languages or job control languages.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language

google define:interpreted language said:
Definitions of interpreted language on the Web:

A computer language turned into a binary form usable by a computer from its original source code by a computer each time it is run. An interpreted language is somewhat easier to work with than a compiled one, but tends to be slower. See also Java, JavaScript.
teladesign.com/ma-thesis/glossary.html

In computer programming, an interpreted language is a programming language whose programs may be executed from source form, by an interpreter. Any language may, in theory, be compiled or interpreted; therefore, this designation refers to languages' implementations rather than designs. In fact, many languages have both compilers and interpreters, including C, BASIC, and Python.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreted_language

google define:programming language said:
Definitions of programming language on the Web:

A computer, human-created language used to write instructions for a computer.
www.satellite-tv-hq.com/telecom-glossary-p.htm

The “Rosetta Stone” for computers. Programming language is what translates instructions from humans to computers. Programming languages are generally spelled with an initial cap such as: Basic, C, C++, Cobol, Fortran and Java.
ospa.utdallas.edu/Publications/VIG/13tech.htm

An artificial language that enables people to instruct machines. Computer commands that form procedures by which software programmers design and implement computer software programs.
www.atlab.com/LIMS/glossaryp-t.html

A standard which specifies how (sort of) human readable text is run on a computer. Programming languages vary quite a lot in style (eg Procedural - made up of blocks run from each other, Object-Oriented - program made of a set of communicating isolated objects, Functional - everything is a function!, ...), and make some things easier than others. ...
www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/lecture/grad_training/notes/out/glossary/

The instructions used in creating computer programs. There are a great number of programming languages in existence and no one language is suitable for writing all types of programs. The language a programmer uses to create an application will depend on the desired properties of the program. Some programming languages lend themselves to mathematical and analytical functions while others are better suited for creating business or data processing applications. ...
Scotsmist Personal Computer Support Appendix, The Glossary P

A computer tool that allows a programmer to write commands in a format that is more easily understood or remembered by a person, and in such a way that they can be translated into codes that the computer can understand and execute.
platon.lacitec.on.ca/~jlemoe/Cobol/Materiel/Cobol/Manuel/apg/apg.htm

services provide the basic syntax and semantic definition for use by a software developer to describe the desired application software function. Shell and executive script language services enable the use of operating system commands or utilities rather than a programming language. Shells and executive scripts are typically interpreted rather than compiled, but some operating systems support compilers for executive scripts. ...
Detailed Platform Taxonomy

A series of instructions written by a programmer according to a given set of rules or conventions (“syntax”). High-level programming languages are independent of the device on which the application (or program) will eventually run; low-level languages are specific to each program or platform. ...
www2.cheshire.gov.uk/SOCIAL/crossservice/Paris/glossary.htm

A formal language in which computer programs are written. The definition of a particular language consists of both syntax (how the various symbols of the language may be combined) and semantics (the meaning of the language constructs). (Ref: foldoc)
RJ Systems - Terminology 

(computer science) a language designed for programming computers
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

----A programming language or computer language is a standardized communication technique for expressing instructions to a computer. It is a set of syntactic and semantic rules used to define computer programs. A language enables a programmer to precisely specify what data a computer will act upon, how these data will be stored/transmitted, and precisely what actions to take under various circumstances.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language

Use a little bit of inference.

Or find a definition that contradicts.

WarAngel

Wanderer
This whole fucking thing has been a big joke. I can't believe you're still posting all sorts of evidence. rofl, you're fucking thick as hell.

WarAngel

Wanderer
No, that doesn't work. You were getting so pissed off and defensive over people who clearly didn't give a fuck what you were saying or what the subject was even really about. You fell for it, not the other way around.

Jeff

Lord
WarAngel;711133 said:
No, that doesn't work. You were getting so pissed off and defensive over people who clearly didn't give a fuck what you were saying or what the subject was even really about. You fell for it, not the other way around.

:cool::cool:

I would just like to point out that back on post #80 Godwin's Law has been proved.

*continues reading the rest of the posts*
EDIT

Well after having read all that I think that Godwins rule owns. And good job TMSTKSBK.

Jager

I've decided that my life will be complete when this definition is settled upon. Until then I won't be able to sleep, eat, masturbate etc. Hurry, this topic is very important to me, and I am sure it is very important to many others. Our lives are in your hands.