RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do so many people hate C#?

Kiwi

Knight
Why do so many people hate C#?

I talked to a lot of friends of mine, programming or not, and asked some people on a forum, it seems nobody likes C#

They describe it as "crappy java"

Unseen

Sorceror
C#

I am not familiar enough with C# to make any specific comments, but in general new languages are not greeted well. People spend a lot of time learning what they know, and don't want a new language to come along, become big, and require them to learn it.

Unseen

Zippy

Razor Creator
And for the reord, I really REALLY hate java, I think C# is much better than Java is :)

D

Dalius.Old

Java is the outcast of the programming world, just like Al Bundy.

E

Ezuret

I don't see why the team would pick something as crappy as Java. These guys are r33t. Do you know how l33t r33t is? It's damned l33t. People just don't like C# because microsoft made it. It's just another example of how Bill Gates has no friends.

R

Rainman

Its probably because C# was designed to help monapolize microsoft even more. If everyone developed there programs in C# then it would slowly drown out alternate operating systems over the course of 20 years.

All of your base are belong to microsoft.

Luckily nerds are to smart and have started creating ways for c# to be just as useful on alternate OS.

Of course its all part of my larger consperacy theory :)

C

Chaos

I personally think C# is easier to use. If you like C++ I dont see how you can dislike C#, considering C# is C++ with cooler features.

But I will quote Ezuret - its "r33t"

seank

Wanderer
Java is a pointless language. No one wants to use it client side.. even the Java die-hards admit that client side sucks. So then I have to ask what's the point of "run-anywhere" if you're only going to be using it server side? Java, as it is used today, makes absolutely no sense when compared to the original purposes of the language.

That said, I like C#. It works well client-side. The fact that there are so many people who say that C# sucks isn't suprising. When C++ started picking up steam in the early 90's, everyone was saying that it sucked too. "It's too slow. C is faster and easier to use." I said the same thing. C with inline assembly was perfect for most projects. Only the really large projects with dozens of developers requried C++. Give it time. It took 10 years for C++ to catch on.

Unseen

Sorceror
java

The java VMs for some platforms are not that great (read slow). However, the server side run-anywhere ability is very good. Being able to write a server app and have it run on Windows, UNIX, and MAC is a big deal (particularly in the server world where Windows is not 95% of the market).
Java server objects are still very powerful tools.

Unseen

Dreoth

Wanderer
Can't say I really HATE C#...
I just think that it would be better for the world for languages to have cross platform libs so we can all use it. I know mono is in the works but that is reverse engineering. Just like WINE (heh wine + mono would rule)

If companies want to push a language, they should make it where all can enjoy it... =\

L

Lost User

Personally, I know quite a few languages, to varying degrees (of skill coding in them & knowledge about them). To name them in the order in which I learned them (read "learned them" as "taught myself to code in them," and therefore, "learned them" implies that I learned them well enough to code in them), QBasic, Visual Basic, Java, C, C++, ML (SMLNJ, and no, "ML" != "Machine Language"), some Windows x86 Asm, Linoleum.

I was going to learn C#, but changed my mind when I realized it would be pointless since I cannot run the compiler under and OS I have available to me, and I do not feel like buying a copy of XP at this time (I'll likely get a new computer with it sometime in the next few months anyhow).

At this juncture, I'm still learning Linoleum, as well as using my newly acquired knowledge of assembly language to add winsock support to Lino apps (By adding isokernel calls for accept/listen/read/write to the run-time-module, which is written in Asm and is a part of every Lino app, providing an easy and cross-platform means to do various things (Such as stick a pixel in the display area for the app, get info about the mouse, etc).)

L

Lost User

I lost my train of thought halfway through my post.

I just found it:

About Java, I agree that client-side it sucks with a qualifier - It sucks only for closed-source programs. Why? Because it is quite easy to decompile it back into useable source (I have done this myself, and tried it on my own programs, and yes, the source is quite useable afterwards.). Server-side, it is not too bad, although admittedly possibly slower than other languages.

I go off on a tangent here, and have stuck it in a quote so it's separate and you may skip it and come back if you wish.

Linoleum has it beat there, excepting that is cannot use libraries (DLLs, or .o files, or whatever they are for *nix).

Of course, one CAN code support for additional things in the compiler, so that Linoleum programs can use them (and in a simplified manner.), such as I am doing for networking, with the author's permission (The lino compiler is open source with the proviso that you cannot modify it without the author's permission, so others can learn from it without being the risk of a thousand separate programs branching off like what happened with UOX).

For those of you who don't know what Linoleum is, it's like cross-platform assembly language with easier to understand syntax (i.e. A = 5; instead of mov eax, 5).

I'd actually call it "theoretically cross-platform" since there is presently no way to compile for any platform other than Windows, due to the RTM and instruction sets that lino code is translated into needing to be translated to any other platforms before a Lino app can be compiled to that platform.

(That's the end of the tangent).

As for C++, I think of it as someone's idea of a good way to make programming way too complicated. C is a bit better, but, Linoleum takes the cake as an easy-to-use yet low-level language. Most lino instructions compile to 1 ASM instruction, giving Lino programs even greater speed than C/C++. Nice, eh? I seem to be going off on that tangent again, and this post is sounding more and more like an advertisement for Linoleum. Forgive me, it's just that it's sooo much better than any other language I've ever used before.

Though I still use Java, mainly for projects that I started before in Java, or for things that find the concept of classes useful (I split things into separate files anyhow, despite the language. Well, I can't do that in QBasic. But *shrugs*. If you can make something like Flight Simulator in QBasic without going nuts, I bow to thee. Especially considering getting graphics beyond 320x200x256 colors or 640x480x16 colors requires importing compiled ASM code, using the mouse requires importing compiled ASM code, and so on and so forth. And it'll always be a DOS app. :p), though I don't know of anything offhand that classes are so important to that it couldn't be done with a buncha lists of either 32-bit floats or 32-bit integers or 32-bit pointers to something else (like a string of 32-bit characters. Yeah. But it works, and is actually faster from what I hear than 8-bit strings.) and subroutines which take parameters, return values if you want, etc, etc, etc.

I stop now. :p

L

La Riva

While C# might be microsofts creation - it works. Backed with about 90% of C++ capabilities C# also gives you 100% object oriented approach. People dont like it because they dont know it. I think it is like that with everything else

L

Lost User

I don't like it because Microsoft deliberately made it impossible for me to use it (for programming) without buying a copy of XP.

seank

Wanderer
That's not true.. I'm able to program in C# in both Linux and Win2k.

For Linux, get Ximian's Mono (www.go-mono.com)
For Windows, get the .Net framework, and Sharp Develop

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/default.asp

Sharp Develop rocks.. you don't need VS.NET, you don't need to install the big 200 meg .Net SDK, you just need the framework.

Sharp Develop works with Mono too.. so you can develop and run .Net apps on Win95 even.

C

Chaos

Shadowlord said:
I don't like it because Microsoft deliberately made it impossible for me to use it (for programming) without buying a copy of XP.

Thats the most uneducated thing Ive ever heard. Windows 98/ME/NT/2k/XP all run the .NET framework installation program - not just Windows XP.

Secondly, why should Microsoft deliberately add Linux support? Microsoft designs things for Windows Developers, not Linux people. Im sure Microsoft thinks its great that people like the guys with Mono are making the .NET stuff work on Linux!