RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pandora+Vista=?

Dreadfull

Sorceror
Pandora+Vista=?

I have tried 2005/2006/2007 version of pandoras box. I have been able to setup the pathing and I get to the point where it starts loading the apearance and then it crashes. I have net framework 1.1 and 3.5

Not sure what else to say other then RunUO 2.0 RC1 and Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.

you also need .net 2.0 i do believe

and get ride of 3.5 and use 3.0

unlike 3.0 (and 2.0 over 1.1) - 3.5 overrides some stuff in 1.1 & 2.0

Kitchen_

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;791634 said:
you also need .net 2.0 i do believe

and get ride of 3.5 and use 3.0

unlike 3.0 (and 2.0 over 1.1) - 3.5 overrides some stuff in 1.1 & 2.0

Yea, get "ride" of new technology for old software. Great advice.

Dreadfull

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf, I will check into that. Many thanks.

Kitchen_ I trust Lord_Greywolf with his knowledge of runuo and the third party programs that are used for it. Not to mention your post seems less helpful and somewhat bashing.

HellRazor

Knight
In this case, not all of the .NET framework advice is good advice in my opinion. Each version of the .NET framework you have installed stands alone. The whole point of .NET's versioning system was so that different versions could run side-by-side.

The version of the .NET framework you need for a particular program depends on what version of the framework that program was developed under.

You can have multiple versions installed and they don't override one another. Essentially your programs compiled for NET framework 3.5 will use that version. Your programs compiled for other versions of the NET framework will use those as long as you have them installed.

The only thing removing 3.5 will do is it will cause your programs developed for NET framework 3.5 to be incapable of running.

The reason Pandora's Box is not running for you is probably because it was not compiled for either 1.1 or 3.5, the two versions you say you have installed. Try installing .NET framework 2.0 first, if that doesn't do it, install .NET 3.0. You don't have to uninstall any of the other versions.

P.S. I haven't tried this, but here is a little utility that will tell you which versions of the .NET framework you have installed.

http://www.asoft.be/downloads/netver2007.zip

it is also writen deep in the MSDN files that depending on when .net 3.5 was installed (it has multiple versions that are not easy to tell which you have) overwrote some functions in 1.1 and 2.0 when they they should not have upon its instalation, messing them up

a removal of it then a fresh instal of 1.1, 2.0 & 3.0 and then if needed 3.5 does fix it

but the origional pandoras (2.5) used 1.1 and will not work with the origional instals of 3.5 from its beta stages and 1st full release (before it was fixed), when was a standard windows upgrade for vista for a long time

Yea, get "ride" of new technology for old software. Great advice.

and yes sometime new technology is not good - just look at ME (Mistake Edition as it is now called) for that when it came out
and what was it DOS 3.2 (forget exact number) that had more bugs in it than any other OS until ME came out
or Rambus memory - that was a great tech boom there, that is why it was dropped so fast and replaced with DDR
new technology is not always the best

Jeff

Lord
There is nothing wrong with .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5. The issue here is more than likely Vista's UAC. You need to do 1 of 2 things, start the application as an Administrator, or disable UAC. PB works fine for me on Vista.

P.S. Vista comes with .Net 2.0 Native... so its obviously not .Net. Lord Greywolf, please stop telling people .Net 3.0, 3.5 is causing issues, its not, get over it.... this is like the 5th time you've mislead users...

Kitchen_

Sorceror
Dreadfull;791651 said:
Lord_Greywolf, I will check into that. Many thanks.

Kitchen_ I trust Lord_Greywolf with his knowledge of runuo and the third party programs that are used for it. Not to mention your post seems less helpful and somewhat bashing.

His answer is the equivalent of me telling you to uninstall Vista and to get XP. While that would work, there is probably an different solution that wouldn't be as drastic.

Dreadfull

Sorceror
< Installed .NET Frameworks >
.NET FW 1.1 SP 1
.NET FW 2.0 SP 2
.NET FW 3.0 SP 2
.NET FW 3.5 SP 2

and UAC is off.

HellRazor

Knight
Does it crash or just lock up? One of the issues Pandora's Box has is that the profile system it uses is buggy. Sometimes there is a prompt that is supposed to appear that sits in the background where you can't view it. If it just appears to lock up, see if cycling through your windows pulls up a hidden prompt.

Jeff;791665 said:
There is nothing wrong with .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5. The issue here is more than likely Vista's UAC. You need to do 1 of 2 things, start the application as an Administrator, or disable UAC. PB works fine for me on Vista.

