RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you like UO?

IxildorRS

Wanderer
I loved the extensively customaization of your char and game it self!
and also i love this kind of graphics not 3rd!
I have played dark age of camelot and everquest!
But nothing in my opinion compares with uo! :twisted:

Xenon

Wanderer
I was in it for the awesome real-time gameplay with thousands of other users... but since powerhours left OSI, 3rd party emulation kept me in.

BooshnigBomb

Wanderer
I started because it was the first online game i had played. I was amazed at the fact of such a good rpg that was awsome, had no limits, and was online! My friend had started playing it and i went to his house every day. It wasn't soon after when i got an ultima package "the best of both worlds" which had Ultima Online: Reanassaince, (or however u spell it) and Ultima IX: Ascention. Ultima IX was the last Ultima game that Origin released before they went with EA. Of course i got addicted immediately, i would play nonstop, every day, not knowing how long i was on for. I also realized that no matter how much you play there's still something you haven't done, something that you want to do, something that you know will take time to accomplish. As for Ultima IX, I still haven't beaten it :D
I've had it for 2.5 years. Ultima IX had the potential to be one of the best games ever created had Origin took the time to root out the bugs. I guess uo is so good because there're no limits, you can go beyond what most other games limit. I also must make a comment on the original uo, t2a, and 3rd dawn's music, which really gets you into the mood as well. UO's mood was enough to keep you on the game, even if you didn't want to do anything, the mood was enough to keep you addicted. There was so much about UO that got me addicted, i can't list enough. I still play uo, and i always will, but hopefully i won't always be trying to beat Ultima IX (stuck at covetous =P) as for now, uo is the best online game ever made, simply because it goes beyond the limits. And i'm sure we'll all get around the AoS patch sometime :D .

BooshnigBomb

Wanderer
[Of course i got addicted immediately, i would play nonstop, every day, not knowing how long i was on for. I also realized that no matter how much you play there's still something you haven't done, something that you want to do, something that you know will take time to accomplish]

Oh and i'm talking about UO there, not Ultima IX, :D .
The correct spelling is Renaissance. :D [/quote]

Wraslin

Wanderer
I liked UO because it was a very complicated game and you could make out of it what you wanted. There is no objective in the game other than what you wanted to do.

“Who are you going to be? What are you going to do?”

Those were the questions (don’t know if they are still there) that the installer would put up and those were the questions each of us answered.

I left when I started to feel OSI was choralling it’s established playerbase into more easily managed “slots” of playstyles.

At that point I thought back to the questions I first saw when installing UO and wondered if OSI nerfed them like the did the entire game to say

“Who are we going to let you be? What are we going to let you do? What are we going to patch tomorrow?”

BTW, that was about the time when EA/OSI dumped trying to stick with any type of Ultima fiction.

Roland

Sorceror
Ultima IX was the last Ultima game that Origin released before they went with EA.

Er, actually EA was with them during U:VII...but EA's tainting of Ultima really started with U:VIII if you ask me. U:IX is just a sad topic all around. So much potential...soo many bugs. As some one pointed out in a post elsewhere, there is a resent interview with R.G. where he talks about EA and U:VIII/U:IX.

I was a big fan of U:IX back in 1999/2000 but since got over it. It’s ok, but it does not have that "Ultima" feel that the others have. Especially U:VI, U:VII, and UO. It’s the background, the environment, those things that make Ultima feel…real…so to speak. Pick anything up, use many things in lots of ways (make bread!), do just about anything. Very cool stuff. But with U:IX, there are no NPC schedules, few usable items, you can not just adventure (doing so will surly trip off a trigger that will muck up the game), and there is no party. The party I could do without (though it is funny to hear them complain or joke around in U:VII). However, the whole thing felt odd. And where to begin with the crazy story?! *sigh* I wanted it to be the best Ultima so badly because it was the final one, but I guess I’ll wait to see if any of the remakes work out. :(

I guess I like UO because it reminds me of U:VII (my favorite) in that you can do so many things. On top of that, you can be many different types of characters. I can not only work towards getting a tower or castle (we…or at least on a non-OSI server) by fighting stuff, I can later make another character, learn carpentry and make my own furniture! This kind of open-ended playing style is very incredible. As much depth as you want to put in it, and in just about any direction.

Did I start UO (OSI) because of Ultima? Yes. I started playing Ultima games back when U:IV came out in the 80’s and started UO because I liked the originals so much. Do I think UO is like Ultima? Kind of. It is Ultima in it’s size, things you can do, and amount of fun I have with it, but it also lacks something that Ultima IV, V, VI, and VII(1&2) have. Then again, one is a multiplayer game and the others are not so of course they would be different.

D&D (or AD&D in my case) is another reason. I started RP’ing a few years before playing my first Ultima game. I waited a long time for NWN, and only really had FRUA during that wait (as far as D&D-based game builders go). But I think I like UO better. I’m still waiting for persistent world scripts to get better for NWN, and have been trying to figure out how to make UO more module-based. Something between NWN and UO is what I have been looking for. But for now, UO has my vote (especially RunUO)! :D