RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your programing history( runuo counts ^^ )

David

Moderate
OK, I've started with BASIC on an Atari 400 then a C64, did a little QBASIC for school but not much.
Did a fair bit of Assembler for the C64, Compute! never bought my games though the bastards.
Picked up Visual Basic 3.0 and discovered Windows programming - I wondered how much better it could get than that.
I followed VB up through 6.0 but mostly as a hobby or some quick utility for work. Although I did have one Shareware app that actually sold a few copies.
I wrote some of the most complex Excel/VBA macros ever produced by mankind.
With RunUO I discovered C# and dropped VB (pre .Net) like a hot potato.

Been programming for a long time, but not professionally.

dracana

Sorceror
Anyone ever heard of Pick Basic or Universe?? Lol, probably not... It is a multi-valued database language, in case you were wondering :). That is where I got my start about 12 years ago, developing in Universe (well, not including writing text adventure games in Basic when I was in my teens). You seeing how old I am now :p

About 8 years ago I moved from Universe to coding HTML and Perl on Unix for our company intranet. Two years later, I decided I didn't like Perl and asked our VP of IS if we could move to ASP on Windows Servers!. Worked in ASP/Javascript/VB Com ever since. During this time I started playing Ultima Online (3 years ago).

Just last year, we decided to start rewriting our ASP pages in .Net. At this time, I decided I would also take a stab at RunUO C# scripting. Having a great time with it too!

FingersMcSteal

Sorceror
I've actually seen an old pick system run, was with an old firm i used to work for. They had it in storage in one of the computer rooms so me & my boss dug it out one day for a laugh and turned it on.... and it worked !!! (once it warmed up).

You must be older than me... Yay !!!

Oh, and i programmed in COBOL too, thats old too :D

dracana

Sorceror
FingersMcSteal said:
I've actually seen an old pick system run, was with an old firm i used to work for. They had it in storage in one of the computer rooms so me & my boss dug it out one day for a laugh and turned it on.... and it worked !!! (once it warmed up).

You must be older than me... Yay !!!

Oh, and i programmed in COBOL too, thats old too :D

LOL. Actually my wife STILL programs in COBOL. That's why she is making the big bucks :)

crackrat

Wanderer
god i hate threads like this they always make me dated LOL.
first programming language learned was basic took semester of it in high school circa 1978. it was an experimental program being offered at the time and was taught by use of a teletype machine hooked by phone line to a local govt computer. i failed miserably mainly due to the fact the computer on the other end and tic tac toe and other games that i spent hours playing instead of doing my homework. lol i really used up a ton of paper for nothing.

after high school my dad bought me a z80 and i started using assem for the 8080 processor, from there i joined a club a Colorado school of mines that was dedicated to assem programs for the apple 2c.

when the commodore computer came out i switched and programmed in assem for about 2 more years. at this time i got into CNC machinery which was just coming into existence in local machine shops. I was doing work as an apprentice tool and die maker and was watching the guys on the CNC machines in their white coats pushing few buttons and thought man that looks really cool.

when i got my Amiga i found a used copy of borland C ver. 3.01 at a local used software store and decided to give the language a try.

for several years i did absolutely nothing other than modal coding for CNC machinery. learned how to run several CAD-CAM- EDA programs that were hitting the market.

as windows first hit the market i picked up a super expensive and literally useless PC. the first os2 machines were slow and really didn't offer much.
as the computers got better and better i got into windows 95 and started back learning c+ and early visual basic.

though a friend i became a beta tester for windows 2000. At this time i also was part of a small company that specialized in databased web design for local businesses. while mainly my duties were graphic design, i used php and html. i also was still poking along with c+ and was beginning to learn c++.

since that time Ive worked briefly (3 years) in the game industry and have helped on two mmogs as both a internal tester and coder as well as
3Dgraphics designer.

Ive also done a few semesters towards a computer science degree and Msce certs as a software design applications engineer.

while working in the game industy i found out about game emulators such as runuo and became somat involved in two different shards as a seer. I also picked up C# as a language.

due to economics in my area Ive went back to machining as my current career. and currently am lead man / programmer / setup and tooling design for 16 CNC machines.

total programming of one sort or another 27 years non professionally and about 19 years professionally.

languages at least familiar with:Assembly, Macro Assembly, basic, qbasic, Visual Basic, COBOL, Fortran, C, C+, C++, C#,PHP , HTML,Perl, and Unix script And practically all forms of CNC numeric control.

LOL my god i am old as dirt and a geek, my wife is correct.

Mmmmm CNC machines ^^. I messed with those in HS when I went through my industrial tech + CAD classes .... fun stuff ^^.

Anyone besides me familar with a lil program called Pro Desktop 8.0?

