RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yup, I need some opinions...

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
Yup, I need some opinions...

Ok, here is my story:

We are moving at the end of October to our new home. (YIPEE) There is either dialup *gulp* or satelite (I know nothing about this). I love playing with RunUO, scripts and my puter (pushing it to its limits).

My dilemnas:

1. What would you do for a connection, and whom would you go with?

2. If I felt crazy enough to try and host a server, and obviously know I cant with those connections, what hosting company does anyone recommend I look into.

3. If number 2 doesnt work out for me well, and I get even crazier and try to set-up fully functioning servers for others and maybe make them download-able using mine and other's scripts. Is this ethical/respective of said scripters?

Final thought:

I'm open to any and all critisims, comments, advice, help at this point. Excited about the new place, its our dream home. Although after being a computer junky, and returning to school soon for computers, Im a little bewildered at having no decent high speed available in my area.

*edit: Maybe I should just work harder at learning C# more intimately and actually contribute something more to the community?

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
Tru;713519 said:
When you say Satellite what exactly do you mean?

I dunno. LOL When I told a friend there was only dialup, she said well you could always use satellite as well. But she didnt know where to go, and explained thats what her uncle had to use cause he lives out in the woods somewhere.

Tru

Knight
Only Satellite internet I know about is VSat, I'm a VSat installer, its really high end though and pretty expensive. I remember a form of Sat Internet that you d/l from the satellite and upload thru your phone....not sure if that form is still around.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
Tru;713530 said:
Only Satellite internet I know about is VSat, I'm a VSat installer, its really high end though and pretty expensive. I remember a form of Sat Internet that you d/l from the satellite and upload thru your phone....not sure if that form is still around.

Well I think its available through directv as well, but dont quote me on that. Its the first company that popped in my head. I remember seeing a commercial for it here in wisconsin for their internet. I know its one of the two biggest installers here: DirecTV and Dish Network

Im embarassed to say after packing, cleaning, and moving boxes most of the weekend Im too pooped and lazy to google it. Besides Ive learnt there are some pretty smart cookies here on the forums that may have a better plan for me. :p

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
TheRockstar2253;713534 said:
When using Sat Internet dont you lose connection when bad weather comes around?

*whimpers* Im doomed. We are moving to a remote area, in a small town thats so far north in Wisconsin, we might as well say we are in Michigan. Not moving is out of the question though. My positive/negative list had the positives FAR out-weighing the negatives. Actually tbh my only complaint is the internet connection availablity.

DebbieDoo;713535 said:
*whimpers* Im doomed. We are moving to a remote area, in a small town thats so far north in Wisconsin, we might as well say we are in Michigan. Not moving is out of the question though. My positive/negative list had the positives FAR out-weighing the negatives. Actually tbh my only complaint is the internet connection availablity.

Well see from what I heard, SatInternet is awesome and superfast. (Its Just What I heard Just Incase You want to Call Me Wrong).

But I also heard the only BAD thing about SatInternet is losing connection during bad weather. But Good Luck finding a Good internet connection. DSL is still a good resort if you cant find a cable internet service.

Tru

Knight
TheRockstar2253;713534 said:
When using Sat Internet dont you lose connection when bad weather comes around?

Depends on your antenna and Power. But for the most part if the weathers bad there will be some issues.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
TheRockstar2253;713537 said:
Well see from what I heard, SatInternet is awesome and superfast. (Its Just What I heard Just Incase You want to Call Me Wrong).

But I also heard the only BAD thing about SatInternet is losing connection during bad weather. But Good Luck finding a Good internet connection. DSL is still a good resort if you cant find a cable internet service.

Did all my calling after we got the papers saying its our place, no dsl and no cable internet, which is all Ive had for the better part of 5+ yrs. (except when we moved a few times cause hubby is in the Army.)

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
Tru;713538 said:
Depends on your antenna and Power. But for the most part if the weathers bad there will be some issues.

Greeeeat, and can we all say "blizzard" country boys and girls? lol No, I dont mean Dairy Queen.