P.S. Vista comes with .Net 2.0 Native... so its obviously not .Net. Lord Greywolf, please stop telling people .Net 3.0, 3.5 is causing issues, its not, get over it.... this is like the 5th time you've mislead users...

i never said said 3.0 causes problems, and 3.0 comes with vists - it is installed on 2 computers in this house, and they had to install 2.0 to get pandoras to work on them, so 2.0 is not native to all vista versions

and if you read what is said it was Certain versions of 3.5 that caused it

and i know 1st hand that it does happen, because i installed 3.5 when it 1st came out
and then i could not run runuo any more, or pandoras, both would crash out with a windows closing error

called MS up, guess what the tech had me do - uninstall all .nets then reinstall them but not install 3.5 - why because that version was bugged
he pointed me to some page in MSDN librairy to explain it all, wish i still had the link
but they do not want people to know it was, so it has not been let out on it - it only effects a few functions, and thus only a limited number of programs get messed up from them
so they quietly changed it to where new version does not effect them
and if any one has problem with it, they say must have been a bad download or what ever origionly and they have them just uninstall and re-install

so say what you want
i know what happened to me 1st hand, and how they had me fix it, and that it worked

Quick_silver

Sorceror
Can you post the content of: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<your Name>\Anwendungsdaten\Pandora's Box 2\Log.txt
Or the English version ;)
Is there such a file?

Dreadfull

Sorceror
will do that next. I was able to run the program and the splash screen would stop and then it would still be running in the process/task manager but not able to be seen anywhere. I uninstalled 1.1 and 3.5 and 3.0..there is no way that I can see in vista to remove 2.0 and everytime I try to install it it keeps telling me that it is already installed or not for this version of windows.

I also unsinstalled pandora. Will test out some more and post my progress/findings.

Alright after uninstalling everything i could with net framework and reinstalling pandora. 2005 works fine. Though 2007 will load the splash screen and then will stick in as a background process but it will not come to the front or be seen anywhere else other then the taskmanager.

Quick_silver

Sorceror
I just compiled Pandora with VS 2008 (on XP) but fixed many bugs that happens on startup.
You can replace your pandora.exe with this one. Maybe it helps.
I set the version number to 2.1.0.0 so you can identify it.

I plan to merge it with the changes from this version later: Forum post

If you still have problems, post the logfile please.

Attachments

• Pandora.rar
    343.5 KB · Views: 32

HellRazor

Knight
Quick_silver;791720 said:
I just compiled Pandora with VS 2008 (on XP) but fixed many bugs that happens on startup.
You can replace your pandora.exe with this one. Maybe it helps.
I set the version number to 2.1.0.0 so you can identify it.

I plan to merge it with the changes from this version later: Forum post

If you still have problems, post the logfile please.

QS, can you also post your updated source?

Thanks,

HR

Quick_silver

Sorceror
Hm okay, this are the code parts I modified. Not the whole code (was a 5MB achive oO)
I hope I did not missed anything ;)

Attachments

• Pandora 2.1.0.0 - part.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

Smjert

Sorceror
Quick_silver;791729 said:
Many fixes I made are also in the Pandora3 project I just found: pandorasbox3 - Google Code
I want to join the project and submit my code there, too.

We have a lot of things to follow (our shards mainly) but we are not dead.
We always welcome new people who want to help, so contact me ;).

Dreadfull

Sorceror
System.ArgumentException: The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter name: chars
at TheBox.Pandora.StartingContext.LoadProfile(String name)
at TheBox.Pandora.StartingContext.DoProfile()
at TheBox.Pandora.Main(String[] args)

I get that at load from the pandora version you compiled. Also when using pandora 2.0.0.5 the travel system doesn't work other then malas and tokuno.

[Log File]

Pandora's Box - Log
Pandora version 2.0.0.7

2/23/2009 11:14:29 AM
Windows version: 6.0.6001.65536
Processor family: Intel Pentium
Physical memory: 1048575

[11:14:29] Starting
[11:14:29] Normal startup initiated
[11:14:29] Double instances check passed
[11:14:29] Reading profile DD
[11:14:30] Profile read succesfully
[11:14:30] **** ERROR ****
System.ArgumentException: The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter name: chars
at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow()
at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow(DecoderNLS decoder, Boolean nothingDecoded)
at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, DecoderNLS baseDecoder)
at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, Boolean flush)
at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex, Boolean flush)
at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex)
at System.IO.BinaryReader.InternalReadOneChar()
at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read()
at System.IO.BinaryReader.PeekChar()
at TheBox.MapViewer.MapViewer.GeneratePatchData()
at TheBox.MapViewer.MapViewer..ctor()
at TheBox.Box.InitializeComponent()
at TheBox.Box..ctor()
at TheBox.Pandora.StartingContext.LoadProfile(String name)
Additional information: Profile DD failed.