RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Question about Emulators & OSI Shards

just curious, what would stop people from using an add command to add stairs, etc in an osi server? Asside from [admin not working. Could you not use a program like razor to hook in and allow it? Obv. it would be client side, and not save but.....

Just curious.

Jeff

Lord
No, the server has to accept the command, even then, just like RunUO, OSI probably checks access level.

nah there is another way... i just dont want to post it here cause if its still doable and people start doing it.. things could get !@#$ed up on alot of servers lol.

trevorc21

Knight
Then i am 99.9 % certain that it is undoable on runuo servers because it is all server done and not client done. It will check the players accesslevel if the command they enter does not match the accesslevel required then it will not allow you to do it. all server side and none of it is done on the client side

Zaroff

RunUO Web Developer
This one time there was this game that did this called Devil II or Diabolical II or something... it worked out p well on the open servers. Whats duping!?

No. In fact, the leak of the godclient a few years back makes me wonder if OSI's servers even have a command line. And if they do, the command syntax is going to completely different. And its gonna be based on account accesslevel as others have said, there's no way around that, so any rumors you may have heard about elevating privileges another way is crap.

Vorspire

Knight
Don't 3rd party apps like Razor and Pandora's just write out commands in the client as text and then send them.. The same way you'd type anything and hit enter?
Even still, if OSI doesn't have an access level system, they will most likely have some sort of access comparison system in place.
I would imagine that if OSI servers did not have a command line, they would at least have a "god" client for the staff to this day which would probably only allow registered staff accounts to connect anyway.

Unless we have some one on the inside, there's no real way to know.

Jeff

Lord
Pandora writes commands to the client as if you were to type them, Razor modifies packets directly.

He got in irc a few weeks ago, and clarified more what he was trying to do/recreate. He claimed that he could add stairs and other statics, freeze them, then use the newly frozen statics on OSI to get places where not otherwise allowed. I told them that this will not work on RunUO because RunUO checks its own copy of static files for collision data. I do however remember a bug/exploit on RunUO 1.0 with the [emote command, using the barf expression, one could barf on black areas or water, then walk on the barf. This has been since corrected. Also the barf was obviously unfrozen.

Jeff

Lord
He got in irc a few weeks ago, and clarified more what he was trying to do/recreate. He claimed that he could add stairs and other statics, freeze them, then use the newly frozen statics on OSI to get places where not otherwise allowed. I told them that this will not work on RunUO because RunUO checks its own copy of static files for collision data. I do however remember a bug/exploit on RunUO 1.0 with the [emote command, using the barf expression, one could barf on black areas or water, then walk on the barf. This has been since corrected. Also the barf was obviously unfrozen.
I use to do that on OSI myself, we got into all sorts of places with that, we even mapped out the official guardlines with red carpet so when we stole stuff we knew guards couldnt be called. We also use to rob houses that way since you could just setup steps that would drop you through the roof of a house.

Jeff

Lord
Ya it would, however, RunUO tells you exactly when you are in and out of the guard lines (so does EA now). Back in the day, it wasn't exact, sometimes you'd get it right when you left, sometimes a few tiles later... I'm assuming it had to do with priority of packets, since people were on modems and whatnot.