RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newb

Kamron

Knight
On the note of lines and notepad, I do have an FAQ about how to take advantage of the goto line feature in notepad. Rak is correct, only NT5/XP and above.

It is easy though, to download a notepad.exe file from one of those operating systems, and use it on your old 98 or SE machine.

B

bean-head

alright, forget everything i have previously asked, is there a link that ive looked over that tells you how to do this step by step from beginning to end and through and through, just tell me that one

stormwolff

Knight
This topic tells you what to do, but ill try to put it some other way.

Find out if your using a router, firewall, learn your network setup, learn your modem setup.

Find out your external ip at www.whatismyip.com
Open runuo/misc/serverlist.cs in notepad or some other text editor.
Here is where you make a choice.
If you want to be a local only server put this in:

public const string Address = "127.0.0.1";

If you want other to be able to connec to it put this in:

public const string Address = "your external ip here";

If you choose to be local only ignore the next section.

If you choose to be public and you have a router/firewall you will need to forward the port 2593 to the computer running the server.

Router port forwrding is usually done by going to the router's ip and seting it up to allow tcp connections though a port range. You will need to visit your router manufacturuer's website to see how to do this. Most will tell you exactly what you need to do in the support section of that website. We are not your router manufacturer and I don't think you ever told us if you had one or what kind it was.

If you are using a software firewall you will have to allow runuo.exe to act as a server and to accept connections. Again you must look at the maker of your firewall. Each firewall is different and we do not know how to work them all here.

Once you have all that done you will need to setup your connection method. I suggest using uogateway. You can get it from www.uogateway.com. Get the full version. Install gateway and run it. I will assume you are running your uo client on the same computer as your server. If you are you will need to setup a custom local server entry. Do this by click on the words create custom local serverlisting in the my servers section of uogateway.

Enter the following info

Name: Any name you want
Description : Doesnt matter
IP 127.0.0.1
Select remove encrption
Save you settings

That will place a server listing for your server in the my servers section of uogateway. Use this to connect.

For others to connect to you shard you would have to make a public server listing on www.uogateway.com or give out your external ip to those who you want to connect.

This is a general summary. It assumes you are running the client and server on the same computer. If you would like more help you need to share more information.

B

bean-head

FINALLY, lol, ty for that somehow amidst all the notepad talk i missed all of what you just said to me. that was a great help

now one more question, how do i add the scripts that i do have into the game

Cthulhu

Wanderer
Try This

You've been told about Notepad for Windows. Have you tried it yet? It's one of the easiest things to use. Go into Accessories under your Start button and Pin To Start Menu. Whenever you need it just click Start and it's there.

To put in scripts you already have...Open up your RunUO folder you extracted into Program Files, go to Scripts and Right Click, select New, Choose Folder and name it Custom. Put your scripts in there that you downloaded from here unless it tells you otherwise.

I'll be honest with you Bean-Head...15 or not...not many here will hold your hand through this process. They expect you to try first then ask. And it helps greatly if you can provide a clear picture of what you want and the results you got from trying. There is a section below this, towards the bottom of the page, called Frequently Asked Questions. I suggest you read it thoroughly. I learned more just from reading posts here then I have anywhere else.

Muppet

Wanderer
Well most people create a new folder under your RunUO\scripts and call it something like "Customscripts" or anything you want to call it just so you remember. Just without the quotes.

Once most of us have edited a script we move the *.cs file to the Customs folder. The big part of this is that you keep you .cs files under the scripts folder. Anything under that folder will try to compile when you launch your RunUO server.

And remember once you make changes to a .cs file that you have changed the changes wont take effect until you stop and restart your server.

Another good habit to get into is to start a .txt file that has notes on the .cs files you have edited so you dont have to try to remember each and every line of script you have changed.

There are tons of web sites out there that have tons and tons of reference material you can start to read.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...con/html/vboriManagedDevelopmentStartPage.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/using/

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/

There are much more than these out there, but these links should keep you busy for awhile.

B

bean-head

thank you for you help, and I didnt expect anyone to hold my hand through the process ive been trying for hours to figure it out on my own i just didnt know the first step on what to do, so now ill get out of your hair until the next issue i cant resolve

Almassey

Sorceror
i just want a link to someplace that will tell me how to do all of that shard stuff, so basically i need step by step instructions cuz i havent even gotten a taste of how to do this stuff

The best thing you can do is read the FAQs. Being 15 doesn't have anything to do with it at all. If you really want to start and run your own shard, read up on the FAQ's, then start it up. Play with your shard, ie. different commands (see what you can do), spawn some small areas, just have fun with it.

I may be wrong, but you sound like you want to start it and go public all at the same time. Just open it up to yourself first and try different things till you learn what you are doing. That's how most of us learned anyways. Once you start playing around and start to find problems, then come to the forums to ask advice. Noone here is going to give you a step by step on how to run a shard because all shards are run differently, it's all up to you.