RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows VISTA

WarAngel

Wanderer
jaynigs;655422 said:
Hollywood claim that piracy is killing the industry. They need to look a little closer to home if you ask me.

No one is claiming that it is killing the industry, though they do claim that it hurts it, which it does. Hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars are lost every year due to thievery. Whether you thing the movies are shit or not, it is still stealing, and is still causing huge losses.

As for the Bluray and HD DVD, i'm under the impression m$ will restrict output to vga quality. Just what i read from numerous sources.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060824-7590.html said:
So nothing has changes with regard to HD DVD and Blu-ray support in Vista. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions will not support high-def video out of the box. It will be the drive manufacturers' responsibility to provide playback via third-party decoders. Out of the box, Vista will support:

* VC-1
* MPEG-4 Simple profile/Advanced profile
* H.264 which is mandatory for HD DVD and Blu-ray
* Dolby Digital (AC-3) 5.1 (DVD)
* DTS 5.1 (DVD)
* Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD? (HD DVD/Blu-ray)

The companies backing both HD DVD and Blu-ray are insistent on iron-clad copy protection. That means Microsoft, Apple, and anyone else that wants to be able to play high-definition Blu-ray or HD DVD video will need to support the kind of copy protection mandated by the studios: AACS+ and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (Blu-ray also uses BD+ and ROM-Mark as a complement to AACS). HDCP uses a two-party cryptographic scheme to control the video transmission and display process, and that is what drive makers will need to fully support.

I call bullshit. That was a top result searching "Blue Ray Vista" in Google.

jaynigs

Wanderer
Hmm interesting, ok valid points warangel, i can only comment on what ive read, and the same applies to your information, we will have to wait and see.

As for anti basics comments, i assume the piracy slant wasnt directed at me, since i am happy to provide photos of my dvd collection, im not out for a free lunch, just dont want to see the pc halt to a standstill as a multimedia platform

then don't buy hardware from manufacturers that don't conform... I'm pretty sure that a high authority sets those conditions, not Microsoft...

and who said I supported anything? I dont really support anti piracy measures, my general opinion is "Well, can't blame them"

jaynigs

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;655443 said:
then don't buy hardware from manufacturers that don't conform... I'm pretty sure that a high authority sets those conditions, not Microsoft...

and who said I supported anything? I dont really support anti piracy measures, my general opinion is "Well, can't blame them"

Ok, but perhaps your missing my point here, according to what ive read, ( linked above ), its not the only source of this info, these conditions enforce the output of vga quality via video cards component and dvi output.

Well, if it forces you to upgrade hardware (Unless your talking about the device to read the new medium itself) that is messed up.. but I would think they would sort of phase it in, Microsoft may do things I don't agree with, but I doubt they would force you to upgrade hardware at this point and time. They may start making it to where in order to have hardware M$ certified or compatible or w/e, vendors must include the DRM technology in the hardware, but I really think they'll phase it in instead of making you buy a new vid card and monitor.

Windows is a computer Operating System, for it to work properly, it requires computer hardware, thus they have to work in harmony with the both hardware vendors AND consumers to be successful. So I think, being that Gates isn't an idiot, that they will try to phase it in, not sure haven't read up on it etc etc, but thats just the common sense thing to do. It would hurt them in the long run if they didn't, an they prolly realize that

David

Moderate
Anti-Piracy measures don't bother me even a little bit. I have been known to download a song or two if I am looking for something specific but I like to have complete albums ripped at high bit rates so I always wind up buying the album anyway. As for DVDs, I have watched several on my Vista PC both straight from the DVD and ripped to MP4--The quality seems fine to me. I'm not sure what the complaint is.

jaynigs

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;655452 said:
Well, if it forces you to upgrade hardwarre (Unless your talking about the device to read the new menium itself) that is messed up.. but I would think they would sort of phase it in, microsoft may do things I don't agree with, but I doubt they would force you to upgrade hardware at this point and time. They may start making it to where in order to have hardware M$ certified or compatible or w/e, vendors must include the DRM technology in the hardware, but I really think they'll phase it in instead of making you buy a new vid card and monitor.

