RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting another server on my shard

Syther

Wanderer
Getting another server on my shard

you know how the old Ultima Onine the one u have to pay for has like 10 sevrers on there shard well i wanting know ho u put another one on there

CEO

Sorceror
EA/OSI shards are broken up into serverlines with specific areas ran by different systems. There are no serverlines in the RunUO environment, the data and everything else resides on one system. You can beef up your hardware/etc but you can't add another computer to the shard, it's just not designed like that.

I've no idea what shard you run, but take a look at uogateway and the top couple of shards with 500-2000+ users on them regularly, are you at that point? Probably not or you'd know by now what RunUO is capable of. Those big shards for the most part all run on multi-cpu systems with lots of memory, but most of the trick with RunUO for small-medium shards isn't really CPU but hard drive speeds and memory. CPU usage is practically nothing, RUNUO is a packet-pusher (simplified), the big time consuming event is the world save. The faster hard drive(s)/raid/etc setup you have is what users are going to notice the most and the more memory you have prevents the system from churning/page-faulting to the HD.

Rothhear

Sorceror
there is a way to have more then 1 server on your server list i no how to do it and it works between 2 computers on the same network but i have not found a way to shar account info between them

Serp

Sorceror
Rothhear said:
there is a way to have more then 1 server on your server list i no how to do it and it works between 2 computers on the same network but i have not found a way to shar account info between them
Although it is possible, it is pretty tricky to do and it's easy to screw up somewhere. You'd need to write a separate program to act as login server and have a central database for all the account information.

Phantom

Knight
Rothhear said:

I would disagree with this fact.

I'm not positive, but I think it would take 3 differently programmed servers, one would be the Login server, which would verify your account and then forward you to the server list server (either on localhost on a different port, or on a differnt IP). From the server list, on shard selection would send you to the shard you selected. Also, neither the RunUO source or distro come with the code to support this. They also do not have any code that would take just a little editing to get this to work. You would litterally have to program 3 servers in C# to make them all work together, and run them all when you start your shard(s).

Phantom

Knight
autumntwilight said:
I'm not positive, but I think it would take 3 differently programmed servers, one would be the Login server, which would verify your account and then forward you to the server list server (either on localhost on a different port, or on a differnt IP). From the server list, on shard selection would send you to the shard you selected. Also, neither the RunUO source or distro come with the code to support this. They also do not have any code that would take just a little editing to get this to work. You would litterally have to program 3 servers in C# to make them all work together, and run them all when you start your shard(s).

I would also disagree with this statement.

Quinox

Sorceror
It is physically possible, but would take a lot of time and a lot of effort and I doubt anyone will be willing to support it. And since RunUO handles the entire world on one computer so beautifully, it is really not necessary to do such a thing.

Would you agree with this statement Phantom? :D

Serp

Sorceror
Quinox said:
It is physically possible, but would take a lot of time and a lot of effort and I doubt anyone will be willing to support it. And since RunUO handles the entire world on one computer so beautifully, it is really not necessary to do such a thing.

I think Rothhear is referring to multiple shards that you connect to through the same account list, not splitting up one shard on many servers.

Phantom

Knight
Quinox said:

Yes actually I would

So you disagree that you could make a server programmed with account info that allows you to login, which forwards you to the serverlist on successful login, and have the accounts saved in a database on the login server, then have the serverlist show you a list of available servers that are linked to the serverlist, having each server save their own saves. This could even be done on one computer, but it takes several servers to do. If this isn't possible phantom, please, please tell me why, as osi works this way. I would really like to know what your idea is on this? I said that none of RunUO's scripts support this, but it can be programmed if you wanted. It would basically make 3+ servers (login), (serverlist), and [shard(s)]. Please tell me Phantom, I have no clue why you are trying to make people think I'm crazy, or I'm a dumbass, but I'd like to know why YOU think that would not work? 3 SEPERATELY programmed servers, and I already said, you can't use any of the code from RunUO.

newbies13

Sorceror
The defiance shard has something like what everyone is talking about, you log into defiance and it shows there 3 diffrent shards on the server list and you can log into each from it.

Phantom

Knight
newbies13 said:
The defiance shard has something like what everyone is talking about, you log into defiance and it shows there 3 diffrent shards on the server list and you can log into each from it.

Defiance shard is staffed by a couple of kitty cats.

I am sure everyone knows what I meant by that statement. If not ask your older brother, friends, ect.

tj9621

Wanderer
is there no way the 3 systems could use the same web site database for the accounts for the log in and just have a back up scrit for run uo to copy the account log from one system to the next you know like every 10 min server looks and see if account included wait why not have a sign up on the web site that would be smart

Phantom

Knight
tj9621 said:
is there no way the 3 systems could use the same web site database for the accounts for the log in and just have a back up scrit for run uo to copy the account log from one system to the next you know like every 10 min server looks and see if account included wait why not have a sign up on the web site that would be smart

This is entirely possible

Infact there is an unsupported account system on the board, but I wouldn't use it because of the bugs.

Nomuk

Wanderer
I guess you can actually open up 2 servers maybe same port and they gonna show up in the same server list

Rothhear

Sorceror
Rothhear said:

ok i have a serverlist that can have more then 1 server on it so if u clikc test u will go to a diffent comeputer on the same network and if u click whataver the shards called u will stay on the comeputer if u want i will post my serverlist.cs it work but i have no way off makeing the account on the other comeputer thou and u have to change something in accounthaddler to hope u can figer a way to make it share accouts between comeputers

Quantos

Lord
Nomuk said:
I guess you can actually open up 2 servers maybe same port and they gonna show up in the same server list

Darned good thing this guy is banned. If you want to run more than one server on the same computer then they both have to have different ports, and seperate datafiles.

<EDIT> If you mean that you want to have more than one machine handle a single shard then that can't be done. </EDIT>

infra001

Wanderer
Phantom said:
Defiance shard is staffed by a couple of kitty cats.

I am sure everyone knows what I meant by that statement. If not ask your older brother, friends, ect.

Meowwwww

How pathetic.

What he really means is that he got fired from a "duel system" project we gave him, after 4 weeks all he had done was a gump which didn't even do anything, great work.

Try admitting the truth for once.