RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

port open, firewall off, still no dice

Darky12

Sorceror
My theory its your router, Netgear routers are secruity sensitive imo. I've tried to host 3 time with 3 different Netgear routers with no luck, went to a Linksys, or even a Belkin and walah

PBPBPB

Wanderer
UPDATE:

** if you're new to this thread, please review the previous posts for details**

okay, so had somebody try to connect using an XP pc and they hit the same roadblock. now here's what we have...

the server is visible
you can see it on a serverlist and it registers incoming activity from users trying to connect and from sites like canyouseeme.org
BOTH vista and XP users freeze or receive a "server is not responding" message when they attempt to choose "Test Center"
it appears to the player that the server crashed, but it did not crash. it is still up and running and registers the user as "disconnected".

not sure if this changes anything, but we can assume that it is NOT simply a vista problem.

... still working on it and i appreciate the help.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Darky12;811260 said:
My theory its your router, Netgear routers are secruity sensitive imo. I've tried to host 3 time with 3 different Netgear routers with no luck, went to a Linksys, or even a Belkin and walah

i am going to test this later tonight. i'll disconnect the router completely and try to log on using a non-router connection.

everybody interested please keep posting possible solutions not already suggested (since this is the only one i haven't implemented) and i'll try them tonight or tomorrow.

if there are any netgear gurus out there, please respond with suggestions or solutions.

thanks all.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811290 said:
Have you tried to turn off IPv6 on Vista?

nope. i was going to look into that (and still will), but i don't even know what it is.

then, somebody using XP ran into the same problem i was running into with Vista, so i kind of sidelined the IPv6 issue. i guess i figured that if an XP user is hitting the same road-block as a vista user, the problem is likely not vista.

but i'll turn off the IPv6... i just don't know anything about it...

Soteric

Knight
Open network connection properties. There should be the list of protocols (IPv4, IPv6, QoS ... something else there). IPv6 should be turned off

PBPBPB

Wanderer
okay. so IPv6 is just internet protocol for packet viewing. no problem.

disabled it, leaving IPv4 as the protocol.

:(

still no dice.

so, one thing at a time, right?

now we know that IPv6 is not the issue.
we know that both XP and Vista have the same problem
we know that the server is visible and registers outside activity
that tells us that the port is open and forwarded and the firewall is not blocking it

we know that it's a netgear router and that i haven't tried to change that yet...

still working on it.

any other thoughts? i'll be at the server in a few hours and able to implement any server side suggestions at that time.

thanks!

Soteric

Knight
So it's a client-server protocol issue as was mentioned before. Find proper client version for RC-2 or use the latest SVN (that doesn't guarante support of the latest patches but something very close to them) :)

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811297 said:
So it's a client-server protocol issue as was mentioned before. Find proper client version for RC-2 or use the latest SVN (that doesn't guarante support of the latest patches but something very close to them) :)

k and that's where i'm confused.

see, i am using the latest SVN... unless that's not the latest SVN that's posted sticky as "RC2 download" under windows server support. and i've tried connecting with everything from client 6.0.5.0 to 6.0.14.3

somebody else posted something about the latest SVN and ML, but the OP of their thread didn't have any links to download anything, so... unless htere's a link to a later RC2 than this: http://www.runuo.com/forums/server-support-windows/89725-runuo-2-0-rc2-download-link.html i'm not sure what to do about the server or the client.

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811357 said:
You are using RC-2, not the SVN

well... why is there not a sticky download link for SVN? i mean, i'll get it if we think it'll fix the problem, but i just assumed when i started building this server that the sticky download thread would be the one to get. after all, it's sticky and sticky means good, right?

so i'm gonna get SVN. what do i need to know? is it stable? will i lose my scripts? will my custom scripts work with it? can i use my backups from RC2 to repopulate my world and retain accounts?

thanks!

redsnow

Sorceror
The link I posted is the SVN with ML, youll need to read the top two posts to get it going. There are links to the EXEs and files, youll need TortoiseSVN to download the files. Its easy trust me...

PBPBPB

Wanderer
redsnow;811361 said:
The link I posted is the SVN with ML, youll need to read the top two posts to get it going. There are links to the EXEs and files, youll need TortoiseSVN to download the files. Its easy trust me...

looked at that again a bit ago and found the links.

also found this: http://www.runuo.com/forums/general-discussion/97887-svn-updated-cores.html

downloading SVN 369 right now.

sorry, when i looked at your post the first time, i didn't see any links and i thought it was just an "information" thread or something.

so... SVN369 is what i need? yes?

Soteric

Knight
Actually SVN is just a repository of RunUO source files. You need to get sources with program like TortoiseSVN, create the project in your Visual Studio and compile sources into RunUO.exe file. It was a FAQ thread "How to compile SVN" or something like that. You have two ways. Download SVN, compile it and then add your custom changes (it's a good way if you haven't done a lot of custom changes on your server) or download SVN files version by version, merge them and add those changes to your RC-2 server (the only way if your server has a lot of distro modifications)

ADDED: You guys too fast for me :D

PBPBPB

Wanderer
i... wha.... err... :(

really?

i mean, my shard isn't all that custom. i have a few custom quests and monsters and a few sets of armor... but i spent like 2 months building it and modifying it and working through complete crashes and learning about BaseCreature and bla bla bla...

and now i have to download a bunch of other stuff and compile this and that and merge the other thing?

i mean, maybe it's just late and i'm tired, but i'm a little disheartened with this news. does everybody have this problem with RC2? if not, why me?

i'm just not sure i can handle dealing with SVN. i'd rather scrap the whole shard and start over or something. is this as complicated as it sounds, cause i catch on pretty quick, but your last response sounds like A-L-O-T of work.

Soteric

Knight
It's a piece-of-cake if you do it at least one time. Custom quests, items and mobiles won't bother you. Just compile SVN step by step using tutorial and move your Custom folder from working server to the new one. Then add your changes in modified distro scripts (BaseCreature in your case, maybe something else) and server is ready for work

PBPBPB

Wanderer
redsnow;811361 said:

dang man... was that link in this thread?

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811366 said:
It's a piece-of-cake if you do it at least one time. Custom quests, items and mobiles won't bother you. Just compile SVN step by step using tutorial and move your Custom folder from working server to the new one. Then add your changes in modified distro scripts (BaseCreature in your case, maybe something else) and server is ready for work

okay, okay... when i find that thread i'll look at it. maybe i just need to leave this alone for a day... but, since i don't know what you mean by "compiled" till i find that thread that deals with it, what about this:

http://www.runuo.com/forums/general-discussion/97887-svn-updated-cores.html

in that thread, the OP has provided what he calls "pre-compiled" files. can i just use one of these and drop my customs folder into it?

FingersMcSteal;810059 said:
Then if you had done your own core mods these pre-compiled versions are of no use to you, you obviously already understand the process of SVN downloading and how to produce your own EXE file. These were here to help out those people who didn't have a clue how to make the EXE file from SVN's, thats why there pre-compiled.

Soteric

Knight
Yes you can (you can at least test if it resolves your connection problems). But if you plan to run shard you better learn how to deal with SVN

PBPBPB

Wanderer
Soteric;811376 said:
Yes you can (you can at least test if it resolves your connection problems). But if you plan to run shard you better learn how to deal with SVN

oh, i plan to eventually learn to deal with all of this stuff. i just don't want to get into it and work and work and it still not solve the problem, ya know?

i need a little perceived success with what i've done...