RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time System

okyzan

Wanderer
in 8:00 pm doesnt it start to night time?
i cant understand anything with the atmosphere :( everything is the same before i installed the script but the script has no errors its working :/ iam confused.

Liacs

Sorceror
THANKS Morxeton

This is just great. Now You also can use the clocks, wristwatches and so on.
And also the sleeper is working great with it now.
Yesterday I found out that it didn't work and today you have the solution. This is perfect work. Thanks so much for this!

Lia

Morxeton

Sorceror
okyzan said:
in 8:00 pm doesnt it start to night time?
i cant understand anything with the atmosphere :( everything is the same before i installed the script but the script has no errors its working :/ iam confused.
Did you make the necessary modifications to the distro scripts? The system scales to night slowly starting at 8:00 PM and by default is set to scale 120 minutes. It won't be really dark until 10:00 PM.

You can change all of the settings to make it more realistic if you desire, such as changing the scaling to maybe 30-45 minutes will speed things up quite a bit especially if you are using real time.

Morxeton

Sorceror
evil lord kirby said:
First off this system rocks. Second I have a few suggestions of my own :) I think the idea about making it noticeably darker during rain and snow is an excellent idea. I also think that if you tie this in with the weather it would enhance it alot.
Thanks:D. I plan to implement some kind of weather system integrated with the time system. This is definitely on the scope for future enhancement.
evil lord kirby said:
If you were to create seasons for the game it would be extremely nice. You may want to make the weather a separate system that ties in with the time system. Seasons are something that britannia never really had though (it should have) I think the seasons might be a little tough though because certain areas like ice isle will always have snow and you cant exactly have it snowing in the desert but if you had a pattern set up it would rock.
Seasons are also on the scope for future enchancement as well. Infact, I plan to add time differential variation based on the seasons as it is in real life (i.e. summer has longer days and winter has shorter days, and this feature will be toggleable on/off).
evil lord kirby said:
I also thought it may be fun to sort of override nightsight during darkest hour or even cause it to dim during night like at champ spawns and then make it override nightsight for darkest hour. This would probably be best as some type of option you can simply toggle for users who are not very good with script edits. anyhow just an idea. You might also want to send a message to players something like " your nightsight begins to falter slightly as the darkness grows..." for the first light level drop and then another for darkest hour something like "your nightsight is no longer strong enough to cut through the darkness..."
I haven't announced this yet either, but I have already placed a nightsight override on the future enhancement list as well:). I am working out the details on how to go about this with minimal editting and plan to implement this in a near-future release.
evil lord kirby said:
I like the lamp posts how they turn on and off and stuff but maybe rather than have them the way they are go by region and have it send a system message to all players within the region saying "you feel a cool wind howl perhaps evil is about us..." and then the lamps for that region would go out. I just think it would add that certain level of detail and set the right mood to make it draw players in a little more.
This is on the list as well.:)
evil lord kirby said:
Just imagine sitting at brit bank or wherever your players gather and during darkest hour your nightsight is no longer strong enough to cut through the darkness just then you receive the message telling you a cool wind howls perhaps evil is about us and all the lights around town go out. yeah its pretty cool :)
Yeah, it definitely adds an effect.
Liacs said:
This is just great. Now You also can use the clocks, wristwatches and so on.
And also the sleeper is working great with it now.
Yesterday I found out that it didn't work and today you have the solution. This is perfect work. Thanks so much for this!

Lia

Aeolus

Sorceror
I have been using your system for about a week, and installed the new version today (v1.1.12.) I thought I'd give you a little feedback on it. First of all, I love it. I was running 24 hour days on my shard long before you released this, but you took the concept and really went all out with it... just fantastic! There are a couple things I noticed however that I wasn't so crazy about. First, in the previous version I had (v1.0.4 I think) you could edit features in the script (userealtime true/false.) It doesn't appear to have any effect in the newest version, nor does setting usetimezones true/false seem to have any effect. I liked being able to change these features in the script. It took me awhile to figure out that you have to disable timezones in-game with commands. After figuring that out, and getting my clocks formatted, everything is working great. A gump system would DEFINITELY be helpful. I will be glad to see that release. Also... it could've been me just making typos, but I think some of you commands may be case-sensitive... I don't remember which one(s)... I think it was [ts set clocktimeformat... seems like I had to capitalized the first letter of each word to get it to work, but I could be mistaken. Just a couple more things- I think it would be cool if the lights could somehow 'flicker' off and on a few times before going out or coming on. It'd be a little spookier, I think. As far as weather is concerned, I think adding a chance of random lightning (anywhere, not just on players) would be super-duper-kick-ass. Anyway, that's my feedback on your truly marvelous Time System. I hope it helps!

