RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your **DREAM** Computer!

bzk90

Lord
IHaveRegistered said:
Here's the gig... no... not the memory... But anywho, simply list what your dream computer would be, hehehe... Unlike the rest of you, mine exists...

Here, im'a just copy it, save you the travel :p

Quoted from site:

Price?... Lets ignore that... ($3,524,085.00... without any of the fancy features selected... american... and i'm canadian... yea...)

http://store.sun.com/CMTemplate/CEServlet?process=SunStore&cmdStartWebConfig_CP&familyCode=AMAZON25&baseSelected=2

how can you have 288gb of memory?i was under the impression that 64bit proccesing allowed for no more then 128gb of ram?

bzk90

Lord
IHaveRegistered said:
? You can have a SATA RAID Hard drive... I was saying if you had BOTH, as in making it SATA instead of PATA?

theres no such thing as a sata raid hard drive, you can raid 2 or more sata hard drives.

pata doesnt have the ability to use raid as a motherboard can only have a few pata hard drives (its either 2 or 4 i dont remember which)

you cant have raid without sata or scsi.

Serp

Sorceror
bzk90 said:
how can you have 288gb of memory?i was under the impression that 64bit proccesing allowed for no more then 128gb of ram?
The theoretical limit is 17179869184 gb.

bzk90

Lord
IHaveRegistered said:
Ask the company... they made it :\

I just want it. lmao
for that kind of money you could build an entire data center, you would be waisting your money buying that

bzk90 said:
theres no such thing as a sata raid hard drive, you can raid 2 or more sata hard drives.

pata doesnt have the ability to use raid as a motherboard can only have a few pata hard drives (its either 2 or 4 i dont remember which)

you cant have raid without sata or scsi.

A computer can have up to 4 PATA hd's... although you'd have no CD drives... And either way, you can fix it with some stupid little card, ditto goes for SATA, dunno about SCSI.

And is SATA not faster than SCSI drives nowadays?

bzk90

Lord
Jakob said:
The theoretical limit is 17179869184 gb.
i must have misread gb for tb then ;/

i highly doubt we will see that kind of memory in the next 100 generations though, not until we see 100gb memory modules

bzk90 said:
i must have misread gb for tb then ;/

i highly doubt we will see that kind of memory in the next 100 generations though, not until we see 100gb memory modules

Do you really think so, with the way games are going and such?

EDIT: Making games... like... ya... and movies... Not really playing them

bzk90

Lord
IHaveRegistered said:
A computer can have up to 4 PATA hd's... although you'd have no CD drives... And either way, you can fix it with some stupid little card, ditto goes for SATA, dunno about SCSI.

And is SATA not faster than SCSI drives nowadays?

depends on what you are comparing, scsi still has the larger rpm's but sata2 has 2x the cache when compared to scsi

the fastest sata drive is 10k rpm
im pretty sure the fastest scsi drive is 15k rpm
the fastest sata2 drive is 7200rpm with 16mb of cache instead of the standard 8mb cache on the scsi and sata1 drives

however i have heard that 2 sata2 drives in raid can outperform 2 sata1 10k rpm in raid

Serp

Sorceror
My dream computer is...

... my current one. I love it. :)

Specs
  • Monitors: Compaq MV900 + Eizo L550 (not in pic)
  • Case: Shuttle SN85G4
  • Processor: AMD64 3200+
  • Memory: 1GB Kingston
  • Gfx: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
  • Sound: Sennheiser PC155
  • Mouse: MS Explorer 3.0
  • Keyboard: Keytronic ergoforce KT2001
  • Soda: Pepsi

Edit: added specs :-P this.Geekiness++

bzk90 said:
depends on what you are comparing, scsi still has the larger rpm's but sata2 has 2x the cache when compared to scsi

the fastest sata drive is 10k rpm
im pretty sure the fastest scsi drive is 15k rpm
the fastest sata2 drive is 7200rpm with 16mb of cache instead of the standard 8mb cache on the scsi and sata1 drives

however i have heard that 2 sata2 drives in raid can outperform 2 sata1 10k rpm in raid

Heh, that would actually be interesting to put a scsi and a sata up to a nice test (using raid and not using raid...)...

bzk90

Lord
IHaveRegistered said:
Do you really think so, with the way games are going and such?

