RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Server Freeze (99% CPU use) - Runuo 1.0RC0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Knight
Paging hurts performance, and with a system with 512MB of physical memory I would recommend a 512MB paging file as a good starting point. Ideally, if this did not meet the needs of your server you would add more physical memory, but if that is not an option you could try extending your paging file to 1GB (keep in mind a static paging size is faster, don't let Windows dynamically set paging size).

With servers with 1GB of physical memory, you could try disabling paging completely for maximum performance, and if your server started running out of resources you could step this up to 512MB. If with 1GB physical memory and 512MB paging you still see your server running out of resources, you will want to increase your paging file to 1GB and apply the 3GB user addressing tweak. This will allow .NET, and therefore RunUO, to use the maximum amount of virtual memory possible.

With 2GB of physical memory, the 3GB tweak is a must, and both 512MB and 1GB are viable options for paging file size. Obviously in this situation there is no point increasing the paging file over 2GB, as you would go over the 4GB address limit.

I just wish everyone wasn't so quick to point the blame at RunUO's coding before they knew exactly what they were talking about. :rolleyes:

cward

Wanderer
Oh I wasn't pointing anything at RunUO coding. I was pointing it at .Net memory limit. Basically what happened to me was I had 512MB DDR a 1GB pagefile and was getting server freeze at 290MB RAM useage. So we upped the pagefile to 2GB and we still got the server freeze. After that we installed another 512MB DDR and set the pagefile back down to 1GB. The server was fine after that.

Mark

Knight
Well dude, Windows uses memory too, so do unused services, anti virus programs, and anything else going on in the background. Like I said, paging is slow, so if anything, your server wasn't technically locking up, it was just crawling because it had to swap to page constantly.

cward

Wanderer
Yeah I was aware of that. I just wanted to clarify that as I stated the same thing in a previous post that pagefile lowered performance. So we need to keep the pagefile as low as possible for performance issues and installing more RAM would be the best choice with systems under 2GB RAM to maintain performance? After that 4GB RAM with a 3GB switch? And the CPU spikes are the system swapping Pagefile?

Zippy

Razor Creator
Mark said:
I just wish everyone wasn't so quick to point the blame at RunUO's coding before they knew exactly what they were talking about. :rolleyes:
Ignorance is bliss.

infra001

Wanderer
When Defiance was much smaller, around 150 players online peak I had to move Defiance to another server as the current one went faulty, The system only had 1GB of RAM though (The current one then had 2GB) I knew it would *just* fit but I knew I couldn't stay on the system longer then a few days.

However during the time the server was on this 1GB system every so often the shard would just totally freeze for no reason, I could not explain it because task manager reported a good 150mb physical free, I knew it was not the LOS bug as I fixed that myself, but as soon as I managed I got the extra 1GB stick in 3 days later the problem vanished.

Phantom

Knight
infra001 said:
When Defiance was much smaller, around 150 players online peak I had to move Defiance to another server as the current one went faulty, The system only had 1GB of RAM though (The current one then had 2GB) I knew it would *just* fit but I knew I couldn't stay on the system longer then a few days.

However during the time the server was on this 1GB system every so often the shard would just totally freeze for no reason, I could not explain it because task manager reported a good 150mb physical free, I knew it was not the LOS bug as I fixed that myself, but as soon as I managed I got the extra 1GB stick in 3 days later the problem vanished.

Mark has already stated what you basicly said, in that large shards need the largest amoount of memory as possible for their configuration.

infra001

Wanderer
I know, I'm just letting the guy know from someone with past experience that if he upgrades to 2GB RAM he will most likely see the issue disappear.

mr_wuss

Wanderer
and that advice has been handed out countless times in this thread and he/she has turned it down just as many times. They some how think that RunUO can force .NET to utilize memory better than it does, which we all know is not possible.

seph

Wanderer
Ryan said:
Man you guys are just not listening.

This is NOT a problem with RunUO's core.

UO Gamers Hybrid has no problem like this. We run our software in the largest production environment around. Yes thats right while having the most popular emulatore we also have the largest shard around.

The software is fine. Either you have a hardware issue or a custom script issue.

I am sorry I cannot help you with that.

Ryan, please....

You only jystify with reply: "This is NOT a CORE Bug"

Are you thinking about it ?
Are you another reply to this problem ?

seph

Wanderer
cward said:
Ingvarr, You are also the first to be using under 60% of RAM. Most of those threads people were using 256MB to 512MB of RAM. Had some pretty crap hardware or scripts that had some bad coding. You are using 40% of RAM, I have a pretty busy server with 1GB of RAM I never experience any problems at this level. You basically refuse to give us any information and are here complaining. Even better question are you running 1.0RC0?

Well well well..

Review all my posts at this topic , and you see it!

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
I already did fucking justify it.

This post is closed when I am done hitting send.

IT DOESNT HAPPEN ON OUR SERVER WHICH IS BIGGER THAN YOURS. ITS NOT RUNUO'S PROBLEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.