RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

port open, firewall off, still no dice

PBPBPB

Wanderer
port open, firewall off, still no dice

so, i'm trying to do some pre-release tests and i've moved my server to a new ip. i've opened the port, turned the firewall off, etc, etc.

still no dice. still get the "cannot connect at this time" message.

can't even connect from a computer on the same network.

server is XP. i've done some searches and they all seem redundant, repeating the basic process of opening ports and discussing routers, etc.

anybody experience connectivity issues that go beyond the basics.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
okay, got connectivity up and running.

now, click on my TC and it freezes. on the connecting screen.

server shows 1 user at character screen, but i'm not at character screen. i'm frozen on connecting.

ideas?

more info: i get this error when attempting to connect to my server from an outside location:

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Assistant.PacketHandlers.ServerSetWarMode(PacketReader p, PacketHandlerEventArgs args)
at Assistant.PacketHandler.ProcessViewers(ArrayList list, PacketReader p)"

no crash report because the server didn't crash. it's just a "warning".

when logging in, the server indicates that 1 person is connected and at the character list screen. however, the player screen is stuck on "connecting".

PBPBPB

Wanderer
aw, my bad. runuo 2.0 rc2

i don't think it's a razor problem cause i have all the frameworks installed.

server is XP and computer trying to connect is vista.

also, an odd thing: i get that error when i try to login with my non-admin account. however, when i try to login with my owner account, it still won't connect (freezes on "connecting"), but the error screen doesn't come up.

not sure why... i mean a packet viewer warning is a packet viewer warning, regardless of the account... at least, i would think.

anyway. thanks in advance for the help.

Soteric

Knight
What is your client version? Fot the latest 6.1.0.14 (or whatever is it) you need to compile SVN source code. RC-2 won't work with it

doaker

Wanderer
I use RC2 2.0 and i have client patched at 6.0.10 and it works right. the IP is in Serverlist.cs and the port is in SocketOptions.cs dont know if this helps you but this is where it at .

PBPBPB

Wanderer
never had issues connecting when logging in directly to the server.

UO says it's 6-0-14-3

not sure what that tells you. so if i download the svn or whatever, what is going to happen to my scripts? can i just roll my client back instead? how?

thanks.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
okay. this doesn't make any sense. i've done everything i can think of. even tried to set my server back to null to see if it would pick it up automatically. it still brings up the server in server list and still freezes when i hit connect.

still, on the server side, it shows that 1 user is connected and at the character selection screen.

i really can't think of what would be causing this.

anyway, just letting you guys know that i'm still working on it and i still don't see any other posts to solve the problem.

Darky12

Sorceror
if you are using third party firewalls other then Windows firewall and still open the ports it sometimes gets fishy.

Also depending on your router if you are using one, Some are more sensitive then others, i used to run rather try to run a server with a netgear router, i did everything still no luck. Went out the next day and bought myself a different brand router did the same setup and wallah.

just a story i wanted to share..

But my advise is to logon to you router, try and find a DMZ option go to hosting computer go to run type cmd, then type ipconfig. the ip will be the Lan ip you need to put in to the DMZ this will pretty much rule out a firewall problem. I'd also turn of the windows firewall problem during this test.

if it works just turn on the windows firewall, then try again, still works, take disable the DMZ if it stops working you know where your problem is.

NOTE: Doing this pretty much means you have no firewall during this test.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
UPDATED, server moved

UPDATE:

i moved the server and i'm running into an interesting problem now. it no longer freezes. instead, when you log into the server, it says "not responding".

here's the updated information:

1) server is XP
2) connected through netgear router
3) 2593 is open on the computer and forwarded on the router

all of the above is done correctly. i checked it with canyouseeme.org and the server recorded the ping.

now, strangely enough, when i try to login using the IP address given by ipcionfig, they get an immediate "not responding" message. so, instead, i tried using the ip address that canyouseeme indicated, which is a 74.197.... number (a mask, right?)

it tries to work. with that number, i try to login with either a user or admin and things happen like this:

1) user logs in using the IP address
2) server reads "valid credentials for -----" and "client connected 1 online"
3) user chooses the server (Test Center)
4) user receives "server not responding message": "client could not attach to the game server. it must have been taken down"
5) server reads "disconnected 0 online"

and that's it.

so, the port is obviously open and forwarded or it wouldn't read the activity, right?

MORE INFO:

client is running with net framework 2.0.50727
runuo build 2.0 - 2959.20979
restricting client to 6.0.13.0
client is actually 6.0.14.3

if you need any other information, let me know.

i realize that this might be an encryption problem, but i need to know how to fix it.

thanks so much!

pb

Soteric

Knight
These threads are relative to this problem

http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/97392-can-not-log-svn-336-a.html
http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/97513-how-get-runuo-rc2-work-6-0-14-2-a.html

The problem with supported versions comes from OSI changing data protocol. I don't research what where and when was changed but any changes like adding new packet to client-server transfer protocol or changing some bytes in existing packet or changing bytes order or anything else can ruin the work of RunUO. So after OSI changes something it should be changed on RunUO server to support the new version