Im sure theres lots that are atleast familar with something like LT AutoCAD 2k.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Hmm

Well I've never really gotten into hard core programming....I've been involved with UO emulators since 1999 though with UOX then Sphere and now RunUO. Mainly just minor things like adding new items and such as EA evolved UO I've tried my hand at keeping up with them as best as possible.

I remember us doing BASIC in school when I was around the 6th or 7th grade then I didn't touch a computer again till my Senior Year of High School....I spent from 1999 till 2002 almost none stop playing UO in one form or another then disappeared from the NET and all personal computer interaction till 2005....when wouldn't ya know it first thing I did was get a copy of RunUO and started reading the scripts in it via notepad untill I d/l Visual C# Express (which has made life so much easier)

That 3 years has really hurt me as far as current Computer knowledge...I remember taking the pratice exams for A+ Net + and MCSE and breezing through them just from what I knew prior to 2002 with no classes or study just my constant facination on what makes a computer do what it does.

Soon as I have enough time in at my current employment to get tuition reimbursment I plan on going to take a few programming classes (at least enough classes for a 2 year degree) so that I can catch up on the past 4 years and expand my knowledge base a bit more.

FingersMcSteal

Sorceror
LOL. Actually my wife STILL programs in COBOL. That's why she is making the big bucks
*Throws really big old cobol book at partner & shouts learn wench :) *
first programming language learned was basic took semester of it in high school circa 1978.
YES... i'm not the only old fart here :D
i started using assem for the 8080 processor
Did you know space invaders was written on that processor i think... Usless fact number 72594343434

Atomic

Wanderer
I got my first computer when I was 11, and instantly became curious of how things worked. I first used internet one or two years later, and started playing a lot with html and javascript. With 13 I started playing UO, with 14 I opened my first shard on sphere, learnt sphere scripting and made quite a lot of scripts in that. Around beta 14 I moved to RunUO and started to learn C#, and I love it ever since. Last year I started college (computer science) and had to make a few programs in java and c but didn't like them much. Now I'm learning python and it seems very, very cool (yes, even more than C#!)

bzk90

Lord
Even though (X)HTML, javascript, XML, etc dont count as "Programming" since they are scripting languages (theres a difference last i checked) Its all i know so ;/

started html when i was 13ish
xhtml/css/javascript/xml/xslt all within the last year

Sep102

Page
I'm entirely too lazy to provide explanations of where and when I learned languages and the like, like other people, so in order of knowledge, most to least:

C++
C (C89 mostly, very little C99)
C#
Java
x86 Assembly (using NASM and inline in C/C++)
Haskell
BASIC (VB 6 and non-VB BASIC)
LISP (well, COMMON LISP)
RPG
COBOL
Eiffel
Python
Pascal

And I've at least seen and researched a bit about many other languages I've forgotten. For some background, I've done many different projects using C/C++, a few using C#, not as many using other languages, as most of them I've learned by toying around with rather than using on real projects. I'm also currently working on my first program with a team that is reaching around 90k lines of C/C++ code and 10k lines of C# code, with the C# written almost exclusively by me.

Oh, and I most enjoy C++, though I must say I am entirely too enamored of the Functional Programming paradigm since learning Haskell.

I started playin on computers when I was 3 when my parents first got one in 1992. It was a P166, gateway I believe, and all I did was play games; but I liked em from the first time I used one. As windows 95 and 98 came out, I got more familiar exploring, experimenting. I built the first computer for me to use as my own PC in 2002 when i was 12 (It was a bumpy road with complications, but eventually was completed and provided me with a big learning experience on how computers work). I have since built 4 more for myself. I 'm good with software and web development; along with coding and game development. I'm a junior in highschool and I take Webmastering III, straight A's all year, even 2 hundreds. I know I'm still learning, but I think I'm pretty experienced, at least for my age. I'm not great with C# as I've had no classes, but I manipulate RunUO with a basic understanding of keywords and key terms and error understanding.

Greystar

Wanderer
well I wasn't going to post in this thread but I was bored so changed my mind.