EDIT: Making games... like... ya... and movies... Not really playing them

the video game industry is not going to be the industry that pushes the technology industry forward. if i had to guess i would say that the need for companies to large amounts of content across the web is what will push the need for faster servers

the kind of computer your looking at isnt designed for a workstation to produce video games, its aimed at distributing content to millions of people, there will never be a need for that kind of power in the video game industry

bzk90

Lord
Jakob said:
My dream computer is...

... my current one. I love it. :)

Specs
  • Monitors: Compaq MV900 + Eizo L550 (not in pic)
  • Case: Shuttle SN85G4
  • Processor: AMD64 3200+
  • Memory: 1GB Kingston
  • Gfx: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
  • Sound: Sennheiser PC155
  • Mouse: MS Explorer 3.0
  • Keyboard: Keytronic ergoforce KT2001
  • Soda: Pepsi

Edit: added specs :-P this.Geekiness++
have me beat ;/ except my monitor and keyboard/mouse and soda are better

Got me beat... by a long shot? My current computer: (brace yourself for crappyness...)

CPU: 2533 MHz Celeron D 256kb cache, 133 FSB
Board: Sucks. No AGP ports, no* PCI-E ports... 3 PCI ports... sucks...
HD: WD 40gb and 320gb, both PATA sadly...
CD/DVD: Asus CD-RW (dunno speed, too lazy to check), and BenQ 16xDVD+/- R
Internet: Ethernet...? (some onboard one... doesn't really make a difference... 10/100mb) Cable internet (who doesn't have that one?)
VC: Integraded 64mb... Yes... integraded...
Floppy: NONE!!! I AM TOO POOR TO GET A NEW CASE TO FIT THE PIECE OF CRAP!
RAM: 256mb (dunno other specs, 3CL i think?)

bzk90 said:
the video game industry is not going to be the industry that pushes the technology industry forward. if i had to guess i would say that the need for companies to large amounts of content across the web is what will push the need for faster servers

the kind of computer your looking at isnt designed for a workstation to produce video games, its aimed at distributing content to millions of people, there will never be a need for that kind of power in the video game industry

Way to ruin my dream :( *goes to look for another dream...*

Soda: Pepsi
LMAO!

bzk90

Lord
IHaveRegistered said:
Got me beat... by a long shot? My current computer: (brace yourself for crappyness...)

CPU: 2533 MHz Celeron D 256kb cache, 133 FSB
Board: Sucks. No AGP ports, so PCI-E ports... 3 PCI ports... sucks...
HD: WD 40gb and 320gb, both PATA sadly...
CD/DVD: Asus CD-RW (dunno speed, too lazy to check), and BenQ 16xDVD+/- R
Internet: Ethernet...? (some onboard one... doesn't really make a difference... 10/100mb) Cable internet (who doesn't have that one?)
VC: Integraded 64mb... Yes... integraded...
Floppy: NONE!!! I AM TOO POOR TO GET A NEW CASE TO FIT THE PIECE OF CRAP!
RAM: 256mb (dunno other specs, 3CL i think?)

you do realize that pci-e is superior to agp right?

Lord Nemesis

Wanderer
My baby (Even though she's far from perfect)

Monitors: KDS Visual Sensations
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 768MB Kingston
Gfx: Radeon 9250
Sound: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Mouse: Basic PS/2 Compatible Mouse -.-
Keyboard: Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard -.-
Burner - Sony CD-RW CRX230ED
Modem - Toshiba Cable Modem PCX2600
Drink - Pepsi or Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey