RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Shard Owners: Future Development Tips

Murzin

Knight
kerwin, the problem with the larger files is that it can create the problem when even trying to make simple edit because with the larger files you could be intending to edit one part of the file but due to how large the file is you could unintentionally edit the wrong portion.

plus you would be occupying so much system resources checking what version of the item you are using it would cause an issue...

if you have 1 item container that holds numerous sub-parts without separating them into separate classes you would have to check what specific item/type you are dealing with at every step of the way. when you dont have a lot of stuff in the game world, it may not be that big, but when you get a pretty large world file with a lot of things in it... those checks at every step can become overwhelming.

Jeff

Lord
Kerwin;848563 said:
Also, a quote like that, without context, could also be making suggestions down to the point of needing to generate code. In my experience, I have found that it is usually time to fix problems when you find yourself copy-pasting too often.

I don't know what you are copy pasting, but there is very little copy pasting involved in creating items/mobs in RunUO... if you are copy pasting, you are doing it wrong. I thought i just explained that in my previous post... maybe i just wasn't clear enough... oh well.

Peoharen

Sorceror
Ahh I don't fully understand his post either.

Maybe he counts copying a blank file or snippets as copy/paste? I am so guilty of blank file copying is isn't funny... Srsly, I'm not even sure I can spell deserialization (firefox says I can't).

Murzin

Knight
i copy and paste the base outline of the mob/item and then go into my customizations from there

no need to re-type out all the basic things every item/mobile needs

Jeff

Lord
Murzin;848646 said:
i copy and paste the base outline of the mob/item and then go into my customizations from there

no need to re-type out all the basic things every item/mobile needs

Thats because you use notepad... if you used a real development tool instead of trying to pretend you are cool, you wouldn't ever have to copy paste again....