RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PANDORA'S Box VISTA HELP ME

toxica

Wanderer
PANDORA'S Box VISTA HELP ME

HI you all,
I am sorry to bother you all with my problem. I have vista and try to get working Pandora's Box on my computer. I know more people have this problem, but untill now i don't got any answers why it does not work. Tried a couple of things, but nothing.
When it's loading it disapears after a while. Reclicking it, it says i can't run it twice. Can somebody please help me to get it work? I am a real newbie , and don't even understand where to put my fingers !!!!
Thanks for the replies in advance :)
(by the way, don't need to know if it works perfectly on other computers! I NEED HELP)

HellRazor

Knight
I remember reading that sometimes the profiles prompt gets stuck in the background.

Try cycling through your windows using the icon at the bottom left of your screen (near the Start menu button) and see if there are any windows for Pandora waiting for action from you.

Hammerhand

Knight
Try deleting the current profile and making a new one, but dont set it as default. Dunno if this will work with Vista or not, but it got my Pandy's beta7 working just fine on XP. Worth a shot. :)

toxica

Wanderer
And How can i create a new profile? (yes i know stupid question) but i am so stuck, that i don't know anything anymore

Underdog

Wanderer
Try pushing alt+tab to see if Windows defender is asking permission to run it. I had to do that to finally see why the screen was freezing (lol).

If not that, when you first load up Pandora's, it will create your first profile. If you have done this already, find the actual file of your profile on your computer, and delete it. Pandora will then let you create another one.

This fixed the problem I was having in Vista where Pandora would load up just for a second and then disappear, but yet still run in the background.

I'm running Vista 64-bit.

If none of the following works, close Pandora from your background, uninstall it, then install it straight to a folder on your desktop, I've read that this helps some users.

Hope this helps.

toxica

Wanderer
Thanks Underdog

[If not that, when you first load up Pandora's, it will create your first profile. If you have done this already, find the actual file of your profile on your computer, and delete it. Pandora will then let you create another one.]

Where can i find that file? I know i sound REALY stupid asking that, but i can't find it anywhere!!!!

Trip3033

Sorceror
toxica;774132 said:
HI you all,
I am sorry to bother you all with my problem. I have vista and try to get working Pandora's Box on my computer. I know more people have this problem, but untill now i don't got any answers why it does not work. Tried a couple of things, but nothing.
When it's loading it disapears after a while. Reclicking it, it says i can't run it twice. Can somebody please help me to get it work? I am a real newbie , and don't even understand where to put my fingers !!!!
Thanks for the replies in advance :)
(by the way, don't need to know if it works perfectly on other computers! I NEED HELP)

have you tried intalling framework v1.1 because vista comes with framework 2.0 but you need 1.1 for pandoras box.

Murry

Sorceror
I got the same problem. Except mine freezes right when it says creating profile. It sat on my computer like that for about 4 hours. There is nothing running in the background. and there has been no profile that has been made yet because it has not got that far. I installed 1.1 and 2.0 and it does the same on both.
If anyone has any more ideas that would be great!!
im using vista home premium 64 bit.

Ok im all fixed now. It was running the profile set up in the background so I couldn't see it. After hitting alt tab I found it and im all set now. Thanks anyway!!

HellRazor

Knight
It's not just Vista, the whole profile system in Pandora has been problemic since day 1. I wouldn't mind seeing somebody stripping it out entirely.

toxica

Wanderer
Hope it will be soon! Just realy need it to decorate. ANy other solutions or programs to help me? (who will work with vista)

Murry

Sorceror
I got it to work. It was my own stupidity.. when it got stuck at creating profile I just hit alt tab and it was running the profile settings in the background. it works fine for me now..

Lysdexic

Sorceror
Uninstall Pandora.
Right click on the Pandora installer.
Choose properties.
Click on compatibility tab.
Place a checkmark in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and "Run this program as administrator.
Choose OK to close menu's.
Run installer.
Open installation folder and repeat the compatibility steps on the Pandora executable.
Run Pandora.
Press ALT+TAB to bring menu to front of splash screen.

toxica

Wanderer
Thanks . I've tried it, but can't place a checkmark in front of run this program as administrator.eventhough i am the administrator. It seems like pandora just don't want to get on my computer ..... pfffffffff (or maybe it's my ignorance !)

HellRazor

Knight
toxica;774935 said:
Thanks . I've tried it, but can't place a checkmark in front of run this program as administrator.eventhough i am the administrator. It seems like pandora just don't want to get on my computer ..... pfffffffff (or maybe it's my ignorance !)

Try turning off User Account Control in Vista.

Control Panel / User Accounts and Family Safety / User Accounts / Turn User Account Control On or Off

Uncheck the box.

HellRazor

Knight
With that turned off, you don't need to try any of the "run as administrator" stuff, as its not a permissions issue with Vista. (Vista by default has that turned on which sometimes results in programs not being able to run due to permissions issues).

Wish I had some other suggestions for you. As others have mentioned, the profile prompts sometimes pop up in the background where they can't easily be seen. If you've already tried cycling through your active windows to find it I'm not sure what else to do. :(

toxica

Wanderer
Thanks alot all. You're all very nice to have tried to help me ;)
Today i came up with the idea to create whole new profile on my computer, a second one. I installed Pandora, and what happens? It worked!!!!! WEll as i thought so. After closing it down, and restarting the program i had same problem as in other profile, it dissapeared. But i remebered that someone said not to make the pandora 's profile default. So i created the third profile on my computer, and intalled pandora again. There it was again, and this time i didn't make the profile default. So now the only way to keep on going with pandora is everytime creating a new profile when i open it. It's not handy, but at least i can use the program. At the end, I start to hate my portable !!!!! was getting close to throw it out of the window...Or at least wanted to kill bill Gates, or who ever is responsable at microsoft for my VISTA. Bet Billy Boy don't have any problems managing his computer hihihihii!!!!! THANKS AGAIN..

Lysdexic

Sorceror
HellRazor;774964 said:
Try turning off User Account Control in Vista.

Control Panel / User Accounts and Family Safety / User Accounts / Turn User Account Control On or Off

Uncheck the box.

Turning off the UAC is a bad idea. Numerous subsystems pass through the UAC and with it disabled entirely you can cause improper installations of both software and hardware (especially printers). There is a much easier way to alleviate yourself from the UAC prompts, but not disable it entirely.

First, turn the UAC back on.

If you don't have a Home version of Vista, run gpedit.msc, go to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options and change "User Account Control: behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode" to "Elevate without prompting". This setting just elevates without the prompt for anything run under your credentials, but still suppresses other credential elevations that malware frequently use. It also makes it so that Standard Users still have the UAC at all times (perfect for the kids).

If you do have a Home version, you don't have gpedit.msc. Other than suggesting paying the extra $99 for at least Business Edition, you can still change this setting using Regedit. Of course, the standard "you need to be careful editing your registry, but you're a big kid now so I won't push the warning anymore" applies. If you browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, you'll find a key called ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin. Change it's data to 0 and you'll have the same effect as the above settings.