RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardware/Software Questions

you then need to compile the new core from the svn also

there is a couple of nice threads that show how to do this (no links to them sorry)

but it is not to hard to do

zartanian

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;661430 said:
you then need to compile the new core from the svn also

there is a couple of nice threads that show how to do this (no links to them sorry)

but it is not to hard to do

Here are, I hope, easy to follow step by step instructions for compiling the Server .svn.

For these instructions I use Visual C# 2005 Express. It can be downloaded for free at MSDN Download and Code Center

After downloading and installing Visual C#, copy the .svn Server folder to a separate location. (It may not be necessary to do this step, but it would not give me permission to work with the files until I did)

Now open Visual C# and click on File then New Project. In the box that opens click on "Console Application" and at the bottom of the screen you can name the project if you wish. Then click "OK".

It will then open a file called "Program.cs" in the center of the screen and a window on the right called "Solution Explorer".

In the solution explorer delete the "Program.cs" and click the + sign next to "Properties" and delete the "AssemblyInfo.cs" under it.

Now open the new folder you made with the Server .svn folder inside it. Drag the Server folder onto the Icon underneath the "Solution" icon. (If you named the project in the 3rd step, drag the folder onto the icon that has your project name.) You should now see the folder "Server" at the bottom of the list in the Solution Explorer window.

Now click "Project" at the top of the screen. Click Properties at the bottom of the list.

It should open to a window that has "Application", "Build", "Build Events", "Debug", "Resources", "Settings", and "Reference Paths" down the left side.

Under Assembly Name You can name the finished project name.Below that is Output type. Make sure that says Console Application. Set the Startup object field to "Server.Core". In the Icon Field, you can point it to the server folder at the Icon there.

In the Build screen put a check next to "Allow unsafe code". Below that you set where you want the compiled server should save to.

Now go to the top and click on Build, Build Solution.

Thats it. You have now compiled the new Server.exe.

In most cases you should now be able to drop the new Server.exe into your Runuo 2 folder. Remember to delete the scripts\output\scripts.cs.dll (This is the file that allows Cacheing of the scripts) It will write a new copy when the scripts recompile on server start.

I found that searching for what had to be done.

Can one of you please verify before I start the project and fill in any blanks

Khaz

Knight
Thats more complex than it needs to be, but it should work fine.

Instead of this step:
After downloading and installing Visual C#, copy the .svn Server folder to a separate location. (It may not be necessary to do this step, but it would not give me permission to work with the files until I did)
simply right-click the SVN checkout (assuming youre using TortoiseSVN) and click TortoiseSVN -> Export.
That will prompt you with a location to export to. Pick the folder you want, and then use that one as your source folder. It will eliminate the permission issue quoted.

zenroth

Traveler
Can someone tell me where the bug tracker for this is located? I just started doing a ton of work on a RC1 version of runuo 2.0 and don't really want to update to the svn and start back over. Thanks!

WeEzL

Wanderer
Or to compile the server, you could use this little batch file. Handy little thing really... saves you the trouble of setting up anything in Visual C#. You don't even need Visual C# tbh. It uses the command line compiler that ships with the .NET Framework. Just drop it into the Server folder and run it.

Attachments

• CompileServer.zip
    273 bytes · Views: 11

zartanian

Sorceror
I am lost with this entire compile RunUO thing.

I almost want to call it quits and stick with 1.0

Can I get a harrder push in the right direction

Khaz

Knight
Sure.

Download and install http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/. Restart when prompted.

Create a new folder at C:\ called Server. Right-click it and click SVN Checkout.

Change the "URL of repository" field to Revision 160: /devel/Server

Click Okay. That will pull down the RunUO core. When it's done, click OK.

Download WeEzL's zip file and extract it to C:\. Run it. This should compile the server and leave you with a Server.exe that you can then use in place of the RunUO 2.0 RC1 default. By this, I mean that you can copy the new Server.exe into your RunUO directory to overwrite the old one.

then just copy/merge the script files directory from the svn folder with those in the 2.0 scripts folder

and the 3rd foldeer is the "root" directory of 2.0 to replace in there

zartanian

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;661606 said:
then just copy/merge the script files directory from the svn folder with those in the 2.0 scripts folder

and the 3rd foldeer is the "root" directory of 2.0 to replace in there

I am sorry for yet another stupid question.

I did what I though you guys said but ended up with to many errors to list

Done----Download and install tortoisesvn.tigris.org. Restart when prompted.

Done----Create a new folder at C:\ called Server. Right-click it and click SVN Checkout.

Done----Change the "URL of repository" field to Revision 160: /devel/Server

Done----Click Okay. That will pull down the RunUO core. When it's done, click OK.

Done----Download WeEzL's zip file and extract it to C:\. Run it. This should compile the server and leave you with a Server.exe

Done----then use in place of the RunUO 2.0 RC1 default. By this, I mean that you can copy the new Server.exe into your RunUO directory to overwrite the old one.

???? Done----Copy/merge the script files directory from the svn folder with those in the 2.0 scripts folder----I copied the entire directory into the scripts folder

???? the 3rd foldeer is the "root" directory of 2.0 to replace in there---- Got a little lost on this one

WeEzL

Wanderer
Uh, you can't merge a version 2.0 installation with a version 1.0 installation (which I assume is what you are using judging from previous posts in this thread). You will have to look at what customs you have and either find new ones that have been updated for 2.0, or update them yourself.