P.S. Not sure if I said it before or not but thanks for releasing this... very nice!

Morxeton

Sorceror
Aeolus said:
I have been using your system for about a week, and installed the new version today (v1.1.12.) I thought I'd give you a little feedback on it. First of all, I love it. I was running 24 hour days on my shard long before you released this, but you took the concept and really went all out with it... just fantastic!

Aeolus said:
There are a couple things I noticed however that I wasn't so crazy about. First, in the previous version I had (v1.0.4 I think) you could edit features in the script (userealtime true/false.) It doesn't appear to have any effect in the newest version, nor does setting usetimezones true/false seem to have any effect.
The system is meant to be completely configurable in-game, so you can change the settings at any time without restarting your server.

UseTimeZones works just fine. By default every 16 X is one minute. If you type [TIME, it will display the time for the current time zone you are in. If you type [BASETIME, it will display the base time in which the system calculates from. If you do not see a difference, either you are in 0-16 X location or you do not have time zones turned on. I have tested this functionality for a while now. Please double check and let me know if you experience problems with it.

Aeolus said:
I liked being able to change these features in the script. It took me awhile to figure out that you have to disable timezones in-game with commands. After figuring that out, and getting my clocks formatted, everything is working great. A gump system would DEFINITELY be helpful. I will be glad to see that release.
If you'd like to change all the features via the script, I could make some changes that will allow you to load the defaults set in the script instead.

The gump system would definately be helpful, in which I am slowly working on. I have been busy getting my new computer hardware up and running lately:).

Aeolus said:
Also... it could've been me just making typos, but I think some of you commands may be case-sensitive... I don't remember which one(s)... I think it was [ts set clocktimeformat... seems like I had to capitalized the first letter of each word to get it to work, but I could be mistaken.
I believe you might be mistaken, as I have coded it to not be case-sensitive and have tested this many times. If you do find something that appears to be case-sensitive, please double check and report it here.

Aeolus said:
Just a couple more things- I think it would be cool if the lights could somehow 'flicker' off and on a few times before going out or coming on. It'd be a little spookier, I think.
What do you mean by flicker? Going off/on/off/on really quick before settling in the off/on position? This would require additional memory as I would need to use a timer for this feature. I will consider this, as I can just set it up to be a toggleable feature.

Aeolus said:
As far as weather is concerned, I think adding a chance of random lightning (anywhere, not just on players) would be super-duper-kick-ass.
I plan to do a lot with the weather, including lightning on players, but not only on players. I plan to have lightning strike the ground in random locations and random objects. I have yet to figure out how to do that, but I have not begun the research yet, either.

I plan to have the weather system and time system compliment each other, but one not requiring the other.

Aeolus said:
Anyway, that's my feedback on your truly marvelous Time System. I hope it helps!

P.S. Not sure if I said it before or not but thanks for releasing this... very nice!
Thanks again:). I originally did not plan to create such an elaborate system. It just somehow ended up that way:eek:

Dian

Sorceror
Ive never notice this to happen before, so I thought Id question it here once.. I noticed today that if 2 players (or however many) are holding lanterns.. sometimes you dont see the other characters lantern illuminate on screen.. as if his was off. and vise versa.. you run out of screen a ways.. and back, and it will show it luminating on screen. seems to have same efect both ways.. if I cant see his, he cant see mine luminate.. any thoughts on why that might be happening? (and has nothing to do with my UseEvil mod that I know of) no difference iwth [ts Stop either..

In the mean time, I will test it on a fresh RunUO too..