Windows is a computer Operating System, for it to work properly, it requires computer hardware, thus they have to work in harmony with the both hardware vendors AND consumers to be successful. So I think, being that Gates isnt an idiot, that they will try to phase it in, not sure havent read up on it etc etc, but thats just the common sense thing to do. It would hurt them in the long run if they didn't, an they prolly realize that

I totally agree with what you said with regards the damage and numerous other comments you have made, but this was the reason for my point earlier that microsoft can do as they wish, since there isnt really any serious competitor. We are very much stuck with microsoft. It would seem common sense as you stated for microsoft to do exactly what you said, but common sense isn't always used. And this was the whole point of my initial post. Only Time will tell what happens with regards to DRM, and i will also add that The Register is a very reputable source for information.

jaynigs

Wanderer
David;655453 said:
Anti-Piracy measures don't bother me even a little bit. I have been known to download a song or two if I am looking for something specific but I like to have complete albums ripped at high bit rates so I always wind up buying the album anyway. As for DVDs, I have watched several on my Vista PC both straight from the DVD and ripped to MP4--The quality seems fine to me. I'm not sure what the complaint is.

Hi David, the issue isnt with DVD, besides, the "DRM MACHINE" that microsoft have planned isn't even activated as of yet, mainly i suspect due to the lack of bluray and hddvd devices for the pc as of yet, this plan could be gossip, but i've not known the register website to stick their neck out with information that has no verification

David;655453 said:
Supposedly next gen media like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are gonna require special video cards/monitors to play at proper quality, in an effort to get everyone to upgrade to DRM hardware. But I just dont see it. (As per my previous post)

jaynigs;655454 said:
I totally agree with what you said with regards the damage and numerous other comments you have made, but this was the reason for my point earlier that microsoft can do as they wish, since there isnt really any serious competitor. We are very much stuck with microsoft. It would seem common sense as you stated for microsoft to do exactly what you said, but common sense isn't always used. And this was the whole point of my initial post. Only Time will tell what happens with regards to DRM, and i will also add that The Register is a very reputable source for information.
Microsoft cannot do as it wishes. It does have competitors.. Microsoft does not have the patent to those forms of media. They have to answer to the people who own those patents for them to be usable at all on their platform.

jaynigs

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;655459 said:
Microsoft cannot do as it wishes. It does have competitors.. Microsoft does not have the patent to those forms of media. They have to answer to the people who own those patents for them to be usable at all on their platform.

Microsoft has no real competitors, linux is a joke, except for running a server.. Great!!! hmm what else is there??

I dont agree patents are the reason, and i also don't believe harware manufacturers give a damn either, for a basic example, lets take sony corp, they are very much involved in the music industry, this doesnt stop them producing cd burners.

Microsoft have buckled to hollywoods demands, thats true, but you can bet it came with a pay cheque.

Really? No competitiors? Nasdaq: GOOG (Google, Inc.) Summary Some pretty high numbers there There's also Apple and the FSF

They dont own the patents... They LEGALLY must answer to those who do in order to have it on their platform at all. (for a period of time, anyways) Note I'm not talking about the manufacterers of the discs... for instance there's many brands of CDs, but Philips owns the patent, they are the ones who must be answered to, not memorex or any other manufacterer

jaynigs

Wanderer
I said serious competitors, apple? oh please, id rather revert to my amiga or even windows millenium.. :p as for FSF i assume you mean the free software foundation? its free for a reason, its crap.. Face it microsoft own this market.

As for patents, i was sure sony and philips jointly own the patent, and possible another company? pioneer?

*Edit, it seems philips owns the patent for CDR and CDRW only, not cds themselves.. according to google search, and i think maybe pioneer is laser disc

....GOOGLE. and gievn how much google loves open source software, they'll probably back the FSF up on thinks that RMS isnt too overboard paranoid about.

and I cannot speak for apple, I havent used one in years, but i was stuck with Windows ME till about 4 months ago, and trust me, nothing is worse than that pile of shit... nothing.

WarAngel

Wanderer
jaynigs;655471 said:
I said serious competitors, apple? oh please, id rather revert to my amiga or even windows millenium..

lol. Now I see understand why such incorrect things in this topic have been said.