RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member

Recently some of you have expressed anxiety over the fact that the UOGamers Revelation forums have been consolidated to the RunUO network.

Unfortunately for those of you who are bothered by this, it's not going to change.

In general the forum licenses are insanely expensive and vBulletin is still the top product out there. As such we've begun a project to bring all of our projects home to this forum. We used to keep them separated to not show them 'favoritism' but unfortunately in this economy every dollar counts.

All of the RunUO projects will be moving back to RunUO.com and RunUO.com will become the central hub for everything we do. The misc domains will redirect to the new home pages here at RunUO.com.

This change will save me well over a thousand dollars per year.

In light of that one of the things I'm going to look at doing is a vBulleting Modification to allow a content selection for the "New Posts" button. Until this is done you'll just have to bear with me.

HellRazor

Knight
Thanks for the update Ryan. Can totally understand about the costs. I'm mainly worried that this move will end up killing an already shrinking RUO development community. But I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to shell out so much money for multiple copies of the same forum software.

Hope you can put a filter for new posts in soon, that will surely help.

Appreciate the candor and open communication!

Thagoras

Sorceror
Thank you for looking into this...and everything you do!

Recently some of you have expressed anxiety over the fact that the UOGamers Revelation forums have been consolidated to the RunUO network.

Unfortunately for those of you who are bothered by this, it's not going to change.

It would just be nice if one could distinguish between the UOGamers Revelation and RunUO network (and others, if there be others) on sight from the NewPosts list. No big deal that all the forums' new posts come up with the same button.

-Thagoras-

HellRazor

Knight
Best solution in my opinion would be to have 1 set of forums for all of the official RUO shards, and 1 for the RunUO software and development. This would still involve 2 licenses which you may still not want to do, but these are 2 very different audiences and it would keep the 2 audiences separate. You could even consider taking up donations to pay for the forum licenses when they come up, with hundreds (thousands?) of people on the player shards it would seem to be pretty easy to come up with a few hundred every couple of years or so.

Just some thoughts, ideas and suggestions. And like Thagoras said, thanks for all you guys do! RUO has a great community and I only bring this stuff up because I like being here and I care.

Sythen

Sorceror
@Ryan...

Just wanted to say RunUO is awesome! I agree with HellRazor; I can't afford huge donations but I'd be willing to throw something your way for the separation of church and state...lol Seriously though, I enjoy creating my server, I enjoy helping people with theirs, and so it would make sense to divide the audiences up as HellRazor suggested. Is it possible to do that using subdomains? Like make RunUO.com for all general RunUO projects and a subdomain for the script releases and support. :)

I definately appreciate everything you've offered us. Thank you. :D

Draegen

Sorceror
Okay you pay for Msg board services.

Why dont you have some one create some. You got more then enough talent on runuo to make a msg board. I dont know if you ever cosider that but hell then runuo emu would be completly custom from webpage to msg board

I do see you pay some money a year it does cost. My next question is since runuo is bring there shards into one hub will you start supporting other peoples shard links.. like Maybe have a msg board where people can advertise.. there shard.. just to be fair... because if not any new runuo user will just see your shard and go straight too it instead seeing what else is out there. Just some insane ideas

Jeff

Lord
Draegen;859762 said:
Okay you pay for Msg board services.

Why dont you have some one create some. You got more then enough talent on runuo to make a msg board. I dont know if you ever cosider that but hell then runuo emu would be completly custom from webpage to msg board

I do see you pay some money a year it does cost. My next question is since runuo is bring there shards into one hub will you start supporting other peoples shard links.. like Maybe have a msg board where people can advertise.. there shard.. just to be fair... because if not any new runuo user will just see your shard and go straight too it instead seeing what else is out there. Just some insane ideas

The advertising board already exists at ConnectUO.com and assuming it will be swallowed up here as well, you can just use that forum.

Vorspire

Knight
I believe you guys have the skills, knowledge and talent to create your own awesome forum software and even make it open-source with it's own community..

The team has all of that... except time, which is the most crucial element IMO.

Jeff

Lord
Vorspire;860372 said:
I believe you guys have the skills, knowledge and talent to create your own awesome forum software and even make it open-source with it's own community..

The team has all of that... except time, which is the most crucial element IMO.

And the want to create one when one already exists.

Jeff

Lord
Vladamir;860462 said:
SMF is decent, PHPBB is decent, but Vbulletin is the BEST. Bar none. Too bad its so damn expensive.

SMF is a piece of garbage, actually its the best thing to use if you LOVE spam, and security flaws that can dump your entire http root... but who knows maybe some people like those features.

Deimos

Page
SMF has fallen behind quite badly in terms of forum updates/security, as Jeff said.

Vbulletin is good, but not as good as it once was, before Internet brands took it over.