RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Nujel'm) Battle Chess

Arya

Wanderer
danknight21 said:
well yes i had noticed the problem with sum of the peices not moving right...however....found a new shard crashing problem

If a player click to add a staff member 2 the game and then right as they click accept and the player clicks cancel...the shard crashed

First of all the score is *not* the sum of the captured pieces. In chess each piece has a different value: pawn - 1, knight and bishop - 3, rook 5 and queen 9. The score is the sum of those values for all captured pieces. It gives you a vague idea of who's leading the game.

I have a hard time figuring out where that crash might be happening exactly. Could you get me a crash log please?

joantinet

Wanderer
[steel] said:
Just Arya, No Comment. :)

Wow, a real chess game in Nujel'm ChessBoard has been my dream since I first saw it. When I read the title of the post I didn't even care about the author, just wanted to know if what I was reading was real.

When I saw it was Arya's, everything made sense though...

From now on when I like something I will say it's Arya. "Dude this is so fucking Arya" LOL

JOhnny

Icon

Wanderer
Llyrwech said:
I had already been in the process of doing the same general thing, except I added the following starting at line 37:

Code:
			m_Piece.Str = 25;
			m_Piece.Int = 100;
			m_Piece.Dex = 100;
			m_Piece.Stam = 100;

The last bit was just my paranoia.

However, it works, now. Also, my rook is slowly regaining his health, finally, as well. Something must be quirky in his general initialization.

At any rate, thank you very much. It works wonderfully. Now, if only I could figure out how to edit Felucca rules to remove that blasted push-through issue.

Safe journeys,
Llyrwech

Well here u go enjoy :p

MapDefinitions.cs

Code:
RegisterMap( 0, 0, 0, 6144, 4096, 4, "Felucca",  MapRules.FeluccaRules|MapRules.FreeMovement );

Hk

koluch

Sorceror
Ran a test on my admin playing against, well only me(which could have resulted in the crash(es)
So only moving the black pieces. Upon taking the king, server crashed:
Code:
Server Crash Report
===================

Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600.0
.NET Framework: 1.1.4322.573
Time: 6/23/2004 11:58:44 AM
Mobiles: 10980
Items: 124692
Clients:
- Count: 1
+ 192.168.0.163: (account = Sharon) (mobile = 0x52 'Shazzy')

Exception:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Arya.Chess.Chessboard.PushGame(ChessColor nextMoveColor, Move move)
   at Arya.Chess.BaseChessPiece.OnMoveOver()
   at Arya.Chess.ChessMobile.OnLocationChange(Point3D oldLocation)
   at Server.Mobile.SetLocation(Point3D newLocation, Boolean isTeleport)
   at Server.Mobiles.BaseCreature.SetLocation(Point3D newLocation, Boolean isTeleport)
   at Server.Mobile.Move(Direction d)
   at Server.Mobiles.BaseAI.DoMoveImpl(Direction d)
   at Server.Mobiles.BaseAI.DoMove(Direction d, Boolean badStateOk)
   at Server.Mobiles.BaseAI.DoMove(Direction d)
   at Server.Mobiles.BaseAI.DoActionWander()
   at Server.Mobiles.MeleeAI.DoActionWander()
   at Server.Mobiles.BaseAI.Think()
   at Server.Mobiles.AITimer.OnTick()
   at Server.Timer.Slice()
   at Server.Core.Main(String[] args)
Solely due to the fact I used myself as pick opponant - cause if thats the issure, and its crashes the server, players could also select themselves and do the same :/
Really cool idea, I hope theres a simple answer to my crash question so I can add it to the Server!

Llyrwech

Sorceror
Heh Thanks a bunch, but I had found that in a very conveniently "Hot Topic" thread yesterday. XD

But yes, that works like a charm. Thanks for offering it.

Safe journeys,
Llyrwech

Kamron

Knight
I hav ehad this idea since 98, when I first saw the chest board. Arya, nice job, you did something I haven't had time to do. Great job, I can't wait to try this out.

Arya

Wanderer
koluch said:
Ran a test on my admin playing against, well only me(which could have resulted in the crash(es)
So only moving the black pieces. Upon taking the king, server crashed:

How could you have taken the king? I honestly never tried playing against myself (but that's something that won't happen in the next release), but you're not supposed to capture a king. You can threat a king (the king will then say *CHECK*) or you can put the king in a checkmate (and the king will then of course say *CHECKMATE*). However once a checkmate is done, the game ends and you aren't allowed to make further moves.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that by playing against yourself something will go wrong as the script might not understand whether you're black or white. I'll check it out though.

