RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you program?

What language?

• Total voters

TMSTKSBK

Lord
No. Read. Read what you said, even.

self;710964 said:
Yes. You got it right. GJ. About time.

Jeff said:
difference b/w a "programming language" (C, C++, VB etc.) and a "scripting language" (PHP, ASP, JSP, JavaScript, VBScript) is that code written in a programming language needs to be compiled before it is run.

As you finally, obviously, state, there are two types of programming language. One is compiled, one is interpreted. The interpreted languages are informally known as "scripting languages". However, they are both still programming languages.

Let's go back to that whole definition of a programming language thing. Basically it says that if you can make a machine do calculations in a programmatic fashion, it's a programming language. So all those "scripting" i.e. interpreted languages are, indeed, programming languages.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Yar, that is what I originally wrote.

Jeff. Seriously. Go out there and find something that says all scripting (interpreted) languages are most definitely not programming languages.

Do it.

(BTW, JSP are *still* a programming language by your definition...you can compile them into bytecode.)

crackrat

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;710964 said:
Yes. You got it right. GJ. About time.

As you finally, obviously, state, there are two types of programming language. One is compiled, one is interpreted. The interpreted languages are informally known as "scripting languages". However, they are both still programming languages.

wrong, one is a 'scripting' language.

The big difference is the fact that scripting languages require a interpreter at time of use, with a programming language the interpreter happens at time of compiling, hence not requiring the extra baggage to run(that is unless your using a managed library such as .net, which is not the same a interpreter).......honestly i had this question as a small extra credit essay in one of my unix scripting classes. (high light of the course was an essay on the history of Unix, Linux, and the Free BSD O.S.'s. 5 pages or 3000 words.;P)

crackrat

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;710977 said:
Yar, that is what I originally wrote.

(BTW, JSP are *still* a programming language by your definition...you can compile them into bytecode.)

no.

Bytecode is a binary representation of an exicutable program designed to be executed by a virtual machine rather than by dedicated hardware. Since it is processed by software, it is usually more abstract than machine code.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
@immediately previous:
Refer to Jeff's previous posts where he calls Java a programming language.

Bytecode is what Java compiles into. It's not REALLY bytecode per se, it's more of instructions for the JVM. JVMcode, if you will.

@second-most previous:
Yes? And? You have reinforced my point, not refuted it. By "Interpreted Language" it means that interpretation is performed at runtime, not at compile time. In your average "Compiled Language", the interpretation happens at compile time, not at runtime.

Really this entire thing is a discussion about definitions. The actual definition of "programming language" is broader than Jeff's definition, which is limited to compiled languages.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Dude! Have you done vast independent research on the nature of programming languages? Are you a revered expert in the field of computer science? Finite automata? Determinism? Finite state machines?

Do you even know how a language gets executed?

No.

Either learn what you're talking about or let intelligent people talk.

WarAngel

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;711020 said:
Dude! Have you done vast independent research on the nature of programming languages? Are you a revered expert in the field of computer science? Finite automata? Determinism? Finite state machines?

*whistles*

Pot, this is kettle. I believe you may have actually met him a few topics back. You know, the one about Sony. Funny how you two just keep bumping into each other.

Either learn what you're talking about or let intelligent people talk.

If I had to choose between a fat cocky asshole or a teacher, I'd pick the teacher any day.

Jeff

Lord
TMSTKSBK;711035 said:
You may:
Refute what I have stated
Say something else on-topic
gtfo.

Hitler thought he was right to you know, look what happened to him when the rest of the world showed he wasn't.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Jeff;711046 said:
Hitler thought he was right to you know, look what happened to him when the rest of the world showed he wasn't.

WTF does this have to do with Hitler?

Simple (correct) definition vs genocide?