Your best bet is to compile the Server.exe and just run your server from the SVN directory (don't forget to copy zlib32.dll into that directory). So much has changed from 1.0 to 2.0 RC1 and even from 2.0 RC1 to the current SVN that most of the 2.0 RC1 scrips are incompatible with SVN scripts so it's pointless to try to merge SVN scripts with an existing 2.0 RC1 server. It would be far easier to try to install any customs you have into the new SVN Scripts folder.

zartanian

Sorceror
WeEzL;661939 said:
Uh, you can't merge a version 2.0 installation with a version 1.0 installation (which I assume is what you are using judging from previous posts in this thread). You will have to look at what customs you have and either find new ones that have been updated for 2.0, or update them yourself.

Your best bet is to compile the Server.exe and just run your server from the SVN directory (don't forget to copy zlib32.dll into that directory). So much has changed from 1.0 to 2.0 RC1 and even from 2.0 RC1 to the current SVN that most of the 2.0 RC1 scrips are incompatible with SVN scripts so it's pointless to try to merge SVN scripts with an existing 2.0 RC1 server. It would be far easier to try to install any customs you have into the new SVN Scripts folder.

I am not happy but I know my 4 months of work on my RunUO 1.0 server is lost. I am working with a clean installation of RunUO 2.0 and the latest SVN file. I am going to repeat myself here just to make sure we are on the same page.

Done----Download and install tortoisesvn.tigris.org.
Done----Create a new folder at C:\ called Server. Right-click it and click SVN Checkout.
Done----Change the "URL of repository" field to Revision 160: /devel/Server
Done----Click Okay. That will pull down the RunUO core. When it's done, click OK.
Done----Download WeEzL's zip file and extract it to C:\. Run it. This should compile the server and leave you with a Server.exe

Everything above this line I believe is done perfectly

1. Copied server.exe from c:\ to c:\server
2. Copied file zlid32.exe from RunUO 2.0 to c:\server
3. Ran server.exe and received an error

I know I must be missing something but this is beyond my scope

Code:
RunUO - [www.runuo.com] Version 2.0, Build 2623.35941
Core: Running on .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727
Core: Optimizing for 2 processors
Scripts: Compiling C# scripts...no files found.
Scripts: Compiling VB.NET scripts...no files found.
Scripts: One or more scripts failed to compile or no script files were found.
 - Press return to exit, or R to try again.

WeEzL

Wanderer
OK, when you download the SVN source tree, you will end up with 3 folders... Data, Scripts, and Server. If you have downloaded it directly to your C: drive, then you should copy those folders into another folder similar to that of the RunUO distribution package.

Copy the Batch file I uploaded into the server directory and run it from there. That will generate the Server.exe. Now, copy that Server.exe out of that folder into the parent folder. Copy zlib32.dll into that same parent folder. Now DELETE the Server folder... you've compiled the server, you do not need the source for it anymore.

Alternatively (and highly recommended), create a folder, download the source to that folder and use that as the original. Copy the contents of the SVN folder to a second folder which will act as your working copy. That way the original stays untouched and you can update it using TortoiseSVN as you see fit. Then you can just copy changed files into your working copy once you have verified that they will not alter something else you have already altered yourself.

So, after that is done you should have a directory that looks something like this:
Code:
RunUO SVN
    Data
    Scripts
    Server.exe
    zlib32.dll
You should then be able to run the Server.exe and not receive any errors.

zartanian

Sorceror
mordero;661951 said:
the server.exe needs to be in the same directory as the Scripts folder

The file structure looks completely different from the RunUO 2.o I downloaded. There is no script folder in the svn directory. If I launch the server.exe it creates a scripts folder with a sub-folder of output c:server\script\output

I am thinking there is a step I missed

Khaz

Knight
I'm going to continue on from this one, as I thought you were using your 1.0 Scripts directory. See the next steps after the quote.

Khaz;661600 said:
Sure.

Download and install http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/. Restart when prompted.

Create a new folder at C:\ called Server. Right-click it and click SVN Checkout.

Change the "URL of repository" field to Revision 160: /devel/Server

Click Okay. That will pull down the RunUO core. When it's done, click OK.

Download WeEzL's zip file and extract it to C:\. Run it. This should compile the server and leave you with a Server.exe that you can then use in place of the RunUO 2.0 RC1 default. By this, I mean that you can copy the new Server.exe into your RunUO directory to overwrite the old one.

Navigate to C:\ and create a new folder called RunUO Checkout. Right-click it and click SVN Checkout.

Change the "URL of repository" field to Revision 160: /devel

Click Okay. This will take a while as it pulls down everything from the SVN server.

When it's done, click Okay. Right-click the "RunUO Checkout" folder, go to TortoiseSVN to expand the submenu, and select Export.

Choose where you want your root RunUO folder to be (for the purpose of this guide, it will be C:\Games\RunUO). Then click OK.

When the export is finished, click OK and navigate to the new folder.

Select the folder called "Server" and delete it.

Download RunUO 2.0 RC1 from here. Extract it to C:\RunUODownload.

Move zlib32.dll, zlib64.dll, and the "docs" folder from C:\RunUODownload to C:\Games\RunUO.

Copy your previously compiled Server.exe to C:\Games\RunUO. Execute it. Post here if you have further complications.

zartanian

Sorceror
Khaz;661956 said:
Select the folder called "Server" and delete it.

Download RunUO 2.0 RC1 from here. Extract it to C:\RunUODownload.

Move zlib32.dll, zlib64.dll, and the "docs" folder from C:\RunUODownload to C:\Games\RunUO.

Copy your previously compiled Server.exe to C:\Games\RunUO. Execute it. Post here if you have further complications.

My problem is I do not have the server folder

The file structure is all wrong

Khaz

Knight
When you point TortoiseSVN at "http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/", it will pull down everything within three folders at the root: Server, Scripts, and Data. I made an edit to my original post because this URL was wrong. Make sure you are pulling down from the correct URL.

Check this by right-clicking the folder, opening the TortoiseSVN submenu, and clicking Repo-browser. This will show you the URL that the folder is looking at.