Llyrwech

Sorceror
koluch said:
...Solely due to the fact I used myself as pick opponant - ...

This isn't supposed to be possible, for the very reason you mentioned. I've fixed the script so that it won't allow you to challenge yourself. Here's what to do.

At line 235 of ChessGame.cs, you should see:

Code:
			if ( m == null || ! m.Player || m.NetState == null )

You have to add another if-statement before that line. Change it to look like this:

Code:
			if ( m == from )
			{
				from.SendMessage( "You do not think you would be an intelligent enough opponent." );
				return;
			}
			else if ( m == null || ! m.Player || m.NetState == null )

That way, you won't be able to choose yourself. Feel free to change the message if you like.

Safe journeys,
Llyrwech

Arya

Wanderer
What Llyrwech posted will do the trick. I'm uploading an updated version in a moment which will have this fixed.

Also I have just checked, and indeed that's the problem... by playing against yourself you can only move black pieces, and you can do things you aren't supposed to therefore breaking some of the assumptions made throuought the code. Try it by running two clients and two different accounts instead :)

koluch

Sorceror
Tremendous Work!

....and Im not even a huge fan of playing chess!!
Great job, works like a GEM!

Shazzy ;)

Knightshade

Wanderer
Arya,

tried this out last night with one of our GMs. We had a blast! This is really amazing work! You've got quite a talent for creative scripting, thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!

WebSiter

Wanderer
Thank Arya for this fantastic script, I like it very much and player of my shard start to play. Thanks for sharing.

Mortis

Knight
Great job.

I made a version of battle chess way back and posted it. But my idea was a bit different. I wanted the pieces to be able to fight for the death for the spot. (brought a bit of luck and not only skill into the game)

So made it that way. my vision was to create a version like in the Warlod of mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The Chessmen of Mars. Where Kings manipulated slaves on the human game board. The peices had to fight to the death to gain the spot.

It was not as involved as your version. I made the asumpion that like in real chess players knew the moves and how to play correctly.

But as allways your work is very good and appreciated here at runuo.com.

L

Link_of_Hyrule

works great but somethimes guys walk around for a while befor taking piece other then that i love it Have ya ever considered checkers next?

HadesUO

Wanderer
Link_of_Hyrule said:
works great but somethimes guys walk around for a while befor taking piece other then that i love it Have ya ever considered checkers next?

Yeah with playing in fel they cant walk over each other...

Arya

Wanderer
You can solve the movement problem by adding the following code to ChessMobile.cs:

Code:
public override bool OnMoveOver(Mobile m)
{
	return true;
}

I'll add an update including this fix later on.

Mortis, I knew of your battle chess game before releasing this, but given how a move results in a fight between the two NPCs it becomes pretty much a different game. If I remember correctly, one could train their pieces between games... that gives it a long term involvment, while my script is just chess ;)

Mortis

Knight
Arya. Yes. I did read your post saying another battle chess existed.

Your script is great. I would never say different. That is the best part of runuo. We can all do things in the way we aspire to accomplish it. :)

I have been thinking of redoing mine. It has a few things I do not like about the way it works now. Knowing yours exist. I will have to make sure it does not clash with it. Or you could play in a non felucca rules enviroment chooseing not to have the pieces fight to the death.

Yes, Mine is more like a gladiator event. Where you can train your peices. Or just play with them brand new. Depending on you and your opponents wishes.

HadesUO

Wanderer
Arya I was wondering since this is so much like wizards chess, would it be possible instead of u using an animation of the blue flame. When they take another persons piece could they strike em em dead then disapear..or make em all use a diff attacks or spells like lightning..soemthin to that effect? I think it would add to the game.

Kamron

Knight
A bug is that if the game is suddenly terminated when somebody is targeting, their targeting cursor should be removed (if possible). I say this even though there is an invalid selection because it still may be exploitable (dunno).

A few tweaks I would make.

First off, I would use two waypoints for the knight so he actually walks in an L shape.

Second, I would make sure to reset their direction so that the peices are always facing each other.

and last, maybe make the peices faster (so we don't wait for rooks to walk to the other side of the board)