DebbieDoo;713540 said:
Did all my calling after we got the papers saying its our place, no dsl and no cable internet, which is all Ive had for the better part of 5+ yrs. (except when we moved a few times cause hubby is in the Army.)
O crap now I see your problem. Well all I can say is that if I was in your position, I would take what I can get. And I would deal with the bad weather downtime aslong as it will come back after the storm passes.

And I would take SatInternet over Dial-Up Any day. I remember using dial up years ago and I was always frustrated on having to wait to Load one Website. Actually that still happens every now and then lol.:p

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
TheRockstar2253;713542 said:
O crap now I see your problem. Well all I can say is that if I was in your position, I would take what I can get. And I would deal with the bad weather downtime aslong as it will come back after the storm passes.

And I would take SatInternet over Dial-Up Any day. I remember using dial up years ago and I was always frustrated on having to wait to Load one Website. Actually that still happens every now and then lol.:p

Kind of what I was thinking, but thought "well maybe all the geniuses at RunUO would know of a way, or hey better yet, script it, lol" It was a short lived thought, but hey, its worth a try anyhow. My lil brother told me I could look into WiFi or something with a cell phone and my desktop, but lost me after that. Im very illiterate when it comes to hardware. My fortay was DOS way back on my AppleIIe. YOU CAN STOP LAUGHING NOW. *giggles* After that it was primarily Windows, I just recently got turned on to Red Hat and Ubuntu distros of Linux though. Anyhow, Im babbling, Id blame my ADD but nah its me.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
TheRockstar2253;713545 said:
Nothing Against Anyone On RunUO, But in my opinion, I have yet to find an Actual "Genius" on this forum. Escpecially myself.

Well, I say it because everyone so far has been pleasant to me, helpful and fun. Also because they know more than me, even you. Besides, I shy away from confrontation, and just dont have it in me to say anything hurtful about/to anyone. :eek:

Hammerhand

Knight
So basically you're stuck with the options of either Satellite or what amounts to 2 cans and a very long string.. HHhmmm.. tough choice there. Personally, if I had to choose between my cable & *choke* dialup, cable would win.. if I had the choice of dialup or nothing.... I'd sell my computer. Satellite would be your best bet, just have to worry about weather and the possibility of a funny lil thing called sunspots. Dunno if they would cause problems with it, but I do know they can cause havoc on communications. With MY luck tho, the satellite I was connected to would get hit with a meteor. :rolleyes: I know this wasnt any help, unless it brought a smile to your face. :D

TMSTKSBK

Lord
<offtopic>
I have lived with three RedHat employees in the past four months >_>.

Their corporate HQ is two miles away from where I'm sitting.</ot>

Satellite isn't exactly ideal, but it's faster than dialup.

Contract a T3 line with the local phone service :D:D.

Tru

Knight
Hammerhand;713561 said:
So basically you're stuck with the options of either Satellite or what amounts to 2 cans and a very long string.. HHhmmm.. tough choice there. Personally, if I had to choose between my cable & *choke* dialup, cable would win.. if I had the choice of dialup or nothing.... I'd sell my computer. Satellite would be your best bet, just have to worry about weather and the possibility of a funny lil thing called sunspots. Dunno if they would cause problems with it, but I do know they can cause havoc on communications. With MY luck tho, the satellite I was connected to would get hit with a meteor. :rolleyes: I know this wasnt any help, unless it brought a smile to your face. :D

Sun Spots do affect Satellite quality.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
Hammerhand;713561 said:

Hehe yes of course it did make me smile, besides I love hearing what other people think of things. It kind of helps me put things into perspective while I gather my own thoughts on a particular subject.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
TMSTKSBK;713562 said:
<offtopic>

Contract a T3 line with the local phone service :D:D.

Pshaw! I wish.

TMSTKSBK;713562 said:
<offtopic>
I have lived with three RedHat employees in the past four months >_>.

Their corporate HQ is two miles away from where I'm sitting.</ot>

Is Red Hat bad, or does Linux just get a better connection?