RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orbsydia or RunUo?

happymarc

Squire
Should I get Orbsydia's Server or RunUO Server?

I'm not sure which has the most developed - in...

Is it possible to merge both so as to get everything from Both?

Thanks

Soteric

Knight
As far as I know Orbsydia is based on RunUO SVN so using Orbsydia you get everything from Both.

Kraz

AssistUO Developer
Staff member
Orbsydia is outdated (when compared to all SVN fixes), their custom stuff is terrible coded.
SVN is "most developed", Orbsydia has a few junk scripts you could use, try to merge, but start with RunUO SVN.

fwiffo

Sorceror
Even RunUO core has bugs, depending on how you count to use it.

For example, in core: map.cs, has a bug that in certain situations could cause a deadlock (while(true) with try{}catch{} trap, I had to use a debugger to find it, since it caused many deadlocks), using it with the actual framework (4.0) with correct /d:Framework_4_0 causes the problem, no problems with framework2, and other things that maybe are minor, but need in certain situations a fix.

tass23

Page
It also depends on what you want. If you don't care about any content past Mondain's Legacy, stick with everything from RunUO. Beyond that, you'll have to go with Orbs, because RunUO isn't supporting, or interested in adding content past Mondain's Legacy.

happymarc

Squire
Ok understood, now regarding RunUO and Mondain's Legacy at latest...

How do I make sure that at the character creation screen, I don't see Gargoyles as a Selectable race?

Psychologically, if i cant play the race, i dont want to see it as a possible selection at character creation... what do i do?

Thanks

tass23

Page
happymarc said:
How do I make sure that at the character creation screen, I don't see Gargoyles as a Selectable race?

It's client-side code, and without editing the client code, there's nothing you can do about it, accept force players to use a client version that came prior to Stygian Abyss. This version also has to be the one running on the server.

happymarc

Squire
Yes I found out that by using the free classic client that you can download from EA's site it works, it has humans and elves.

I think its a question of to which patch you stop updating...

Any ideas my good Ultima Friends?

fwiffo

Sorceror
It's client-side code, and without editing the client code, there's nothing you can do about it, accept force players to use a client version that came prior to Stygian Abyss. This version also has to be the one running on the server.
that is not exact, for example I can disable it, but without good ASM knowledge who can do it? For example I have already done it, it's simple.

m309

Squire
Just replace the gump image for the "Gargoyles" race button in your files with a blank .bmp image. The button technically is still present client side, but you and players won't see it. I did it and it works like a charm because as you said, if its not an option, who wants to see it?

Corpsecrank

Sorceror
Just replace the gump image for the "Gargoyles" race button in your files with a blank .bmp image. The button technically is still present client side, but you and players won't see it. I did it and it works like a charm because as you said, if its not an option, who wants to see it?

That is also technically the easiest way to "disable" that.

I got tired of orb in general because the biggest priority there is updating the forum for no apparent reason at which point all posts are cleared and you must re-register an account. It happened so many times that I can't even count them all. Nothing ever gets finished around there either. Things get started make some progress and then just die off and no one will simply admit that interest was lost and the project was closed. Because that is the way things are done all of the best members who used to be there left long ago. My guess is that like everything else Orb ever offered the server they provide will also never get any polish and finish on it and I would recommend avoiding it.

The real question is do you use the RunUO release version or the SVN and if your ok with possible bugs you may need to iron out on your own then go with the SVN it is the latest and most complete every time.

tass23

Page
Corpsecrank said:
I got tired of orb in general because the biggest priority there is updating the forum for no apparent reason at which point all posts are cleared and you must re-register an account. It happened so many times that I can't even count them all. Nothing ever gets finished around there either. Things get started make some progress and then just die off and no one will simply admit that interest was lost and the project was closed. Because that is the way things are done all of the best members who used to be there left long ago. My guess is that like everything else Orb ever offered the server they provide will also never get any polish and finish on it and I would recommend avoiding it.

And just what in the hell was the point with ANY of what you said here?

fwiffo said:
that is not exact, for example I can disable it, but without good ASM knowledge who can do it? For example I have already done it, it's simple.
What part of what I said was not exact? The fact that it is client-side code, because it's written right in the .enu file and you need a hex editor to go in and remove the packet data that displays that to clients? Why go through that explanation when you were happy enough to come along and say it's easy to disable, you already did it, but then not say how you did it? lol

and right above my post, you said:
fwiffo said:
hard coded in client side, you can't do that.​
That's almost what I said, accept I offered that you can go in and edit the client file, or by using a client version prior to Stygian Abyss. Since gargoyles were released as a playable race with Stygian Abyss, it makes perfect sense NOT to install that expansion and force your players to use a client PRIOR to the release of Stygian Abyss.

m309's idea is a good one, for existing players, but players that haven't downloaded the custom gumpart being used on your server will still see the button and can still use it.

rmacham

Sorceror
Use Orb if your wanting higher than ML Content - I'm using the Orb Server - however heavily modified, in both the core and distro.

