RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem: How to find the truly good scripts.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
daat99 said:
There's 1 problem with "ease of install".
Simple scripts that doesn't require any distro mods will automatically get 10 for "ease of install" while other scripts which let's face it can't be easily installed just because they are too extensive (aka my OWLTR) will automatically get 0-1 (well the OWLTR will get 0-1 just because of poor coding but that's something else).

I think that "ease of install" shouldn't be a factor.
Easy to install scripts can't do half the stuff that "hard to install" scripts does which in return will result in 1 of 2 thigns:
1. The scriptors won't make it do distro mods which will damage functionality.
2. The scriptors will do it anyway which will damage their chances to get to the "good scripts" list which in return will make them disapear somewhere in the script submission with nobody knowing anything about them.
my point exactly

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I don't mean *ease-of-install-no-strings-attached*. I mean, "For the given complexity level and benefit of this script", or "Compared to other scripts in its class..."

(We might need to classify scripts...)

Also, why not give out a "RunUO Recommended Script" or "RunUO Commended Scripter" type things...(by this committee). That would definitely be a substantial vote of confidence for the script.

PappaSmurf

Knight
What about

TMSTKSBK said:
I don't mean *ease-of-install-no-strings-attached*. I mean, "For the given complexity level and benefit of this script", or "Compared to other scripts in its class..."

(We might need to classify scripts...)

Also, why not give out a "RunUO Recommended Script" or "RunUO Commended Scripter" type things...(by this committee). That would definitely be a substantial vote of confidence for the script.

There are some scripts which are more benificial for the novice user and those that are better for more experienced people....Take a 1-10 rating system it should also consider factors such as how usefull it is to a novice in both ease of install and ease of use in game...Take the XML Spawner system it's very good but setting up and spawning is a pain compared to Nerun's system...Although it has more perks it's not as easy for an inexperinced user to manage...

On the flip side some of the drop and load scripts that don't require any modification to the basic Distro files are a pain in the butt too as they add a complexity to the system that isn't needed for the new or basic shard admin.

Both those factors need to be considered and weighted to give an accurate rating to a script.....

TMSTKSBK

Lord
or look at daat99 here as your paradigm of hope...(OWLTR...heh...confuses ME :confused:)

Anyhow...confusion aside...right. You need to take into account:

a) overall ease of install
b) overall benefit
c) learning curve
d) comparison of install to scripts in its class (or type)
e) comparison of benefit to scripts in its class (or type)

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Or just ignore that quality all together and look at the important criteria,

complexity, usefulness, orignality.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Not if it requires 5 different parts to judge.

If it is too complicated for people to vote, they wont, or they will give random scores.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
We're talking about a very complex system. You may as well evaluate all points of a script if you're going to evaluate it at all. Don't do it halfway.

David will obviously decide what the necessary criteria are...but seriously...ease of use needs to be in there.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Meh, this argument bores me.

Ease of use IS a crappy criterion.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Until you present evidence to the contrary, I believe I'm gonna have to stick with "important criterion".

sicron

Sorceror
Maybe a comprimise here, do not use ease of use as a criterion for ranking, just maybe color code the posts:
Blue- I just left ea/osi today downloaded runuo and had no problem installing this
Yellow- Its a good thing Ive been around the block a little, else this may have been hard.
Red- I couldve scripted this myself but was just too dam lazy to do it.
Then they could still be based on the actual quality of the script and at the same time give people an idea how difficult it is to use...

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Ease of install IS or would be a factor. The onyl way it wouldn't be is if it was incorporated or weighted in with the Code quality.

Example: Someone wants to add a boolean to Mobile. they add the boolean, serialization eveything, they hafta recompile core. But they could've just used Mobile's SavedFlags.

Ex2: Someone wants to add in a bunch of stuff to when people logon. Inseatd of using Initialize and the EventSinks, they put it in an existing event sink in, say, PlayerMobile.

Ex3: Someone adding properties to a base class when they coudl've just created a NEW class than inherited from the old one.

And back to the problem of popularity, ALREADY in this thread there has been reccomendations for a popular bu not well coded script. This is my point EXACTLY.

bradjiles

Wanderer
here is my suggestion---- rate them by the skill level you would need to be at to install it and use it ie. newb/ experienced/ hardcore ect.ect....

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Maybe there should be a rating compromise between perfection of code and popularity?

(I actually like the color-coding idea...but you still need to evaluate a script to generate the correct color code...so...meh)

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Ask on the forums for their top 3 scripts. 80% of them will havce atleast one common answer. And yet, those are prolly some of the worst coded out there

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I think someone DID ask for the top 3 a while back...

(hehe...if you had to classify me as a flame warrior...I'd probably be Archivist)

A_Li_N

Knight
ASayre8 said:
Ask on the forums for their top 3 scripts. 80% of them will havce atleast one common answer. And yet, those are prolly some of the worst coded out there
*Does exactly this, just to get it started and the convo out of here of such things*