RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem: How to find the truly good scripts.

I don't believe it will work because the definition of a "good script" is highly subjective. Defining criteria simply makes the entire system biased.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
idk...I think it could be done if several people worked together to define the criteria, and the judging was restricted to a skilled set of people...

ASayre

RunUO Developer
XxSP1DERxX said:
Nothing will work.... I am certain of that.

Bah! do you know how long it took me to capture all these trained earthworms to determine the good ones?

*grumbles*

Kamron

Knight
Being certain of the uncertain is the only absolute you can be asured about.

The system David is thinking of is beautiful in the minds of the beholder, whos thoughts are true to themselves. Yet when brought to the mind of the objective, or opposite in thought, becomes rhetoric, or worse, heretic and blasphemous. Shortly put, its a great concept, if it was practical, but since you cannot please everyone, and because subjects like these are so variable, it becomes impossible to regulate.

Therefore in conclusion, I am certain this will not work.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
It will work, provided that David (or whoever does this) assembles a group of respected individuals to "judge". It will also require that those individuals possess integrity, so that the process will not be compromised. It will require a fair and broad-ranged set of standards & criteria by which each item should be judged. Any judge found to be compromising the standards for compensation should be dismissed.

If these criteria are met, then this program will be successful. If they are not, then it will not succeed. You can carp and complain about how it might offend some people -- how do you think the non-winning directors at the Oscars feel? This should not be a great surprise to anyone, yes, feelings may be hurt, and no, you can't please everyone. The question is, which person is it more just to please?

You can't say that this is a highly variable subject. They're all scripts. You can classify the types of script by difficulty and genre, or whatever criteria you would like. This is much the same as a movie. You have drama and horror and so on, low-budget & high-budget, fan films and feature films. The similarities are striking. You can apply this model to any category of items, scripts not being the least of those.

Finally, I believe that David might want to run this in much the same way as the "Academy" -- the members of the judges are secret, and not even known to each other, let alone the general public.

Alari

Wanderer
I think a great way would be for people to write review threads. Those who want to write reviews could make a few different threads, such as one for scripts they feel essential to run a server at all, or Pre-UOR scripts, or RP-enhancing scripts. It doesn't require any special headers to be added to the scripts, or any modifications to be made to the forum, lets reviewers define their own rating criteria and style, and allows others to continue the conversation by adding their own comments.

(Ooh, another review thread could be "Awesome scripts you never knew existed", one that finds the really obscure scripts that never got much attention but are really cool. =) I've found a few scripts like that here.)

David

Moderate
Wow, 6 pages of replies. Sorry guys I have been busting ass at work the past couple of weeks. I will get caught up here promptly...

Greystar

Wanderer
I'll add my 2 cents just cause.

Well since I use EasyUO on occasion some of the stuff CEO mentioned I agree with. Here is my list of criteria.

1) Functionality (does it do as promised)
2) Support (are errors fixed promptly when reported)
3) Overall Usefullness (subjective, but either based on Would you use it in your shard OR would you pull it apart and use pieces of its code)
4) Overall Amount of Downloads
5) Overall User Comments (we need to get users to post more comments about the scripts (cause I know me for one get motivated to make modifications based on user comments))
6) Votes (based on the star system provided already on the forums)
7) don't really have a 7th but I just wanted 7.

Camerous

Wanderer
By having only the "special" people be able to say what is good and bad you have already lost the credibility of any system based on it. What you are saying is that anyone you all don't approve of or think is good enough doesn't have a valid opinion. That's about as egotistical as it gets right there.

Alari

Wanderer
That's why I think it should be a review forum that anyone can post to in any format they desire. ^.^

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Camerous said:
By having only the "special" people be able to say what is good and bad you have already lost the credibility of any system based on it. What you are saying is that anyone you all don't approve of or think is good enough doesn't have a valid opinion. That's about as egotistical as it gets right there.

You don't. Mwahahahahaaa.

nah. It's not so much that the selection committee is "better" so much as "trustworthy".

Camerous

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
You don't. Mwahahahahaaa.

nah. It's not so much that the selection committee is "better" so much as "trustworthy".

hhmm...if you really believe that then it might actually work out. As long as you don't get certain people who have a tendancy to go on power trips in the committee than it would probably work. :)

HellRazor

Knight
Camerous said:
hhmm...if you really believe that then it might actually work out. As long as you don't get certain people who have a tendancy to go on power trips in the committee than it would probably work. :)

Maybe have a commitee of reviewers, and then allow any reader to comment on the review.

(Sort of like how web sites have reporters who post news, and then users can comment on the thread).

HellRazor

Knight
You can also sponsor a "script of the month" competition where users can vote on the best script release for the month, like what they do for forum hacks over at vbulletin.org. Nothing like a little encouragement and recognition to help spur script development and innovation.