But for simplicity, use the RunUO SVN - contains the latest fixes, scripts and data files.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Why not just support the latest client, with full race support for all 3. And then force the races you want on your player as their character is created...if you're worried about players being confused/upset. Send them a gump telling them why you don't want them being able to be a gargoyle or w/e. Editing the client, or client files involves patching to players. You'll still end up with a player once in a while that doesn't even have your patches...So forcing what you want server side, would simply be the easiest option. Client patching is a biatch, especially with CUO out of operation. Although there will be a new client launcher/listing coming out soon that will handle patching, so it won't be too big of a deal then...but we still have to wait for it (I'm sure as hell not talking about CUO 3.0, it'll never get done.)

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Use Orb if your wanting higher than ML Content - I'm using the Orb Server - however heavily modified, in both the core and distro.

But for simplicity, use the RunUO SVN - contains the latest fixes, scripts and data files.

If you have a free day, and don't mind spending the time. I would HIGHLY suggest you start with the RunUO svn, no matter the content you want. Then merge the Orb svn together with it, this way you can examine the code as you're doing it (don't wanna break anything) and remove/fix a lot of the buggy code.

Main reason I suggest this, is because the Orb svn is WAY behind in revisions when compared to the RunUO svn. And seeing as how the RunUO svn has recently has quite a bit of core work (doesn't happen to often) done to it...I'd definetely suggest the RunUO svn.

Hell...Orb is way behind on everything. They may have new items, mobiles, and support the gargoyle race (almost). But they are behind on RunUO revisions and like 60 something revisions on Nerun's Distro which they decide to incorporate into their subversion and never update.

Although...if you're lazy, don't know C# very well, and really want to play as a gargoyle that bad. Then just use the orb svn. But good luck getting support on their site. The site owner is a developer for VBulletin crap, so their forum is constantly being wiped/changed...he really should work with a different forum to do his crap.

rmacham

Sorceror
If you have a free day, and don't mind spending the time. I would HIGHLY suggest you start with the RunUO svn, no matter the content you want. Then merge the Orb svn together with it, this way you can examine the code as you're doing it (don't wanna break anything) and remove/fix a lot of the buggy code.

Main reason I suggest this, is because the Orb svn is WAY behind in revisions when compared to the RunUO svn. And seeing as how the RunUO svn has recently has quite a bit of core work (doesn't happen to often) done to it...I'd definetely suggest the RunUO svn.

Hell...Orb is way behind on everything. They may have new items, mobiles, and support the gargoyle race (almost). But they are behind on RunUO revisions and like 60 something revisions on Nerun's Distro which they decide to incorporate into their subversion and never update.

Although...if you're lazy, don't know C# very well, and really want to play as a gargoyle that bad. Then just use the orb svn. But good luck getting support on their site. The site owner is a developer for VBulletin crap, so their forum is constantly being wiped/changed...he really should work with a different forum to do his crap.

Yes, I have begun this process. I completely understand the need to update.

It's going slowly, me doing a bit here and there. It wasn't Gargoyles that made me choose Orbs - but Imbuing, however we all know how well thats going over at Orb.

So, I'm abandoning Orbs SVN for RunUO in the coming days, once I've done all the merging and switch over.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Eh, took me a few hours to merge the two. Don't see why it's taking you that long. May help to close your browser and messengers, may get more work done. ;)

rmacham

Sorceror
Hehe - I know :) - It's only because im in the middle of doing everything else aswell :)

Although, I have settled down and focusing on it now. Should be done in a hour or two if i keep constant attention to it :D

happymarc

Squire
Ok understood, Thanks a lot everyone for your input.

The only thing is that I would really like to have SA expansion playable with the Gargs, Mysticism, Spellweaving and TerMur...

But im not the best at programming.... So I'm looking to see what's out there and I do the little I can on it.

But I'd rather have a Solid ML Ultima then a not polished Orb style SA...

But thanks to you all you guyz, working hard on RunUO Cauz Ultima is the best game ever and i'm having so much fun with this... I always loved playing Ultima 7 and now thatnks to RunUO I have the Ultima ever to play, and that I can customize :)