RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do so many people hate C#?

L

Lost User

Chaos said:
Shadowlord said:
I don't like it because Microsoft deliberately made it impossible for me to use it (for programming) without buying a copy of XP.

Thats the most uneducated thing Ive ever heard. Windows 98/ME/NT/2k/XP all run the .NET framework installation program - not just Windows XP.

Secondly, why should Microsoft deliberately add Linux support? Microsoft designs things for Windows Developers, not Linux people. Im sure Microsoft thinks its great that people like the guys with Mono are making the .NET stuff work on Linux!

Excuse me? You didn't even read what I said! I KNOW they can run the .NET framework installation program! I said:
to use it (for programming)

Because I can't run the C# COMPILER in Win ME!

L

Lost User

And now I am going to go look at sharpdevelop.. Thanks seank. *wonders if this will work in ME*

L

Lost User

Because it came with the computer, I don't want to go out and buy another OS, and I don't want to mess with linux again after my last experience with it (Using redhat on my old computer, every 3 weeks it would die for no apparent reason, citing missing fonts, and I had to reinstall it each time, oh, and deleting it completely resulted in my computer not booting because I couldn't seem to get rid of LILO because I fdisk /mbr didn't work, etc, etc, etc...), that's why.

C

Chaos

"use it (for programming) without buying a copy of XP"

You dont need XP for anything relating to the .NET FRAMEWORK OR THE C# compiler. I for one use MSVS .NET right now on my Windows 2000 machine - IE you can "use it (for programming)" from other machines besides XP.

Thats what I was saying was uneducated.

L

Lost User

I know it will work on 2k/NT, but I don't think getting 2k/NT is worth considering - If I wanted an NT-based OS, I'd get the most recent one - That is, XP.

P'raps I should simply have said "an OS based on an NT kernel" like I'd planned to at first. But I figured that that would result in my getting flamed by people saying "No, it works on XP!" and I didn't want to have to correct them. My fault for assuming I wouldn't be flamed if I neglected to mention older 'versions' of the same OS (Windows had 2 branches, the 95-based branch, and the NT-based branch. They've killed the 95-based branch, but imported most of its features into the NT branch with XP, to the best of my knowledge. I still think of it as based on NT, mainly because when you get a new computer with XP on it, the filesystem is NTFS, not VFAT, and because stuff that works on 95+ but not NT often doesn't work on XP, and vice versa.).

C

Chaos

But C# works on FAT32 (my win2k is FAT32) so I am _assuming_ it should work on Win98 and ME, but I may be wrong ... ???

L

Lost User

Well, I'm going to find out in a bit by trying sharpdevelop...

In any event, the SDK doesn't work on 98/ME/etc, and it says so right on the download page. If sharpDevelop works, I'll praise the sharpDevelop devs' intelligence and boo Microsoft's idiocy for not making the SDK work in ME in the first place.

L

Lost User

It works. :)

Neat.

Now if only I had help files or whatnot that come with the SDK. *wanders off to download it and see if he can extract the help files*

Arek

Sorceror
Shadowlord said:
Now if only I had help files or whatnot that come with the SDK. *wanders off to download it and see if he can extract the help files*

I'm not sure about the exact location, but all the docs should also be available from MSDN. Have fun. :D

--Arek
([email protected])