RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overload ... Memmory Leek or .. ?

Phantom

Knight
I forget what I thought was normal.

I think it was a response to binary saves, increasing in time or something...

Thats normal runuo is a program it will eat more memory at times based on usage ( thats just say thats what I meant ).

I would get more RAM... Anythign less then 1.5 gigs for a server is not enough.

Zippy

Razor Creator
The problems you are describing have nothing to do with "memory leaks" the nature of the C# language implies that a memory leak is not possible. Also a memory leak cant really cause a CPU spike. Please try not to speculate on things you know nothing about....

31000 npcs is a very large number of a player run shard, you can't really argue that. If you are using the default distro, your cpu spikes can ONLY be caused by NPC issues like having too many in a small area, which sounds likely if you've packed 31000 of them on to your shard, or hardware issues related probably to your network card(s).

I have KNOWN odd things to happen with network cards, and despite what others will tell you, this could be the issue.

Phantom

Knight
Zippy in regards to the cpu issue you were not talking to me right? But another user that said thats what he thought was his issue?

If you read into my comments that I said RunUO had memory leaks, thats not what I was going for. But memory usage will go up, as the overall performance is reduced or raise based simple factors ( more logins, less loogins, more players, less players, defrag of a hd, ect ect ).

Thats all I meant, when i said memory usage raising and falling is normal for a program.

If your not talking to me, this I suppose is just to clarify my previous post :).

Menta2K

Wanderer
i dont try to speculate and dont have 31000 NPCs(i have 183 NPC on hole server) but have this problem
I know that RunUo is the best server emulator for ultima severs its more colse to OSI then everything else
10x to all developers for that.
But problem realy exist..

About a nature of C# i read someware that if code is unmanaged GC dont work ...

I know C# is a language that eat alot of ram but 500MB is .. to much

Lets start thinking about some temp solutins .. right now i think to make one script with timer that every 10 min to get CPU usage and if its more then 85% to save and restart the server

Zippy will be very cool if u can give us some info how we can debug such a problems
and if u wont i can give u remote access to my server when again CPU go over 90% ..
Peblem exist trust me

Isn't 12,000 mobiles for trammel and felucca average/high?

say give trammel/fel 15,000 npcs. That means ishneral has 15,000 on one facet? 31,000 ... if my shard had that many i know i did something wrong.

habitat85

Wanderer
I have 128 SDRAM PC100 :shock:
And I dont lag up to bad on my shard but its not fully spawned.
If I have a mass spawn somewhere though I freeeze up bad like a champ spawn for example I will freeze up bad lol.

psz

Administrator
From my webstatus:

Memory 262.6 MB

Mobiles 23749
Items 159240

This is after the server's been up for 3 days (Restarted to fix a script a few days ago). It was up for nearly two weeks prior to that.

habitat85

Wanderer
On my PC I just checked using that program listed above for CPU usage that when I run the uo client my PC uses 100% CPU doesnt seem to give me a problem though im guessing 100% usage is normal?

Menta2K

Wanderer
psz said:
From my webstatus:

Memory 262.6 MB

Mobiles 23749
Items 159240

This is after the server's been up for 3 days (Restarted to fix a script a few days ago). It was up for nearly two weeks prior to that.

i dont have this problem on b33 on b 33 i have 3 weeks uptime .. but when i upgrade to b34 start te problems
Phantom said:
Get better hardware....
no comment
habitat85 said:
On my PC I just checked using that program listed above for CPU usage that when I run the uo client my PC uses 100% CPU doesnt seem to give me a problem though im guessing 100% usage is normal?
we dont talk about client we talk about server
Zippy:
NPCs= vendors+Monsters+guards or only Vendors+guards ?

psz

Administrator
Um... What problem? This is normal :-> This is the same output (basically) after three WEEKS of uptime ;->

Justin Time

Wanderer
Zippy,

I do know for a fact that if I release memory with my MemTurbo memory manager, CPU useage most defenitely does stablaize and yes I am aware that I do need better hardware and more specifically more memory. I think the CPU spikes are actually due to application using swap file.

Another thing I cannot seem to figure out, is the CPU spiking has nothing to do with amount of users online or what they are doing. It is most definetely tied to server uptime. I have never once seen any CPU spikes above 15% from RunUO process until server is up for at least 2 hours. Server runs fantastic until something triggers high CPU cycles.

As far as .net not having memory leaks, your right, I am not sure if this is the case or not but I can tell you after 1 day of server uptime the RunUO process is definetely taking much more memory then it did when I start it. Wether or not this is actually a memory leak, I do not know. I just do not know why else server would be taking more memory after period of time.

I am not trying to bust on RunUO at all here. It is by far the best EMU out there and I have been using it very happily for quite some time now. This is really the only issue I have with the server.

Phlegyas

Sorceror
An interesting article:

How to create/avoid memory leak in Java and .NET?
http://www.agiledeveloper.com/articles/MemoryLeak092002.pdf

I don't know the validity of the source, but I found the article interesting.
Hard to read though, because it looks like the fonts are a bit off in his pdf.

BTW, I too am seeing a continual increase in mem usage. I have de-populated Trammel for now, but I still start at ~120MB RAM, and continue to climb. Here's where I'm at now (after only 5 hours):
Server Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
Uptime 00d 05h 36m 44s
Memory Available 512 MB
Memory Used 163.9 MB
Connection OC3
Accounts 640
Players Online 5
Mobiles 14732
Items 131425

One thing I've noticed is that most of the WebStatus/WebPlayers/WebGuild type scripts don't ever close the StreamWriter. I'm not sure if this has any effect at all, but I will watch my memory, and hope that it stabilizes at some point.

Thanks

Phantom

Knight
One thing I've noticed is that most of the WebStatus/WebPlayers/WebGuild type scripts don't ever close the StreamWriter. I'm not sure if this has any effect at all, but I will watch my memory, and hope that it stabilizes at some point.

Two of those are custom files....

psz

Administrator
I've had no memory increases thusfar, but the only one of those that I use is a modified webstatus.

I could be running for a day or a month, and it'll be more or less what I posted above.

psz

Administrator
I'd show you mine, but I'm at work.

It hangs around, oh, 0% CPU usage most of the day (with the occasional spike to 12 that lasts a second or so)

If I turn the player sensative range off, it hovers at 10-20% CPU all day.

Menta2K

Wanderer
man my player sensitive is true ...
why to post here if i dont have problems its standart RunUO instalation .. i can post all of the scripts .. but why .. ... NO custom scripts