RC-2, the mostly used by community due to its precompiled status and working out of the box, was released on 02-07-2008. So it 100% works with OSI clients that were existed on that moment (personaly I don't remember its version, something like 6.0.1 should work). RC-2 is equal to SVN ~280 or so (I don't remember exact version). Time passes, OSI produces the new patch and changes something in protocol (let's say 6.0.2 patch). So RC-2 doesn't support 6.0.2 version and you get all those connected-disconnected lines on console screen. That's not a problem of firewall or forwarding - if you see something on console that means that connection established and all the problems are now going to RunUO, how it acts with packets sent from client

So 6.0.2 released but RunUO doesn't support it. RunUO team (don't know who is working on RunUO developing now) provides support for 6.0.2 by slightly changing RunUO core area responding for network connections. Then it publishes as a new SVN version. Not RC-2! RC-2 stays the same version released on 02-07-2008. Now something about SVN ~290 can support 6.0.2 clients but RC-2 can't

Time passes. OSI releases new patches, client version grows (6.0.3, 6.0.4 ... 6.0.14.2, 6.0.14.3), SVN versions grow too (SVN 300, 310, 327, 349 ... ). I don't know what version supports what clients, those numbers were random generated. But I hope you got an idea. You should work with RC-2 and client patch released on that moment or constantly update to the latest SVN to support the latest OSI patches. I think something like the table with SVN versions and OSI pathces supported by those versions could be very helpful for community

I can't tell anything about patching client to the version you needed. All I remember client downloads and applies patches one by one and we had to disconnect from Internet when the needed version was applied. But that was long time ago, I think there should be more advanced ways of patching rather than shaman dancing and cowboy clicking on disonnect button :D

PBPBPB

Wanderer
okay. i'm going to reinstall UO and stop the patch before it gets too high.

i looked at those threads and they seem to make sense.

here's another set of questions concerning our problem... probably why people thought vista had something to do with the issue:

if it's a patch problem, why am i able to log into pretty much every other free shard out there?

i'm using client 6.0.14.3, so what version of runuo are they using that makes their shards work?

why can i log without a problem when using a 6.0.14.3 patched client from my XP server?

Soteric

Knight
So what RunUO do you run? RC-2, SVN or some versions with ML support from script releases sections of the forum? If SVN what version?
Code:
doesn't make sense

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811249 said:
So what RunUO do you run? RC-2, SVN or some versions with ML support from script releases sections of the forum? If SVN what version?
Code:
doesn't make sense

when you load your runuo server, there is a list at the top as the server loads. it talks about restrictions and versions and how many processors are being used and all that. i don't know what that number means, but it is one of the first things that the server pops up. maybe it's some kind of personalized serial number or something. either way, it's still RC2 downloaded directly from here: http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/89725-runuo-2-0-rc2-download-link.html and no core mods.

see next post for updated checklist and NEW information.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
okay. update.

as per the most often suggested solution to the problem, i rolled-back my server to 6.0.5.0 and the problem remains the same.

for our purposes here, i'm going to keep it at 6.0.5.0 so that i won't have to repeat that fix for future possible fixes.

so, here we are now:

{Server Side}
1) server is RC2 from here: http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/89725-runuo-2-0-rc2-download-link.html
2) server is on XP server
3) has firewall exception (tested with firewall completely disabled) and port is open
4) netgear router with port forwarded properly
5) visibility tested and confirmed with canyouseeme.org

{Client Side}
1) windows vista 64-bit (x86) system
2) razor = latest version
3) client patched to 6.0.5.0

{what happens}
1) user logs in using the IP address
2) server reads "valid credentials for -----" and "client connected 1 online"
3) user chooses the server (Test Center)
4) user receives "server not responding message": "client could not attach to the game server. it must have been taken down"
5) server reads "disconnected 0 online"

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811252 said:
Okay. It's RC-2. And you can enter with 6.0.14.3 client localy on your RC-2 server?

yes. when logging in ON the XP server, there are no problems. i built the entire world logged into the server locally. when i moved it and tried to log into if from a vista computer, these problems started.

unfortunately, i don't have an XP machine to test this on. so the only thing i know is that i cannot connect to my XP server remotely from a vista computer. maybe i could from an XP computer, but i can't test that because i don't have another one that anybody will let me mess with...

Soteric

Knight
Okay, I'll make some more research. You can also try to turn off IPv6 support on Vista and see if it changes anything

PBPBPB

Wanderer
joeylockie;811254 said:
question are you able to login in to the server from the server computer its self?

yes. using patch 6.0.14.3 i can log into the server directly from the XP server computer. this is what confused me (us) when roll-back was the solution, but i just assumed that maybe there was some sort of exception granted... or that whatever caused the patch/server issue was bypassed when you were local.

now, that said, remember that my server lists this: "Restricting Client to 6.0.13.0"

not sure if that makes a difference, but...

anyway, short answer is "yes, i can log in locally on my XP server with patch 6.0.14.3" but i still rolled back to 6.0.5.0 so i could say it's done and hopefully move beyond that solution.

thanks again guys. i know you get frustrated with posts that don't give you the information you need which is why i've tried to shove everything in here. wanted to make sure you guys had the whole picture. headed to a meeting, so i'll check back in a couple hours and if you need any additional information, i'll address it then.