RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update, on Subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Update, on Subscriptions.

We have decided to make a change to our subscription model to simplify everything.

Subscriptions will be migrated to 1 type, which will be lifetime, and the cost will be knocked down to just 25.00 (US).

The benifits will remain the same.

Now, onto the part of this that will be controversial.

We have not yet decided how we will handle the older subscriptions, so we will be trying to come up with a way to handle it.

My thought process is all of the old subscriptions go away and if they want they can get a new one, some people think that is unfair, but its not meant to be unfair, my thinking is I cant do it for the 1 month/6 month'ers and do it for the 1 year guys because its doing it for some but not others.

Your constructive help on this will be appreciated. Please keep in mind we did ask you guys to not subscribe until 1.0.0 was out and things were cleared up.

-Ryan

David

Moderate
Are you saying let the existing subscriptions expire and only offer lifetime from here out, or are you thinking cancel all current subscriptions which are less than lifetime and start over?

[edit] I personally see no problem with not offering free upgrades/conversions to lifetime.

tbird

Sorceror
well since my 6 mo. subscription ends in febuary anyway, I would have to resubscribe anyway. so I guess this time it will be a lifetime instead of a 6 month :)

Phantom

Knight
I am wondering how many people have 1 year subscriptions and 6 month subscriptions.

As anything any other subscription could just not be renewed unless it was uprgrade to a life-time. This could just be done by waiting for those subscriptions to expire.

1 year and 6 month subscriptions depending on how many. If either of these are within ( just a suggestion of course: 60 days ) of being purchased. Perhaps just pay the difference between the two prices. If I have a really bad memory and those prices are more then current price, then that doesn't work ( unless the price changes ).

Or you just allow those subscriptions to expire, and they can rewnew/upgrade when they feel like it?

tbird

Sorceror
Phantom said:
I am wondering how many people have 1 year subscriptions and 6 month subscriptions.

As anything any other subscription could just not be renewed unless it was uprgrade to a life-time. This could just be done by waiting for those subscriptions to expire.

1 year and 6 month subscriptions depending on how many. If either of these are within ( just a suggestion of course: 60 days ) of being purchased. Perhaps just pay the difference between the two prices. If I have a really bad memory and those prices are more then current price, then that doesn't work ( unless the price changes ).

Or you just allow those subscriptions to expire, and they can rewnew/upgrade when they feel like it?

I agree with Phantom on this one. Maybe offer a discount for 1yr and 6mo subscriptions, if they arent within 3 months of ending.

Dian

Sorceror
Id say, keep it simple, just let the current < lifetime subscriptions just run thier time out.. and only offer lifetime subscriptions from there on out.. Upgrades welcome, but not discounted for remainding time on current subscriptions, or whatever.

Sounds fine with me. I just wouldn't be able to do it immediately. Frankly, a one time fee is probably the best way to handle it anyway. No muss, no fuss.

Ghosthunter

Doomer

Wanderer
What ta hey...

Myself I was donating as some spare cash came along, I wasn't really concerned about how long my subscription lasted or was even noted by staff. I am sure out of all the paid members out there this is the case for a lot of them as well.

Although I did donate for the lifetime I'll more than likely keep donating as the cash comes available.

A problem that I foresee is with the "lifetime" membership now being so cheap perhaps you may get a lot less "extra donations?" Of course I have no way of knowing what kind of donations the RUO team is getting on a monthly, weekly, or even daily basis but you might want to keep an eye on that and see what happens.

Anyhow thanks a bunch and yet another congratulations on a successful release.

Doomer

Ceph

Sorceror
i agree with doomer, the subscriber forums, although can soemtimes be helpfull, arent updated too often and if you really paying to access them, i *personally* dont feel its worth it, i do however feel that runuo is worth the money and even with the new lifetime subscription, i will probably donate from time to time, of everyone who reads this post, how many people donated toa ccess the 4 forums, and who subscribed soly to help runuo, discluding whoever subscribed soley for runuo 1.0.0 rc0 :p, im kinda curious

Phantom

Knight
If more people would subscribe, and post subscriber only scripts

There would be reason to subscribe.

The "worth" depends on what you need. I know all my scripts will be subscriber only, and my programs will be public.

Mortis

Knight
Does this effect the fact my one year subcription is about to run out and my new lifetime one I just bought will have issues? I just bought the lifetime one recently for the new $25 dollar offer.

ultimaIX

Wanderer
My opinion is to let the current subscriptions expire when they do. You will have some people be mad, that is understandable.

I agree with having the majority of scripts to be for subscribers only will increase the value of the subscription. If the authors of the public scripts just post the newer version to the subscriber only area and modify the public one to indicate the newest version is in the subscriber area. And all new scripts are in the subscriber area. Just an idea.

On another note I was gonna change my user ID to more along the lines of Yrenwick Dragon, but subscribed under ultimaIX before the 75 hour special was over. No biggie to me.

- Yrenwick Dragon (aka ultimaIX)

cfaust

Wanderer
Let subs expire; if people need re-subscribe, it will just be $25.00, the only problem I have is using PayPal for anything.

Kai

Wanderer
I for one just bought my subcription. The funny thing it was a few days before the upgrade. I don't mind that I paid a few bux more, but I think being upgraded would be pretty cool. Although you guys have done so much for me I wouldn't cry if it didn't happen. Thanks guys. I am very grateful.

My 2cents on the subcriptions; all the 1 years be upgraded to lifetime, bump the 6 month people to 1 year, 3 months to 6 months, etc... I believe that to be an very fair solution.

EDIT:
Ryan said:
Please keep in mind we did ask you guys to not subscribe until 1.0.0 was out and things were cleared up.

I didn't see that. I guess I blew it. Let them expire and get a new subscription. It is fair.

You know even if some one has only been with the community 6 months, they would have paid far more to osi for a much less enjoyable experience. and before any one jumps down my throat about but they would loose several months or even a year. Let me say this, I am a life time subscriber, I would send the 25 bucks anyway because its the right thing to do. Hell most of us pay more for a night at the movies or a video game at the local best buy

DeadSpider

Sorceror
I have always done it monthly
I have no problem going lifetime if it will be the only option
25 bucks is a great deal

on a side note... is there RunUO 1.0 items
like shirts, hats, and so on
If not, is it somthing to look forward to in the near future?

Seven

Sorceror
Ryan: I'm hoping this is going with what you are asking.
If you want to switch to ONLY Lifetime Subscription why not just let the others expire and remove the option to buy another option other than lifetime?

HellRazor

Knight
It would be unethical to cancel the existing subscriptions before their expiration dates, many of those people will feel cheated and won't re-subscribe. Let them remain until they are all expired - you can convert entirely to the $25 lifetime model through natural attrition, and maybe even get more lifetime subscriptions in the long run as the expired subscribers renew under the new model.

Status
Not open for further replies.