Greystar

Wanderer
Dian said:
Ive never notice this to happen before, so I thought Id question it here once.. I noticed today that if 2 players (or however many) are holding lanterns.. sometimes you dont see the other characters lantern illuminate on screen.. as if his was off. and vise versa.. you run out of screen a ways.. and back, and it will show it luminating on screen. seems to have same efect both ways.. if I cant see his, he cant see mine luminate.. any thoughts on why that might be happening? (and has nothing to do with my UseEvil mod that I know of) no difference iwth [ts Stop either..

In the mean time, I will test it on a fresh RunUO too..

I THINK that has to do with packets updating to the client and sync issues (might be a little unnoticed lag). But I have no evidence of this just a general guess.

Aeolus

Sorceror
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus
I have been using your system for about a week, and installed the new version today (v1.1.12.) I thought I'd give you a little feedback on it. First of all, I love it. I was running 24 hour days on my shard long before you released this, but you took the concept and really went all out with it... just fantastic!
Thanks
No prob, you deserve the praise...
Quote:
There are a couple things I noticed however that I wasn't so crazy about. First, in the previous version I had (v1.0.4 I think) you could edit features in the script (userealtime true/false.) It doesn't appear to have any effect in the newest version, nor does setting usetimezones true/false seem to have any effect.
The system is meant to be completely configurable in-game, so you can change the settings at any time without restarting your server.

UseTimeZones works just fine. By default every 16 X is one minute. If you type [TIME, it will display the time for the current time zone you are in. If you type [BASETIME, it will display the base time in which the system calculates from. If you do not see a difference, either you are in 0-16 X location or you do not have time zones turned on. I have tested this functionality for a while now. Please double check and let me know if you experience problems with it.
...when I said "...nor does setting usetimezones true/false seem to have any effect" I was refering to the script. All of the [TS commands work just fine as far as I've noticed.
Quote:
I liked being able to change these features in the script. It took me awhile to figure out that you have to disable timezones in-game with commands. After figuring that out, and getting my clocks formatted, everything is working great. A gump system would DEFINITELY be helpful. I will be glad to see that release.
If you'd like to change all the features via the script, I could make some changes that will allow you to load the defaults set in the script instead.

The gump system would definately be helpful, in which I am slowly working on. I have been busy getting my new computer hardware up and running lately.
I think being able to set the defaults in-script would save time during the set-up process, however, a good gump system would do that too... Good luck with the computer...
Quote:
Also... it could've been me just making typos, but I think some of you commands may be case-sensitive... I don't remember which one(s)... I think it was [ts set clocktimeformat... seems like I had to capitalized the first letter of each word to get it to work, but I could be mistaken.
I believe you might be mistaken, as I have coded it to not be case-sensitive and have tested this many times. If you do find something that appears to be case-sensitive, please double check and report it here.
I'm pretty sure I was making typos.... sorry.
Quote:
Just a couple more things- I think it would be cool if the lights could somehow 'flicker' off and on a few times before going out or coming on. It'd be a little spookier, I think.
What do you mean by flicker? Going off/on/off/on really quick before settling in the off/on position? This would require additional memory as I would need to use a timer for this feature. I will consider this, as I can just set it up to be a toggleable feature.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
Quote:
As far as weather is concerned, I think adding a chance of random lightning (anywhere, not just on players) would be super-duper-kick-ass.
I plan to do a lot with the weather, including lightning on players, but not only on players. I plan to have lightning strike the ground in random locations and random objects. I have yet to figure out how to do that, but I have not begun the research yet, either.

I plan to have the weather system and time system compliment each other, but one not requiring the other.
That's very exciting news!
Quote:
Anyway, that's my feedback on your truly marvelous Time System. I hope it helps!

Thanks again. I originally did not plan to create such an elaborate system. It just somehow ended up that way
Give us an inch, and we'll take you a mile I guess... funny how that works huh?;) I have a question for you... I'm doing something experimental and was curious, is there a way I can make a particular facet have a static light level, while all the others operate as normal? For that matter, could I format clocks to tell a static time on that same facet, while all the others operate as normal? Sorry to be diffucult, but like I said... give us an inch...;) Thanks for any feedback on this!

Morxeton

Sorceror
Aeolus said:
No prob, you deserve the praise...

