RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orbsydia or RunUo?

And just what in the hell was the point with ANY of what you said here?

To be honest, he makes a good point

I noticed sometime back they seem to spend an awful lot of time moving between the org/com domains, dumping forums, then reopening them

I don't know what that's a sign of, other than it's bad practice to keep kicking people off the site and forcing them to re-register every 6 months.

tass23

Page
And there's never been any problems here, of course. 100% worry-free RunUO Gaming. Let me just jot that down in my notebook as the day of days.

As for the forums getting changed, the website going down or migrating, what does that have to do with the svn? Nothing because the svn has always been available. So again, I say, if you want just UO up to and including ML support, go with RunUO, but if you want UO up to and including SA, you have to go with Orbs svn. It's been said numerous times all over these forums that RunUO has no desires to get in to SA.

Vorspire

Knight
Go with the RunUO SVN every time, at least it's up to most programming standards - The Orb SVN is nothing more than a monkey-patch attempt at emulating SA, you'll be lucky to play on an out-of-the-box Orb SVN compile without crashing the shard within the first 10 minutes - A lot of the code is appauling. To give you a rough example of what you'llbe dealing with, the Orb SVN devs do not adequately secure their code against null references and I've even seen code such as:
Rich (BB code):
SomeMethod(Type t)
{
    if( t is Mobile ) //t is never Mobile - correct syntax is ( t == typeof(Mobile) )
    { }
}
While this will compile, it's still completely wrong and breaks the fundamentals of programming standards.

Basicaly what I'm trying to say is:

RunUO == Quality & Stability
OrbSA == Quantity & Verbosity (Bloated)

Neither of the options guarantee a crash-proof, stable and fully functional world, but you have a better chance at adding your own SA support to RunUO's SVN over wading through the masses of useless code in OrbSA, trying to fix their attempt at support.

happymarc

Squire
I've found out an answer to my question by working on it.

I'm now with RunUO SVN and ready to follow its updates, I've integrated the Gargoyle Race and all related equipment.

Now I need to implement the rest of the Skills related to SA, excluding imbuing and i'll be pretty happy with it.

By having integrated the SA content with the Latest RunUO SVN, I have the best base ever to work with.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still long ways before having all of SA implemented, but to have the gargies flying, with their Equipment, TerMur Spawned, Mysticism and Throwing working, I'm pretty happy :)

And on a side note, RunUO SVN is a real active work in progress, and you always get someone willing to help you on the RunUO Website Forums, On Orbsydia, it's a nice site, and their work has inspired me to start implementing the SA stuff, but I could never get an answer on my posts.

So for me the answer is: Go with RunUO SVN and then start working on implementing the extra things you want and learn to be satisfied.

Thanks guyz

Zagros

Sorceror
To be honest since the release of the RunUO based server the development community has got lazy. *and most of the people in it*
There hasn't been a real port, or a successful branch or a movement from the RunUO community thats ever taken hold and steadfast.

Everyones busy trying to figure out if their pixies can spit fire breath. Or following OSI as a leader updating things to reflect how someone else does things.

So everything that I read in this thread is a waste of time.

I applaud all the efforts its taken in the last 10 years to get this far... WAY TO GO.

You had a stable platform to work with almost 2 decades ago and people are just now starting to branch away again.
Dont hate progress if it wernt for less then .00001% of the world UO:X would have never evolved past itching balls.

happymarc

Squire
I use RunUo to create my own Version of Ultima Online because i'm a fan of Ultima Online and I like playing it...
Developement just for the sake of development is useless if you don't use it for a purpose.

Zagros

Sorceror
Nothings agenst you happymarc I am not good at making points but the thing was differentiation between OrbUO and RunUO as a mildly autistic argument.

Vorspire

Knight
I use RunUo to create my own Version of Ultima Online because i'm a fan of Ultima Online and I like playing it...
Developement just for the sake of development is useless if you don't use it for a purpose.

I've been developing RunUO stuff since 2005 and I've only ran a shard for 1 year in total - does that mean all of my development work is useless because I don't run my own shard, but still develop RunUO code?

happymarc

Squire
No we're cool Zagros :) I didn't get your point right away... I realize you meant Orbsydia when you mentioned spin-off initiatives... No worries.
And Vorspire... No I don't think all your dev meant nothing... I was talking too quick and didn't think through what I was saying.

