RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found router- possibly why players can not connect ?

Jakkin

Wanderer
Found router- possibly why players can not connect ?

I found out that I have a router, I believe it is this kind:
Network connection with a router (private IP):
Typical of a small home network with a DSL connection or a large college or company network connected to a T1.

Any idea how to get passed it for players to play on my shard ?

psz

Administrator
By "Kind" of router, we'd need Brand Name and Model... I've got a LinkSys Firewall Router. My brother has a LinkSys Router (no firewall).

My router has ~5 extra pages worth of settings that I can tweak, as compared to his.

Another brand of router would have a different setup sequence or way to log on.

Try to find out who makes the router, and post it here... Chances are SOMEbody will have/have used it before, and they can answer your questions better! ->

Phantom

Knight
Port Foward the Port you plan to use.

Then add your IP to the static variable in ServerList.cs this should allow people to login.

Jakkin

Wanderer
Sorry, dont know brand name,etc dont know where it is, just know its there. And to Phantom, sorry you lost me, can you break it down a bit more please ?

Jakkin

Wanderer
Earthlink?

I think I found it, I found 2 things that look like em, its either
EarthLink- Home Network
or
SpeedStream

Spooky

Wanderer
Jakkin said:
Sorry, dont know brand name,etc dont know where it is, just know its there. And to Phantom, sorry you lost me, can you break it down a bit more please ?

You dont know where the router is? HMmm

Sounds to me like you are trying to set up a shard to be hosted on your work (or school) network. If this is true then your chance of access to the router is very very slim, not to mention the firewall they will have in place too.

If its at your home where you will have access to the router then there are plenty of people on these boards than can help you. If it is at work or a school network there isnt much anyone can do for you unless you have access to their network infrastructure. Hosting non work related resources on work/school infrastructure will get you fired or expelled.

I know this isnt what you want to hear but its not worth getting fired or expelled for, if you are talking about a work or school network.

psz

Administrator
Hrm... Either could be the router... Are you on a Cable Modem? If so, one of those two should have what looks like a TV Cable Box cable going into it... That's *NOT* the router, so the other one IS ->

If you have a DSL connection, one will have a Telephone cable going into it... That's *NOT* the router, so the other one IS ;->

Going by process of elimination, consider this

The router will have mutilple network cables (looks like slightly larger phone cables) coming out of it, and into the computer(s).

Whichever device resembles the above *IS* the router ;->

Jakkin

Wanderer
Router is

I got t1, I'm assuming thats same as DSL ?
If so it is most likely the earthlink, though both have wires the same size you described, but the Earthlink one has more

Phantom

Knight
Jakkin said:

That is the simple version....

Read your the book that came with it, should help you.

psz

Administrator
Ok, the layout will be something similar to this

ISP -> Wall Socket -> T1 Modem -> Router -> Computers.

Just trace the wire back to the router to make sure you got the right one in mind.

Then, do as Phantom said Read it's book.

Otherwise, you may have to go to the manufacturer's website, and see if they have online help.

NOCTUR

Wanderer
Router

I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router configured with port forwarding and static IP. I have ensured the correct IP address, verified by www.myipaddress.com, is posted in the serverlist.cs file and I am running the latest client up date, client 4.0.0e patch 22.

The only way that anyone can connect, using UOGateway, to my RunUO emu is through the host computer only, the computer that is running RunUO. No one from the net nor anyone else on my lan can connect. I have been working with this issue for about 2 weeks now and I believe it has to do with the latest client updates. Anyone else have ideas?

psz

Administrator
I have the same setup. Both LAN and 'Net can connect. I've got the Linksys 4-port Firewall Router and I'm using Cable.

On the LAN's UOGateway, have you had them try logging on both with your Internet IP as well as your LAN IP?

Jakkin

Wanderer
I found my IP address if it may help,I dont know if its my actual one or my router.

strange though, last time I checked my ip was

I hope it isnt one of those changing ones, if it is, what do I do.

NOCTUR

Wanderer
Router

PSZ,

Well I still must have something not quite right then. I have had the LAN players try both IP's. I am using a cable connection to. When I log on with the machine running the RunUO it allows a connection. All others it wont let in regardless which IP I use. Wonder if it is an OS problem. I am using ME and XP on two different user machines and WIN98 on the Server dedicated maching.

Noctur

psz

Administrator
Hehe... No kidding.

I'm on an XP Pro machine(serving/playing), and have a 98SE, a 98orig, and an XP Home connecting TO this one. The 98SE is on the LAN, the other two are LAN'ed at my brother's house (They have DSL) and connect over the net to HERE...

I'm using dyndns.org's static dns service to give my IP a DNS... I have EVERYONE (LAN, Net, myself) connecting through the DNS (not an IP) and have the DNS in the serverlist.cs. Dunno if that'll help, or not, though...

Jakkin

Wanderer
Static DNS

Could you perhaps teach/tell me how to set one of these up so I can have players connect ?
I'll do it this way, unless it costs something =(

NOCTUR

Wanderer
Router

Maybe that is my problem. I have the dynamic DNS disabled. Maybe I should try enabeling it. I am not sure what I should put in the serverlist.cs file with a dynamic dns though.