...when I said "...nor does setting usetimezones true/false seem to have any effect" I was refering to the script. All of the [TS commands work just fine as far as I've noticed.

I think being able to set the defaults in-script would save time during the set-up process, however, a good gump system would do that too... Good luck with the computer...

I'm pretty sure I was making typos.... sorry.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

That's very exciting news!

Give us an inch, and we'll take you a mile I guess... funny how that works huh?;) I have a question for you... I'm doing something experimental and was curious, is there a way I can make a particular facet have a static light level, while all the others operate as normal? For that matter, could I format clocks to tell a static time on that same facet, while all the others operate as normal? Sorry to be diffucult, but like I said... give us an inch...;) Thanks for any feedback on this!
I could add this to the suggestions and work on this in a future version. Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Pyro-Tech

Knight
i skimmed the forums so i appologize for this if anyone has already said anything....but what about putting a central stone to make it easier to set up and change the system?

or is that what your future plug-in system supposed to be one day?

either way....great system....looks great during darkest hour

Greystar

Wanderer
Pyro-Tech said:
i skimmed the forums so i appologize for this if anyone has already said anything....but what about putting a central stone to make it easier to set up and change the system?

or is that what your future plug-in system supposed to be one day?

either way....great system....looks great during darkest hour

its already easy to cofigure IMO, but having a stone to set things on would be nice or just a gump, I know the gumps been mentioned, but anywayz love it how it currently functions...

thanks GS

PS: now if only we could make this adjust the weather so it wont rain in december (even though it does here in illinois anyway)

Pyro-Tech

Knight
Greystar said:
its already easy to cofigure IMO, but having a stone to set things on would be nice or just a gump, I know the gumps been mentioned, but anywayz love it how it currently functions...

thanks GS

yeah....it took a few but i figured some of it out after installing last night...a gump would be nice too though

Greystar said:
PS: now if only we could make this adjust the weather so it wont rain in december (even though it does here in illinois anyway)

or snow in march?? lol....i know what ya mean down here on the southern tip of illinois lol

Greystar

Wanderer
Pyro-Tech said:
yeah....it took a few but i figured some of it out after installing last night...a gump would be nice too though

or snow in march?? lol....i know what ya mean down here on the southern tip of illinois lol

Sorry Morexton...

I expect snow through April, just not A full fledged lightning and thunderstorm in December.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
one thing that also needs to be added is nightsight for armor or weps that way the darkest hour works for everyone.

Morxeton

Sorceror
Pyro-Tech said:
one thing that also needs to be added is nightsight for armor or weps that way the darkest hour works for everyone.
I am working on NightSight override. It'll have three different options. One being off, two being override all (i.e. NightSight will no longer be effective period), and three being override during darkest hour only.

Morxeton

Sorceror
Greystar said:
Sorry Morexton...

I expect snow through April, just not A full fledged lightning and thunderstorm in December.
Haha.:D

I plan to have seasons configurable whereas you can specify what can occur during each month (i.e. Dec you may set to allow snow only but Jun Rain/Thunderstorms only).

I also plan to implement a feature called UseEquatorSeasons (lack of a better name for now) that will be toggleable on/off where when it is on, the center latitude of the map will remain summer-like all year whereas further away from the center will experience season changes, as in real life.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
i am having a problem configuring my darkest hour stuff....i have it set for night to start at 20 (Should be 8 pm my time)....darkest hour to be 240 minutes after night (4 hours) so should be midnight....and the scale at 30 minutes....well currently it is still night and it is almost 1 am my time so...did i configure it wrong? or did it not update properly since it was allready darkest hour by default when i changed it?

thanks

Greystar

Wanderer
Pyro-Tech said:
i am having a problem configuring my darkest hour stuff....i have it set for night to start at 20 (Should be 8 pm my time)....darkest hour to be 240 minutes after night (4 hours) so should be midnight....and the scale at 30 minutes....well currently it is still night and it is almost 1 am my time so...did i configure it wrong? or did it not update properly since it was allready darkest hour by default when i changed it?

thanks

mine worked straight outta the box without editing any config files (by the way Pyro... Morexton's time is the same as your time (mine as well)... all central...