RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For runuo 2.0

goofykid

Sorceror
For runuo 2.0

you should include the .net framework with the downlaod for new members/shard runners dont have to worry about it or have it in the download section to download from this site.

Tannis

Knight
If people got their Windows Updates on a regular basis, they wouldn't have to worry about going and looking for it ;)

goofykid

Sorceror
Tannis said:
If people got their Windows Updates on a regular basis, they wouldn't have to worry about going and looking for it ;)
sure and if the updates didnt mess up your computer maybe people would update it i know a computer technicion that says do not update windows it messes it up so some people dont want thier comps messed up

Irokky

Wanderer
Well it is true the windows update will mess up your system usually if you have windows Jimmy-rigged and not a standard set up.

Kamron

Knight
goofykid said:
sure and if the updates didnt mess up your computer maybe people would update it i know a computer technicion that says do not update windows it messes it up so some people dont want thier comps messed up

Irokky said:
Well it is true the windows update will mess up your system usually if you have windows Jimmy-rigged and not a standard set up.

That has to be two of the DUMBEST things I have ever read. With an annotation that in the latter quote, I am talking about even having to deal with constrewed operating system installs.

If a technician tells you not to update windows, then I will be happy to send you a few hundred viruses that have recently been patched, as well as a few net links with Active-X trojans. Want your computer to be facilitated by intruders, I don't think so... The person who told you that needs to shape up or ship out in my opinion... cause dumbasses are getting less scarce these days.

If you MICKEY-MOUSE (Jimmy-Rigged, whatever the hell you want to call it), windows, then you are up shit creek in my opinion and you deserve to be virused through stupidity. I hope Irroky that you are suggesting the same thing.

I would like to also add that the .NET Framework (1.1 for x86 and x64 and 2.0 for x86 and x64) is freely downloadable from Microsoft's website. I suggest that if you cannot update windows... then you should download that... but of course, if youa re like Irroky suggested and messed with your windows, then it may not even install at all.

Irokky said:
ok, i know theres cultural differences with words and phrases, but ive traveled alot and never heard this one. what in tarnation is a "Jimmy-Rigged"?

crackrat

Wanderer
same thing as jury-rigged basically something put together in a non professional matter.

As to not updating windows due to it messing the OS up well 'poppycock'. while in the early days of windows 95 and 3.01 some patches did not patch favorably uhh that was basically back in stone age times.

side note to friends of mine that see I'm actually defending a Microsoft product, Yea i know i will prolly burn severely in hades for this.

Kamron

Knight
I never said Windows is a good product... but if you don't update it... it definately won't get any better... duh?

HellRazor

Knight
I would imagine pirated versions of Windows might have some problems with updates, which could be the whole problem here. I'm not sure how else you could, or even WHY you would, alter your operating system to the extent that simple updates would cause a meltdown.

Manu

Knight
HellRazor said:
I would imagine pirated versions of Windows might have some problems with updates, which could be the whole problem here.

Automatic updates (if not switched to "disabled", that is) do work for all Windows versions (even pirated ones). The more specific updates that you have to d/l yourself sometimes require a "genuie test", where it installs an ActiveX Plugin to check the serial number you used. If its legit and registered, you can download.

But ALL vital security patches can be downloaded via automatic updates. So TURN THEM ON!!!

Frostleaf

Wanderer
Hah

You know, for all I care, Windows is a great product. I myself cannot make a shell program, and I highly doubt that 90% of those who complain can either, with that 10% being exceptionally generous.

If you don't update windows, your a moron. You don't update anything, well that's your problem, and in anycase, you should not be a shard host. Microsoft may have a stranglehold on it's partners and companies, and is the "Big Man" everyone likes to "stick it too", but at the same time, they got there cause someone obviously knows their customers better then themselves.

More then half the people I have heard complain about Windows has it installed in their own computer. The other have are Linux/Unix Diehards that have nothing other to do then get a hardon by stirring up OS discussions.

They all are good, they all work, but it's a simple matter of personal preference. However, no matter which way you go, update the damn POS and be considerate of your members, as their time went into the (hypothetical) server you just let a teenie-bopper destroy cause you can't follow installation instructions for the .NET.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

crackrat

Wanderer
just checked and the .net packages require no security proof for windows authenticity. this would follow suit as most computers needing it for development most likely would not have a inet connection. there are also redistributable packages so my guess is that runuo could either add a link or host their own distribution if they so desired.

as to updating messing up computers. as i had stated earlier in this thread back in the days of early versions of windows(circa1994-1998), yes this may have been true. Microsoft has since cured a lot of these issues and they no longer exist in current systems. on my personal home network of 4 computers Ive never had a single issue with upgrading windows.only issues i have ever had recently were with video card drivers, sound card drivers, and printer drivers but those were not issues with windows or its update system they were third party provider issues.

as to my comment of burning in hades lol no I'm not a Microsoft fanboi i use their product due to convenience. Also the development of window applications really should be done on a like system due to testing. I am a registered user of visual studio and several other Microsoft products. I also use a free BSD as a secondary OS due to the need to develop applications in UNIX. *shrugs* while i can see a slight need for a download of .net for runuo tbh its just as easy to do a search and download from the source.

goofykid

Sorceror
Is This A F***ing Debate Here Ok Shut Up It Wasnt For Pirated It Was For New Shard Owners Who Might Not Know How/have Time/know Where To Download It So Every One Shut Up And I Want Some One To Lock This Post Thank You!

