RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Server Freeze (99% CPU use) - Runuo 1.0RC0

Status
Not open for further replies.

seph

Wanderer
Server Freeze (99% CPU use) - Runuo 1.0RC0

Hello,

In Version RunUO 1.0, in normal running, the server uses only 2% of CPU. In Beta36, use between 40-60%
I have a problem with Shard freezing in Beta 36, and this problem persists in RunUO 1.0RC0. I dont have idea why I can monitor the system, to find the this problem. This is a mistery yet! :-/

Well... Today I Will Use all Scripts in default configuration (in exception of PlayerMobile, because 3 new values, but this dont cause this problem, i think...)

Why can I "monitor" why runuo process is running when the shard freeze ?

IMPORTANT: No crashes, No Memory limit, No CPU limit. The shard dont have any limitations of hardware, but I dont know how find or where I need to look for obtain more information about this problem.

Anyone can help ?

Phantom

Knight
What are your hardware specs, do you restart the server everyday like people suggest, how often do you save, have you tried to do a memory mangement?

If you wnat help we need more information more then it "locks up"

seph

Wanderer
Yes... today I need to restart the server everyday because this problem.

Accounts: 5000+
Players Online: 130+
I need 700k+ Items 40k+ mobiles
Saves: 24 seconds
Memory Utilization at start server: >400Mb
Memory before saving: 200-300 Mb
Saves delay: 30 minutes
CPU P4 2.4GHz 1Gb RAM

brodock

Sorceror
Phantom said:
What are your hardware specs, do you restart the server everyday like people suggest, how often do you save, have you tried to do a memory mangement?

If you wnat help we need more information more then it "locks up"
i was thinking about this today...
and i will list things you need...
A good processor (more then 2ghz) and with good cache
a good amount of RAM (768 or more)... DDR
and i think here is the big reason why people get low speed...
i think runuo needs an scsi hard drive... a good one...
any comments from the experts? maybe phantom? any comment about the scsi?

seph

Wanderer
brodockbr said:

NO.. You dont need SCSI if your Disk IO and SaveFiles haves a large size... in this case... the save files haves 86MB only....

Avelyn

Sorceror
seph said:
Hello,

In Version RunUO 1.0, in normal running, the server uses only 2% of CPU. In Beta36, use between 40-60%
I have a problem with Shard freezing in Beta 36, and this problem persists in RunUO 1.0RC0. I dont have idea why I can monitor the system, to find the this problem. This is a mistery yet! :-/

Well... Today I Will Use all Scripts in default configuration (in exception of PlayerMobile, because 3 new values, but this dont cause this problem, i think...)

Why can I "monitor" why runuo process is running when the shard freeze ?

IMPORTANT: No crashes, No Memory limit, No CPU limit. The shard dont have any limitations of hardware, but I dont know how find or where I need to look for obtain more information about this problem.

Anyone can help ?

If the problem persists from B36 to 1.0 it has to be one of two things. Either a bad custom script, or some kind of a hardware issue. While your shard seems to be quite large with 130 users on at once, your machine that you listed should be able to handle it. Only 1GB of ram may make it lag with that many but I certainly dont think it would cause it to freeze. If I had to guess I would say a script but you said you ran it with just the distro files. If thats the case you may want to check your hardware or as Phantom said your computer's memory management.

Also, the reason you can check the process when it freezes is because a lot of time when a program "freezes" its actrually just running processess over and over due to an error or bad programming. So it is actually doing something just not what you want it to!

brodock

Sorceror
seph said:
NO.. You dont need SCSI if your Disk IO and SaveFiles haves a large size... in this case... the save files haves 86MB only....
it's not for the save...
i dunno a check here and it uses a good amount of my ram and about 400mb of virtual memory...

seph

Wanderer
Avelyn said:
If the problem persists from B36 to 1.0 it has to be one of two things. Either a bad custom script, or some kind of a hardware issue. While your shard seems to be quite large with 130 users on at once, your machine that you listed should be able to handle it. Only 1GB of ram may make it lag with that many but I certainly dont think it would cause it to freeze. If I had to guess I would say a script but you said you ran it with just the distro files. If thats the case you may want to check your hardware or as Phantom said your computer's memory management.

Also, the reason you can check the process when it freezes is because a lot of time when a program "freezes" its actrually just running processess over and over due to an error or bad programming. So it is actually doing something just not what you want it to!

Well.. I have 1Gb RAM in this server, and 1.5Gb Swap (virtual memory).

Because a lot of new features, including playermobile and others, not is possible run with distro files....

But.. IN my house server (desenv server), the shard dont freeze!
I will start RunUO 1.0 in my house, again, and I will leave it running with all my script files... (without connections from clients...).

How about this "Memory Management" ?
Do you apply a adicional configuration at Windows, or Virtual Memory configuration to reduce problems or for optimization ?

seph

Wanderer
brodockbr said:
it's not for the save...
i dunno a check here and it uses a good amount of my ram and about 400mb of virtual memory...

Yes.. but this server haves 1Gb RAM and 1.5Gb Virtual Memory

DuGrand

Sorceror
Is windows crashing to, or just the shard?

