RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem: How to find the truly good scripts.

Jeff

Lord
Make it like Ebay's Seller Rating System! haha... Make it so you have to post reasoning behind your rating, then allow for the writer to contest the rating and even allow mutual rating removal :)

Gembone

Wanderer
you could have like a congrates vote system so people could give there thanks and show appreciation for the script without clogging up the thread with thanks and great script posts. I know these are nice for the scripter to see but can make it hard to find the script support posts that you need. also let the votes be seen by everyone. I know alot of scripts get very high dl's because they are novel or just different. so I think better script description should be a must by the scripter. there are some scripts I just wouldn't put on an RP shard like the one I script for. have another suggestion for this but can't put it to words just yet. not enough coffee. will edit when I can

Marlberg

Wanderer
ASayre8 said:
The problem is defining good scripts. popularity? well coded? complexity? Stability? neat Idea/concepts? Customizibility?

For 80% of the scripts, pick upto and no more than 3.

Some of the most popular and such scripts on this forum are some of the worst coded. And no admin with more than a handful of players would put them on their shard. But there are still hundreds of others that will, because the idea itself is novel.

If you have users determine it, it becomes a popularity contest.

A different option is to have either the mods and/or people selected from within the community that can look at a bit of code and determine if it is well coded and stable and such and look at each script on thier own merits insetad of how many people like it or how many see the post because it keeps getting bumped up with people having problems with it.

But most of the people that would do it all write scripts and code of their own. could be alleviated by not allowing them to mark their own code, or having the above system where individual users give their opinions but with only the mods and/or selected people able to doso...

The only problem is havign enough people that are 'trusted' to know enough about coding to accurately judge them, whle still being able to give each one the time it deserves for a fair and accurate review.

Just my thoughs sitting here waiting for class. (Did I mention I hate Java? :D )

Please see my thread on this very same subject!

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Sorious said:
Make it like Ebay's Seller Rating System! haha... Make it so you have to post reasoning behind your rating, then allow for the writer to contest the rating and even allow mutual rating removal :)

Dassa good idea. Can I help with this >_<.

Ashlar

Sorceror
If anything goes...ie, this might be a pain to do, but would be nice...

Make Custom Script Releases list Alphabetically by posters name.
Add a section for showing only new posts.
Add a section for Highest Rated.
Change the way threads work to something like the following:

Each new thread in custom scripts has four pages:
Main page, only the thread starter can post there...modifications, new releases etc.
On this page there are links for :
General Discussion page- congrats, thoughts for improvements, etc
Support Discussion page- Bug reports, support requests, etc
Voting Review page- shows the breakdown in voting for the thread.

Voting on the main page is allowed, but it becomes the inital value in general page if they post on the script in Either general or support.

When a person posts for the first time in the general page, they are REQUIRED to submit their impression of the script:
Creativity:
Complexity:
Ease of installation: -only appears if the thread starter has selected Distro Mods Required when they started the thread. (a button)
Whatever other criteria:

The inital vote and one modified vote are kept for general page.
If a person posts again in the general they have the OPTION to change their vote.

The votes for general and support are stored separately.
In support the poster is not required to give an initial vote, but they are required on their second post.

I believe that the information gained from these ranges, ( general initial votes, general changed votes, support 2nd post vote, support modified votes ) can be used to make a valid and informative cross section of information for the voting review page.

The reasoning:
Required initial votes- you cant remember a first impression.
Once a person has voted, they may desire to change that vote if their impression changes. This information is important too.

I believe that this system or something more like it would encourage discussion.
A post to general or support would not bump the post, since there is no more bumping due to alphabetical listing.
No favoritism is given to posters names starting with A since there is a New Posts listing - alphabetical is just for helping find normally buried scripts.

Um a bunch of other reason, but i need to get back to working on my new harvest system, I'll think more on it if anyone likes this idea, but for now.....:p