Kamron

Knight
Why lock the thread? Because you are wrong? I personally believe that any person who reads that the .NET Framework (BY MICROSOFT) is required for RunUO, and does not know how to conduct a simple search at www.microsoft.com, is too moronic to run a shard. Does that include you? I hope not... now about that debate.... It seems you and a few others who are witless are the only ones who realize the need for serving people without common sense as well.

goofykid said:
Is This A F***ing Debate Here Ok Shut Up It Wasnt For Pirated It Was For New Shard Owners Who Might Not Know How/have Time/know Where To Download It So Every One Shut Up And I Want Some One To Lock This Post Thank You!

Oh No! He Asterisked Us!

ok first off, i dont know if the framework is legally allowed to be redistributed by another party, and even if it was, runuo isnt obligated to. if you want it do like everyone told ya and search download.microsoft.com for .NET Framework...actually i think its is in the Popular Downloads section meaning its rite there for ya, wont even have to search. Secondly, I believe 1.0 and 1.1 are already installed when you get XP. (or at least the machines at school already had it when i was working on my LAN server project)
Thirdly, your the only one who has sent a flame, (If you can call Asterisks a flame) so why would you be the one to request it being locked?
and Lastly, how is this a Modification to RunUO?

Livewire

Wanderer
AFAIK, .net 1.1 doesn't come with xp, or I missed that update. I had to download it and install it.

In any case, why would we WANT to package it with runuo? Those of us who already have it would end up downloading a bloated package with (to us at least) useless crap, and it would cost runuo more bandwith!

First off, you posted the idea. On the forums. You opened yourself up to debate, and that's your own fault.

I kinda get including it for those who don't know where to download it, except that it's a microsoft thing, so your first guess should be microsoft.com. Those who don't know how to download it though? If you don't know how to download the .net framework, then you don't know how to download runuo, and you wouldn't need to worry. If you don't have time? Why run a shard if you don't have the time? A shard requires time and energy to make it a good one...

Oh, and for the record, it'd bloat runuo by 23.1mb for .net 1.1, and 22.4mb for .net 2.0. Not exactly a good thing since that's like 3 times the size of runuo 1.0.0 (6.6mb), and most of us probably wouldn't need it.

Edit: afaik it can be redistributed by another party (one of the stickies in server support says runuo.com has it up for download, although times have changed and it isn't here anymore), but it shouldn't be distributed WITH runuo by all means. I can see a separate download right next to runuo, but not with it when most of us won't need it.

Livewire said:
AFAIK, .net 1.1 doesn't come with xp, or I missed that update. I had to download it and install it.

In any case, why would we WANT to package it with runuo? Those of us who already have it would end up downloading a bloated package with (to us at least) useless crap, and it would cost runuo more bandwith!

First off, you posted the idea. On the forums. You opened yourself up to debate, and that's your own fault.

I kinda get including it for those who don't know where to download it, except that it's a microsoft thing, so your first guess should be microsoft.com. Those who don't know how to download it though? If you don't know how to download the .net framework, then you don't know how to download runuo, and you wouldn't need to worry. If you don't have time? Why run a shard if you don't have the time? A shard requires time and energy to make it a good one...

Oh, and for the record, it'd bloat runuo by 23.1mb for .net 1.1, and 22.4mb for .net 2.0. Not exactly a good thing since that's like 3 times the size of runuo 1.0.0 (6.6mb), and most of us probably wouldn't need it.

Edit: afaik it can be redistributed by another party (one of the stickies in server support says runuo.com has it up for download, although times have changed and it isn't here anymore), but it shouldn't be distributed WITH runuo by all means. I can see a separate download right next to runuo, but not with it when most of us won't need it.
who or what is afaik?

Livewire

Wanderer
That I'm not denying. His original idea was to INCLUDE it with the download, which is bad for those of us who already have it.

For lack of a better example, it'd be like buying ut2004 and having win98se included with it. It's nice for those who need it (not many), but it's a waste for those who already have an os that can run it.

The difference between that example and runuo including it though is that we're spending time to download the program. Whether ut2004 comes with the os or not, we're spending the same amount of time to drive to the store, buy it, and come home.

AFAIK = As far as I know :)