RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save core modification!!It's possible working on it..

Alari

Wanderer
Greystar said:
that wouldnt even require a core mod anyway, but I've been toying here and their with this concept and think it can be done with playermobile mods.

I thought it might need a core mod, but wasn't sure. Basically I want even static swamp tiles to be poisonous, to save the trouble of having to make invisible poison traps or whatever all over the map. Like I said I haven't started tho. :>

Alis

Wanderer
-Test Phase 2 -

Ok today we tested more optional's of the new sys. We were amazed but also shocked.. Firstly the new system work's better then the old archive method.. As at the first phase we told that the compile of the archive method was about 10times better then the old one ;

Today we relized that the new archive system need's alot of editing on all core scripts..Nearly 99% of the scripts must be added with flag's.. to aprove the stability of the total script.So this need's a group work and i hope that not all the user's are copy paster's and also some of them is actually doing something to bring thing's better.

Victor

Wanderer
Alis said:
-Test Phase 2 -

Ok today we tested more optional's of the new sys. We were amazed but also shocked.. Firstly the new system work's better then the old archive method.. As at the first phase we told that the compile of the archive method was about 10times better then the old one ;

Today we relized that the new archive system need's alot of editing on all core scripts..Nearly 99% of the scripts must be added with flag's.. to aprove the stability of the total script.So this need's a group work and i hope that not all the user's are copy paster's and also some of them is actually doing something to bring thing's better.

I am willing to help out. What needs to be done. Can you post what you have changed in the core so I can test this stuff out?

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Alis said:
-Test Phase 2 -

I have a small suggestion. I dont think that your approach of trying to identify objects as having changed by flagging all property mods is the right way to go. It requires massive script modification, and not just in the core. Also, it is highly likely to miss modifications to serialized properties that dont go through accessors.
Now maybe you are actually trying something else and I'm just assuming incorrectly, but a different approach would be to simply modify the Serialization call so that it doesnt flush its buffers immediately to disk but instead maintains it in memory prior to writing. Once you had fully deserialized an object into a memory buffer, run a checksum on that buffer and compare the checksum to the value from the most recent save to determine if anything had changed.
If the checksum matches, then the serialization is consistent with previous values and you dont have to save, if it doesnt then you have to write it out.
You could even establish the checksums during Deser and maintain them internally until Serialization, updating them accordingly when you delta save.
This requires no mods to anything other than the core Ser/Deser routines.

Alis

Wanderer
ArteGordon said:
I have a small suggestion. I dont think that your approach of trying to identify objects as having changed by flagging all property mods is the right way to go. It requires massive script modification, and not just in the core. Also, it is highly likely to miss modifications to serialized properties that dont go through accessors.
Now maybe you are actually trying something else and I'm just assuming incorrectly, but a different approach would be to simply modify the Serialization call so that it doesnt flush its buffers immediately to disk but instead maintains it in memory prior to writing. Once you had fully deserialized an object into a memory buffer, run a checksum on that buffer and compare the checksum to the value from the most recent save to determine if anything had changed.
If the checksum matches, then the serialization is consistent with previous values and you dont have to save, if it doesnt then you have to write it out.
You could even establish the checksums during Deser and maintain them internally until Serialization, updating them accordingly when you delta save.
This requires no mods to anything other than the core Ser/Deser routines.

First'ly your correct that it need's major core modifing but by simple test's taken from the old archive a creating a new archive item we could see the diffrence..

If you look back in the thread i explained that this system is possible so no one can say it's not possible =) But need's alot of work.. It's stable on theoritical way's ..So I used theories to suggest it's stable or not.By the progaming dialog and the scales used in c++ & visualbasic this must be stable..

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Alis said:
First'ly your correct that it need's major core modifing but by simple test's taken from the old archive a creating a new archive item we could see the diffrence..

If you look back in the thread i explained that this system is possible so no one can say it's not possible =) But need's alot of work.. It's stable on theoritical way's ..So I used theories to suggest it's stable or not.By the progaming dialog and the scales used in c++ & visualbasic this must be stable..
I agree that it is possible, but I dont think that it requires such major core modification beyond the actual Ser/Deser methods and the GenericWriter.

A_Li_N

Knight
I agree with ArteGordon...I don't think the mods you are trying to accomplish would need to be so massive. You might give his ideas a try and see if you can do some tests.

(What I got from his ideas):
Have the Ser method check the current object being 'saved' against the last save information for that item. If it's changed (or if it doesn't exist), it would save that object. (By object, I mean anything that is saved, like a 'Name' or 'ItemID', etc.

(What *my* suggestion is):
My suggestion (as I told you on MSN Alis :)) is to not check all 'objects', but instead simply add a variable that is NOT saved. This variable would be a DateTime. This DateTime would be 'updated' when anything is changed on the Item/Mobile. The Ser method then checks this variable and compares it to the last save DateTime. If the variable is newer (meaning the item/mobile was changed since the last save), the item/mobile is saved. I know this is more information that would be saved, but *I* believe that this would be a lot easier to implement.

But still, if you know what you are wanting to do, just give me a list and I'll get started :)

Alis

Wanderer
Arte ; your correct on not modifyin all the scripts I found out what i need to modify (mobile ; items) these are the basic thing's but in other way what your talking about will slow down the machine mine is diffrent further today i will explain what Im doing.

Save Core 1.0beta will be released by next week =) hope that i will have the support then =)

noobie

Wanderer
you cant set the "static" or "unchanged" flag for every item.
how could you possibly do that??

editing all the setters in the whole system? not just the core, but every single item/mobile files??

Alis

Wanderer
you cant set the "static" or "unchanged" flag for every item.
how could you possibly do that??

editing all the setters in the whole system? not just the core, but every single item/mobile files??