If your server is xp or 2000, Anything in your windows log?

also was it always like that?
is it getting wors? (crash more often)

Is your CPU or PC over heating? 60% all the time will make any PC and CPU hot if not properly ventilated. (even memory can get hot)

Do player lag befor the shard freze?

Do you have a screen saver anable?
Backup programe, Virus software?

Intermitent program freze is hell to find. you need to narow it down.

seph

Wanderer
DuGrand said:
Is windows crashing to, or just the shard?

If your server is xp or 2000, Anything in your windows log?

also was it always like that?
is it getting wors? (crash more often)

Is your CPU or PC over heating? 60% all the time will make any PC and CPU hot if not properly ventilated. (even memory can get hot)

Do player lag befor the shard freze?

Do you have a screen saver anable?
Backup programe, Virus software?

Intermitent program freze is hell to find. you need to narow it down.

No crash
No lag
No Memory limit

Only CPU in 99% (then shard freezes)

ScreenSaver, antivirus, backup and other programs are not intaladed, or not running.

seph

Wanderer
Phantom said:
You still have not given us the information we need.

Sorry.

Well.. today I am connected and the shard freeze again. But, i have more informations now:

- The server is running normally (start today 5am)
- Then, today at ~23:30, some lag in shard...
- The shard save (30/30 minutes delay)
- ~20/30 minutes before save, the shard freezes
- Looking about memory and CPU: 80~99% CPU, 657MB RAM in use

The normal charge of this server is 2% CPU Load, and memory utilization is: ~500MB (at top).

The server only freeze, no crashes!
Dont send replies or respond at commands
I dont use antivirus

This problem persist throght months, but now is daily. And often, the shard freezes in time < 24hrs.

Server:
Windows 2003 Server (all updates applied)
1Gb RAM
1.5GB Virtual RAM
80Gb HD
Dell P4 2.4GHz
RunUO 1.0RC0
Accounts: ~5000
Mobiles: 42k
Items: 750k
Save folder: 86MB
Online Users at freeze: 110 onlines

I am removing some custom scripts, but this problem persist.

Is this problem caused by saves delay (30 minutes = 2 saves by hour) ?
Is this problem caused by a optimization optimus (dont applied in windows) ?
Is this problem caused by Custom Scripts ? Why confirm it ?

Ingvarr

Wanderer
I doubt you will get any help there, this bug was reported several times for several months already.
For several months Ive investigated same freezes on our shard (our system/usage specs are same) and narrowed it to be almost-infinite loop somewhere inside the core packet handling code. If you minimize the server window (and it pages out entire working set for several mins), it can be "unstuck".
But as there is no debug info for this code (its in the core, only devs have source), its impossible to see exactly whats causing the loop. This bug is quite unstable, happens only on significant shard load (50+ ppl online), and maybe only on W2K3 Server also.
And as RunUO devs have it not - I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon, as to fix it they defenitely must reproduce it.

DuGrand

Sorceror
Can you do a ctrl alt del to bring the task manager on.
if so then check what process is using the CPU and also check if there is more processe running at this time? also check your network tab in the windows task manager.

if you dont mind clear your window log file the run your shard after a freze save your log and post them. there should be no error in there.

also are you playing localy on the server? if not you could try it to see if its a network card probleme.

brodock

Sorceror
something i noticed here is that... when this occour i get for example, if my server uses 300mb of ram, when this is in progress i get the server reducing the amount of ram used to 0 then it starts increasing again, like when we start the server...
it goes 1 mb by one until it reaches for example 170mb then it grows like 20 or 50mb by secound until it reaches the full 300mb then we wait more 5 or 10 secounds and the server ressurects to life :)

that is... occouring very often

G

GoldDraco13

seph,

Just want to ask if your using any chat system on the shard in question?

I had a similar problem and it seemed to come from a chat system I was using.

seph

Wanderer
GoldDraco13 said:
seph,

Just want to ask if your using any chat system on the shard in question?

I had a similar problem and it seemed to come from a chat system I was using.

NO .. I am not using any chat system.

The major systems (custom) is disabled, but the problem persist... then.. i dont know why look for more informations...

seph

Wanderer
DuGrand said:
Can you do a ctrl alt del to bring the task manager on.
if so then check what process is using the CPU and also check if there is more processe running at this time? also check your network tab in the windows task manager.

if you dont mind clear your window log file the run your shard after a freze save your log and post them. there should be no error in there.

also are you playing localy on the server? if not you could try it to see if its a network card probleme.

When server freezes, the network utilization is 0%

This problem is "mistery"... really.

Greystar

Wanderer
brodockbr said:

Here's the deal I'm running my Shard RunUO 1.0 amount of times between saves 1hr save time average 14 seconds... not too long...
Runing on a PIII 700mhz with 500mb ram about 20k mobs and about 250k items hd speed doenst really matter yes I do agree that More memory is required for RunUO but Processor speed doesnt really seem to matter to me any... the only time I really have Hangs or lockups is If I have like about twenty apps open and one of those is the Client. I used to have more resource problems when I was using Beta36 and I had problems with resources when I started using the MegaSpawner systems, but since removing that system I no longer have issues.... No offence Morexton it seems like an Awesome system and maybe in the future when i get some extra money ill upgrade this computer to take the extra load.

Status
Not open for further replies.