RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Own Updater for the Client

stepi

Wanderer
Hi, I just made client for the server but I also would like create automatic updater. Do you know any simple script?

Vorspire

Knight
You might have better luck posting in the General Discussion board, as far as providing an automatic updater, there is no 'simple script' - You have to build a self-extracting package/archive with the files you want the user to install and just have them download that, or you can write a patcher that would download and extract the packages for you. Then you have to consider the type of patches you want to supply - the easiest route is to fully replace changed files, otherwise you'll have to implement some sort of instruction set that applies sections of data to the target files and rely on 'merging' changes.

fwiffo

Sorceror
I've written one using NSIS Installer + xdelta3 executable (excellent for progressive patching, similar to what osi was doing in the past) + 7zip and a wrapper that is public on the google code page of xdelta3 (with the wrapper you can do directory patching, since xdelta3 is file based patching), I've even written another wrap in c#, If I find it I'll put into that googlecode page too.
And of course a lot...lot...lot of time and patience.
One single error and you're screwed, not counting that you have to take into account at least the OSes from Windows2k to Windows 8, that's what I've done and the result is quite good...And it's not even that difficult.