Yeah this is possible only need's to know the techincal way =) which I know which next weak or 2-3 day if i have enought time i will post it.

YOu don't have to edit evry single object (mobile/item) all the items link to one script all item's link to one script which offers two domain scripts but not all the scripts =)

noobie

Wanderer
I am sorry but as far as I know it is impossible to do it just by modifying Item class

You can do it in Item class for only Item properties but almost any item has its own properties too. You cant control those properties with Item class..

besides, you might not be able to do it even for some Item properties where some child items do not call Base methods in overriding methods..

(same for mobiles)

Alis

Wanderer
I am sorry but as far as I know it is impossible to do it just by modifying Item class

You can do it in Item class for only Item properties but almost any item has its own properties too. You cant control those properties with Item class..

besides, you might not be able to do it even for some Item properties where some child items do not call Base methods in overriding methods..

(same for mobiles)

Well you are getting some where... let me express like this may be you will totally understand better ; but you got the point ; ok ;

In object technolgy allmost evry class is generated from a base or abstract class whenever a new inherits or ( extend) this base class it will inherit their difiend method's and properties and if it likes it will overwrite base class method's and add a new properties also.

In some language the overwriting(overloading) a method has some mechanisim that either replace the base method or just reply method request by it's new overloaded method this concept is called "virtual method".When ever base method is typed as virtual and the extended class overload's this method then their is no chance to call base method as you said; but if is not typed as virtual then you can call base method by casting extended method to base method.Then you will be able to call base method even.

Therefore the description of method can be called from the child object .If the method is not overloaded by extended class then you can allway's call the base method.

Our goal is going to be define a property bool ChangeFlag and define three method
-"Void SetChanged()",
-"Void UnsetChanged()",
-"Bool IsChanged()";

In base class like (class Mobile) and never care in the child classes about this stuff.Then we are going tp atack the code sniplet where the action's is conducted;like ([move command) We will call the object SetChanged() method that is going set ChagedFlag property to true.This action will be also intercept in new creation time of item.İtem must be set as changed.

We will also ; atack the archive process which is taking object from universe container and serilize them to write archive file.At that point we will intercept a logic that will check the object with IsChanged () method to differantiate if it is changed or not since recent archive.
If it is changed it will going to be serillized and written to archive then call UnsetChanged() method to reset ChangeFlag to false.

There for no child class will be involved with this flag .This will save the script writer's even know about such a mechanisim is exist.

ArteGordon

Wanderer
I was guessing that you were trying something like that, but the question is how are you going to handle the modifications to other properties that might be changed in a class?
If any serialized property changes then in your scheme, wouldnt that require that you set your 'changed' flag?
The example that you give would handle the case of changed location, but you would have to be able to extend this to all other serialized properties for it to work.

noobie

Wanderer
hehe, thanx for that OOP info :)

dont get me wrong, just take this as an advise: you better ask someone more experienced before you spend your time about it.

good luck..:)

noobie

Wanderer
actually, you could focus on your other idea, runtime-save so that save time doesnt matter anymore..

there is already a code snippet for it in the core, you can think about what could be the side effects of doing everyting totally in a different thread..

some hints:
-you cant modify a collection (ex: hashtable) while some iterator is working on it.
the behaviour of World.RemoveItem should be changed a little..

-same problem with World.AddItem
(this is more problematic, you might need another temporary hashtable)

-so you need to write a another customized hashtable class which has internally two hashtable(normal & temp)

-modify World.FindMobile, World.FindItem, Items (it should return customized hashtable),
Mobiles (same with Items: there should be another customized hashtable for it)

-you need to modifiy Add, Remove methods for customized hashtables: see hint 1,2

look into core for more info..

p.m me if you need help with anything..

Alis

Wanderer
I was guessing that you were trying something like that, but the question is how are you going to handle the modifications to other properties that might be changed in a class?
If any serialized property changes then in your scheme, wouldnt that require that you set your 'changed' flag?
The example that you give would handle the case of changed location, but you would have to be able to extend this to all other serialized properties for it to work.

I think dealing with individual properties change Is not neccsary.The property/properties change Is initiated in several points;when ever an event occur in the client; the message is broadcast to server.The server will accept this message and initiate several actions.At that point we know the client is going to change.If we insert SetChanged() that point for the client object then we can mark the entire client is change.If neccasisary we can furtherly speciallize about event messsage to flitter out unnecisary change mark.
Therefore it is not neccasary to deal with every indivual properties of any item.We will difrenciet the object's subjet to be archived and need not to be archived.

actually, you could focus on your other idea, runtime-save so that save time doesnt matter anymore..

there is already a code snippet for it in the core, you can think about what could be the side effects of doing everyting totally in a different thread..

some hints:
-you cant modify a collection (ex: hashtable) while some iterator is working on it.
the behaviour of World.RemoveItem should be changed a little..

-same problem with World.AddItem
(this is more problematic, you might need another temporary hashtable)

-so you need to write a another customized hashtable class which has internally two hashtable(normal & temp)

-modify World.FindMobile, World.FindItem, Items (it should return customized hashtable),
Mobiles (same with Items: there should be another customized hashtable for it)

-you need to modifiy Add, Remove methods for customized hashtables: see hint 1,2

look into core for more info..

p.m me if you need help with anything..

I really didn't understand which second thought(idea) your talking about because one of the idea was my dream ; the other was the releif of current archive sys.

Zippy

Razor Creator
The largest problem with this method is the huge amount of script modifications required... that the problem for any major save change, which is why saves are very unlikely to change in any new RunUO releases.

Otherwise it's a good idea.

Alis

Wanderer
Zippy what do you think for a estimation what is the percentage that will give us great save time saved in my suggestion we don't need to modify very much why do we have to ? Is
it the same thing which ArteGordon is talking about ?