RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newb

B

bean-head

newb

i need a list of all the programs that i need to download to be able to script stuff into my shard

B

bean-head

i wasnt really clear as to what i meant how do i get into my shards scripting so that i can change stuff in it

psz

Administrator
Use notepad to edit the scripts in the script directory.

That's really about it.

Restart the server when you're done editing, so the changes can take affect.

B

bean-head

thats the problem im trying to get into the script of the game so i can edit it, or is this possible, i dont know ive never dont this stuff before

stormwolff

Knight
Find the script you want to edit
Open notepad
Drag the script into notepad
Edit what you want to edit
Save
Restart server

Thats really about it. Your making this harder than it has to be.

D

DragonDan

SharpDevelop

bean-head said:
i need a list of all the programs that i need to download to be able to script stuff into my shard
For the new and the old, drag and drop yourself out of the caves with note pad and use a real program. For Editing or Creating this by far is the program to use!!!!
Just follow this URL and download a copy for yourself!!!
http://www.AlphaSierraPapa.com
Anyone that scripts in note pad is stuck in the 486 age ..... Welcome to the 21st Century! :)

psz

Administrator
No, anyone using notepad A: Wants speed, and B: knows how to do what they want to do, without needing bloatware sucking up rescources.

B

bean-head

thats all and well but im still confused as to how to edit my stuff where do i go to do this not how do i get the stuff to put into this but where to go to edit, i also need to see this info on how to script so wherever you guys learned it could you send me a link or if its this website tell me which spot so that i can read it myself

bean-head said:
thats all and well but im still confused as to how to edit my stuff where do i go to do this not how do i get the stuff to put into this but where to go to edit, i also need to see this info on how to script so wherever you guys learned it could you send me a link or if its this website tell me which spot so that i can read it myself

If ya cant figure that out, "The easiest part" maybe you should not make a shard... It only Gets Harder From There!!!!!

B

bean-head

thats the thing the only way to learn is to experience and unless i can get to some place to tell me how so that i can experience ill never learn

stormwolff

Knight
nachtgeist03 said:
Except that notpad doesn't count lines for you, so when you're looking for something on line 1293...

Notepad does have lines you have to use the goto option. Edit > goto then enter your line number. It doesnt really matter though each person likes whatever he/she uses.

bean-head said:
thats the thing the only way to learn is to experience and unless i can get to some place to tell me how so that i can experience ill never learn

What are you trying to edit? We can't tell you where to look if we don't know what your looking for :)

Here are the basics of scripting:

First figure out what you want to change.

Then look in the runuo scripts folder and try to find the scripts that deal with the item, npc, or system you want to change.

Open up that script in whatever text editor you want to use and look at the script. Try to see what each piece of code does and why it does what it does.

If can't tell from looking at one script then look at a few scripts. Many scripts have common parts and all are C# programming.

You will get experience by diving right into the scripts start small and work your way up to big things. Your not going to be able to code a race system or factions over night. You will probably have to start with things like changing loot on an npc or changing what an item does when you double click it.

We can't tell you how to change everything and most of us won't. You want experience youll have to take a look at the scripts and learn how to understand them. We are here to help you understand them but we will not do the work for you.

Here is my suggestion for your next step:

Find what you want to change. Find the scripts that deal with that. Then do a forum search. More than likely somebody else has wanted to do something similar to what you want to do.

Also you want a link or something to a how to script site. Your on it. The forums are the best how-to site out there for runuo scripting. There are tons of posts full of questions, how-tos, errors, fixes, and more. If you want a c# guide im sure you can find some around the net or in your local bookstore.

B

bean-head

well thats the thing i need to know how to get to the point where i can enter scripts, im probably saying something wierd that doesnt make any sense i just want a link to someplace that will tell me how to do all of that shard stuff, so basically i need step by step instructions cuz i havent even gotten a taste of how to do this stuff, heck im only 15

G

GoldDraco13

nachtgeist03 is Offline:
Newbie Join Date: Oct 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Except that notpad doesn't count lines for you, so when you're looking for something on line 1293...

You Can find lines on note pad ... use edit on note pad top bar and hit goto ... enter number and your there =]

psz

Administrator
Ctrl-G will Goto the line you want. This works on pretty much all of MS's editors (Notepad, Wordpad, Works, Word, etc).

stormwolff

Knight
bean-head said:
well thats the thing i need to know how to get to the point where i can enter scripts, im probably saying something wierd that doesnt make any sense i just want a link to someplace that will tell me how to do all of that shard stuff, so basically i need step by step instructions cuz i havent even gotten a taste of how to do this stuff, heck im only 15

Bean your on the runuo help site. Look around there are instructions for everything you could want to do for your shard. Again if you don't share what you want to change we can no help you.

B

bean-head

ok now that i have my thoughts organized, i havent started anything on my script i need to know some of the first steps so that i can learn what to do next that is all i am asking, i need to know stuff like how to open my clients script and stuff or however you would say this, all i know is that i need the first steps to the entire deal

Rakshasas

Wanderer
Notepad didn't always count lines, it's a new feature that was added in windows 2000 and above.

I know for a fact windows ME, 98 and below don't have that in notepad.

Don't ask me about NT but I assume it doesn't either.

Anyway I'd use editplus 2 because of the highlighting feature (other programs have that as well, but I find editplus 2 runs nicely.) I have bad eyes so color coding really helps me.