I started a long time ago with Assembler you know the one that looks like your typing in Hexidecimal... not very human friendly... worked alot on and off with basic and batchfiles (had a really neat batch file that might as well have been a program initself), after messing around with basic for a while and writing a Character gerenator to use with my D&D and AD&D games and an RPG that I was throwing together at the time I moved on to C. I started working with MUDs ages ago starting with a MERC moving on to ROM and later to ROT still toy around with my DAWN code now which is just a ROM derivative. Later after I went to college and got a Bachelors of Science: Computer SoftWare Engineering I started working for 2 years as a cobol programmer (btw I HATE cobol now) and working as a programmer made me officially retire from programming I now can say that I pretty well know how to use VB/C/C++/VC/Cobol/Assembly/Basic/HTML along with Some C# (mostly from dabbling with RunUO code) I have little to know experience with PHP, I know a bit of ASP and SQL. I still like to pull out my OLD mud to keep myself fresh with C/C++ since I havnt yet made the effort to convert it all to C++ its still about half C and half C++ and ocassionally I still even play on a mud every so often. as far as other emulators ive actually messed with scripting for that would be limited to UO emulators like Sphere, Wolfpack, POL and RUNUO, RunUO being the easiest since to me C# is just a bridge between VC and VB alot of the structure and syntax is damn close, atleast enough to make it make sense with a little extra trial and error. Eventually I plan to go back to college again and take some more programming classes even though its only a hobby to me now. It's fun when working for a company and all the stuffed shirt programmers just think im a Hardware monkey (PC Tech) but I can pretty much finish any project they are working on or jump right in the middle and give advice on how to fix a problem. It also helps the company cause I can tell them that they hardware that they are going to use the program with is or is not going to work as intended. I like knowing both ends of the spectrum even though all my College Professors TEACH their students that you HAVE to pick an aspect of computers you CANT do it all, although any class I'm in the teachers all know me because i've been going to school at the same place on and off for years so they say well everyone but Shawn has to pick since he's already doing it all. (btw Shawn is my first name for those that DON'T know).

[DISCLAIMER] I am not bragging, this is why I wasn't going to post in this thread cause to me that sounds like bragging. [/DISCLAIMER]

PS: almost all the programmers who I know seem to forget how to spell normal words the longer they are programming.

crackrat

Wanderer
Mmmmm CNC machines ^^. I messed with those in HS when I went through my industrial tech + CAD classes .... fun stuff ^^.

Anyone besides me familiar with a lil program called Pro Desktop 8.0?

I'm sure theres lots that are at least familiar with something like LT Auto CAD 2k.

lol yea funny thing is i would prefer to run manual equipment. to me its alot more skill orientated and requires a higher degree of craftsmanship to make a good part. but heh CNC pays the bills and with so few of the newer machinists i've met not having skills i kinda found my nitch :)[disclaimer] im not saying that there are not people with skills or craftmanship in younger generations. There is a real shortage of quality craftsmanship in the area i live.[/disclaimer]

I actually have used pro desktop alittle. normally i use mastercam(pretty much any version), and also very adept on ProE, SurfCam, AutoCad(pretty much any version),Catia(my most favorite cad-cam proggie wish more shops used it) and 3D Studio Max(spent about 6 years on it 3 professionly).

YES... I'm not the only old fart here
LOL 45 here according to my manager thats old in training :)

Did you know space invaders was written on that processor i think... Usless fact number 72594343434
LOL didn't actual know that but it doesn't surprise me there were alot of coin op game machines built using that processor for its time it rocked.

[DISCLAIMER] I am not bragging, this is why I wasn't going to post in this thread cause to me that sounds like bragging. [/DISCLAIMER]
Naw never known you to have a big head about things. Always noted you to ask decent questions when you needed help and usually give decent answers when asked for help. personaly you gained my respect some time ago.

PS: almost all the programmers who I know seem to forget how to spell normal words the longer they are programming.
hope you dont mind i sent this one to senior dev that i still occasionally work with. He has a habit of doing abbreviations for any word over three characters. Needless to say some of his weekly and monthly reports are great reading :D

Rom muds are good ^^. I stil play muds some what if I can find a good gw mud. I played this one mud named Fallen Majesty for so long and i loved it so much but it basically died out after rand stopped hosting it ... was sweet as hell. For the most part now days its hard to find a good solid mud though bedcause most of them are nothing much mickey-moused muds( someone went copy pastey from various sources of muds into one big hunk of junk of a mud( wich happens to always be the ones that are the most bug infested cause the noobs running it only know how to highlight and right click lol ) ).

[Edit]Alny and all that support SMAUG muds must be swiftly be beaten lifeless!. I HATE smaug! Even smaug muds seem to always have the niceest mob progs they are the bigest the pain in the ass ever![/EDIT]

Greystar

Wanderer
crackrat said:
hope you dont mind i sent this one to senior dev that i still occasionally work with. He has a habit of doing abbreviations for any word over three characters. Needless to say some of his weekly and monthly reports are great reading :D

nah, I don't mind. It was mostly an observation (and one that I fit into :))

as far as Smaug goes, yes its horrible and yes it did have the best mob programs even though they where a pain in the A$$ to write.

Sep102

Page
Greystar said:
well I wasn't going to post in this thread but I was bored so changed my mind.
heh, that's exactlly the reason I posted in the thread, I hate bragging about myself, because that is what I did, and exactly what I knew I would do, so I was trying to keep myself out of this for as long as possible. Funny what boredom will do to you, it's so helpful.

Atomic

Wanderer
For the ones who hate python, do you care to elaborate? I'd like to know it's problems before I'm too engaged in it :p