RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Routers and connections for dummies. :)

jumpnjahosofat

Sorceror
Routers and connections for dummies. :)

This post is for all the people who are going to ask about getting your server set up so that other people can connect to it. There are countless posts on this topic. Maybe they are too hard to understand or maybe people are just not seeing the stickies. What I am going to try and do is make this as simple as possible for the networking impaired. ;)

There are basically two ways to have a server connected to the internet. One is behind a router, the other is directly connected to the modem. I would say that the first is the more common way to have your server set up, so that is the one that will be addressed in this post.

Setting up the server behind a router.

Things to know:

1: The server's internal network IP address.

This is the IP address that the server is either given or the server aquires from the router. It is better that you have this set up as a static IP meaning that it does not change after rebooting the machine. The easiest way to give your server a static IP address is to find out what your server's current IP address is and use it for the static IP. To get your current IP address, go to Start-->Run--> and put "cmd" in the box.

This will open up a command window.

Type the command "ipconfig" and press enter. The window should now display something looking like the following.

Write down all the information!! You will need it all to set the static IP address. When you are done writing that information down, you can close the command window.

2: Your ISP's DNS numbers.

Using the information that you got from the ipconfig command, open a web browser and type the Default Gateway's IP address into the address box and press enter. This should bring you to the router's login prompt. If this hasn't been changed by the router's owner, one of the following combinations should get you logged into the router. The syntax is as follows: user : password

admin : admin
admin : password

Once you have logged into your router, click on the status button to get your DNS server IPs. There are usually 2 DNS servers: Primary and Secondary. Write them both down. It is a good idea to also write down the external IP address of your router. It will be the IP address that DOES NOT start with 192. If you don't see it now, just move on and I will tell you how to get it a little later.

Giving the server a static IP address.

Now that you have all the needed information, you are ready to set the server with a static IP address. Open up your network connections through your control panel. Right click on the network connection and select properties. This will open up your lan properties window.

Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and press the properties buttone below. This will open up the tcp/ip properties window.

Put a check in "Use the following IP address" This will allow you to fill in all the blanks with the information that you wrote down previously.

After you have completed putting in all the information, click "OK" in the tcp/ip properties window and it will close. Click "OK" in the Lan Properties window and it will close. Your computer will now have a static IP address that will NOT change after restarting this computer. If in the future you wish to make it DHCP again, just go back to the tcp/ip properties window and put a check in the "Obtain an IP address automatically" spot.

Step 1. Setting up your router for port forwarding.

I only have two routers, so I can only go into great detail with those two routers. I have a Netgear and a Linksys router. As these are probably the most common routers in use, I guess this will help about 95% of the people trying to get there server running.

Using a Linksys router:

Step 1. Log into your router.
Step 2. Click the "Applications & Gaming" button.
Step 3. Make the following line in the Port Range section.

Application = A name you choose.
Start = port start range (2593)
End = port end range (2593)
Protocol = Both
IP Address = Your server's static IP address.

Step 4. After filling in all the blanks, press the "Save Settings" button.

This concludes the section on a Linksys router.

After finishing, go to the serverlist section of this post below.

Using a Netgear router:

Step 1. Log into your router.
Step 2. Click the "Port Forwarding/Port Triggering" button.
Step 3. Click the "Add Custom Service" button.
Step 4. Set it up as follows.

Service Name = A name you choose.
Service Type = TCP/UDP
Starting Port = Port start range (2593)
Ending Port = Port finish range (2593)
Server IP Address = Your server's static IP address.

Step 5. After filling in the blanks, press the "Apply" button.

This concludes the section on a Netgear router.

After finishing, go to the serverlist section of this post below.

Editing the Serverlist.cs file for connection.

Assuming that you have completed the tasks above, go to the website IP Chicken - What is my IP? Find Your IP Address! and write down your IP address. This is an external IP address that people will need to be able to connect to your server. They will not be able to use your internal IP address as it is a local only address. This is the IP to use.

Step 1. Open up the distro Serverlist.cs in the Scripts/Misc/ folder.
Step 2. Find the following line.

Code:
		public static readonly string Address = null;

and change it to:

Code:
		private const string Address = "your external ip here";

Step 3. Optional, you can name your server by replacing RunUO TC with your server's name.

This concludes the section on the Serverlist.cs changes.