The truth is that I love RunUO, it's so much fun, and I think that everybody's input is meaningful... it's what makes this website so great, so many poeple with so much experience.

mallorea

Wanderer
ok everyone keeps talking about merging orb and runuo svn but no one explains how to do this would i use tortoisesvn if so some explaination might be needed, please and thank you,

m309

Squire
WinMerge or better yet Beyond Compare 3 (thanks PureInsanity for turning me on to that one) would be the way to merge the core files, then compile with Visual or Sharp Develop or what have you.

mallorea

Wanderer
i downloaded beyond compare 3 and tried to merge it but i got errors maybe i did it wrong is there a tutorial for doing this?

LithosZA

Sorceror
Go with the RunUO SVN every time, at least it's up to most programming standards - The Orb SVN is nothing more than a monkey-patch attempt at emulating SA, you'll be lucky to play on an out-of-the-box Orb SVN compile without crashing the shard within the first 10 minutes - A lot of the code is appauling. To give you a rough example of what you'llbe dealing with, the Orb SVN devs do not adequately secure their code against null references and I've even seen code such as:
Code:
SomeMethod(Type t)
{
if( t is Mobile ) //t is never Mobile - correct syntax is ( t == typeof(Mobile) )
{ }
}
While this will compile, it's still completely wrong and breaks the fundamentals of programming standards.

Basicaly what I'm trying to say is:

RunUO == Quality & Stability
OrbSA == Quantity & Verbosity (Bloated)

Neither of the options guarantee a crash-proof, stable and fully functional world, but you have a better chance at adding your own SA support to RunUO's SVN over wading through the masses of useless code in OrbSA, trying to fix their attempt at support.

You probably meant something like this: (because it might for example be a PlayerMobile type)
Code:
SomeMethod(Type t)
{
    if(typeof(Mobile).IsAssignableFrom(t))
    {
    }
}

If the object itself was passed then this would be better to do:
Code:
SomeMethod(SomeType m)
{
    if( m is Mobile )
    { }
}

Vorspire

Knight
You probably meant something like this: (because it might for example be a PlayerMobile type)
Code:
SomeMethod(Type t)
{
    if(typeof(Mobile).IsAssignableFrom(t))
    {
    }
}

No, I meant what I meant, so you were right to state "probably".
In most cases the equal-to operator is more than enough, because more often than not, the right-side of the comparison will be a descendant or derived type, at the end of the hierarchy chain, I wouldn't expect it to be Mobile and have PlayerMobile passed to it for comparison, I'd be expecting the passed type reference to be a PlayerMobile and no other type, derived or not.
Consider that post as a minimalist example of the syntax used, but not the best example of the logic implied for the sake of simplicity.

Code:
static TypeOfMobile = typeof(Mobile);

bool IsMatchingType( Type t )
{
      return ( t.IsSubClassOf( TypeOfMobile ) || t.IsAssignableFrom( TypeOfMobile ) );
}

Considering I did state "While this will compile, it's still completely wrong and breaks the fundamentals of programming standards." -In reference to the example of the previous post.

Did you really make your account just to answer this thread? ;)

LithosZA

Sorceror
Did you really make your account just to answer this thread? ;)
lol, I was reading up on Orbsydia and saw the post.

What I was trying to say is that t == typeof(Mobile) will be false if t is typeof(PlayerMobile), but if you only expect the statement to be true when t is typeof(Mobile) then I guess it is right.

I agree that this is wrong: (Type and Mobile are two completely different classes and will never be true)
SomeMethod(Type t)
{
{ }
}

Sorry about going completely off topic here.

Vorspire

Knight
That being said, if you can afford the services of the likes of Vorspire (no offense), or you already have an education in C#, then take the RunUO SVN - maybe you'll fare better than most, and just maybe, you'll incorporate your own SA support.

No offence taken, I don't always charge a fee for my work, 80% of it is actually out in the open with VitaNexCore.
I also don't charge for advice and support or answering script support requests on these forums, but I usually target requests with zero replies and when I do, I make sure it's the only necessary reply other than a subsequent thanks from the OP.

Conversely, charging for my services as a developer was a bonus in recent years, but because freelance programming (both RunUO and outsourced 3rd parties) has become my official occupation, time is unfortunately equal to money and inherently related to putting food on the table. :)

--

The last time I voiced my opinion about the way things were going around here, I was banned for 2 weeks and my release thread deleted.
I'm over it now, can't be bothered to complain any more, no one is going to listen.
I'm not saying we should sit back and take it, what I am saying is, work within your means, eggs in one basket doesn't cut it, there are many communities outside of these forums and no one is forcing us to use these forums, face facts, we're just guests here, we come and go and while we're here, we just have to make-do with what we have, even if it isn't an great amount.