Note: Not all Operating systems will open up a command prompt the same way. I did this using Windows XP Pro. If there are any questions about how this post or any changes that need to be made, please feel free to let me know. Add more to this if you wish.

culpress

Sorceror
I do that but, it doesnt get passes verifying account when connecting to my external ip. I have it set to this in the serverlist.cs
private const string Address = "71.226.64.67";

Azuros

Wanderer
I need a little help...I tried connecting to my router by entering the Default Gateway's IP address, but it just gives me a "Page cannot be found" message. Is there any other way I can connect to my router? Or is there something I can do?
Thanks in advance

Flats

Page
Azuros;697877 said:
I need a little help...I tried connecting to my router by entering the Default Gateway's IP address, but it just gives me a "Page cannot be found" message. Is there any other way I can connect to my router? Or is there something I can do?
Thanks in advance

Well its usually 192.168.1.1 but since it doesn't let you log into that for some reason maybe your router gives a different IP Address for it once you bought it. Maybe try looking for the ip address on your router as most routers write the ip address & username/PW that come default with the router unless someone else other than you messed with them.

jumpnjahosofat

Sorceror
Azuros;697877 said:
Thanks in advance

What kind of router are you using?

This thread would be better off in the FAQ forum. I would ask a mod to move it there. It will get the attention it deserrves there.

XSlayerX

Wanderer
i did all that and put my physical address in the serverlist.cs which was 67.140.xxx.xxx and now my client isnt working properly like it wont let me log into any shard i use connectuo btw if you could help meh id apperciate it greatly

jumpnjahosofat

Sorceror
XSlayerX;698279 said:
i did all that and put my physical address in the serverlist.cs which was 67.140.xxx.xxx and now my client isnt working properly like it wont let me log into any shard i use connectuo btw if you could help meh id apperciate it greatly

Changes that you make to your own server should not effect you connecting to other servers. The RunUO server on your computer is not used at all while you are playing on another server so none of the files would be in use. Maybe there is something wrong with your client?

jumpnjahosofat

Sorceror
Azuros;698056 said:
It's an Allied Telesyn, if you need to know the model too, I'll post it.

The model number would help. I have personally never heard of that type router. I would have to look it up on the net and see if there is something about port forwarding available there. You could probably do the same though. :rolleyes:

XSlayerX

Wanderer
ok detailed information on my problem

i have speedstream issued by windstream model 4200 series

i port forward 2593 to ip 192.168.254.1

i add my physical address in the private address line in serverlist.cs
add 192.168.254.1 to public ip string

i have no secondary routers on my computer this computer is the only one in my house.i have no firewalls enabled,

if you have help for me beyond this point ur a god lol

XSlayerX

Wanderer
PS

client worked connecting too my shard before i edited my settings with connectuo

i edit setting with connectuo and my shard goes active then i cant connect
if you have a hotmail address and instant messanger and would help me that would be great but if you dont. than i would still like you too post your best answer.

Flats

Page
XSlayerX;698469 said:
i add my physical address in the private address line in serverlist.cs
add 192.168.254.1 to public ip string

Thats your problem right there.....
Your going to need to add your external IP Address (The One That People Will Use To Connect To Your Server. Not The One That Was Assigned To Your Computer By A Router. To Get Your External IP Go To IP Chicken And Put The IP Address They Give In The Serverlist.cs File.

Azuros

Wanderer
After some messing with stuff, I've finally been able to get to configure my router, but now, I have some questions that could use some clearing up.

First...do I port forward my external IP address? or do I port forward my private IP address?

Second...once it has been port forwarded, with RunUO2.0, how should the line read after I edit it to include my IP address?

and third...in the serverlist.cs, do I put in my external IP, or my private one?

Thanks to anyone who helps ^_^

Flats

Page
Azuros;699801 said:
After some messing with stuff, I've finally been able to get to configure my router, but now, I have some questions that could use some clearing up.

First...do I port forward my external IP address? or do I port forward my private IP address?

Second...once it has been port forwarded, with RunUO2.0, how should the line read after I edit it to include my IP address?

and third...in the serverlist.cs, do I put in my external IP, or my private one?

Thanks to anyone who helps ^_^

1-You forward the ports to your computer

2-Dont understand sorry

3-You put your external IP

Kheldar

Sorceror
the screen will read the comps computer because it reads it from the computer thats why u have to put the actual one in the serverlist because the server can only detect the computers ip not your actual however if you use fixits serverlist it will read actual but fixits has some bugs with it when it attempts to find your ip so id just do it the way they list here

BuuBuu

Wanderer
;/

What abouth DMZ Hosting in Linksys ??

when i have done all from this i dont have avivable my static ip to another programs, for example ftp.

I have Linksys, Firmware: 1.45.3
When i start server with DMZ Host then loging is stoping on connecting after chose server ! and when i starting without dmz host then server work but i cant use rest my apl

what i have to do plx help

plz help me how to do working serwer on my linksys router ;/

God bless ;) sry for my bad eng