RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yup, I need some opinions...

greywolf79

Sorceror
I use Bresnan for internet, phone, and TV. I get 8 meg down, and about 1-1.5 meg upload for about $30/month. Cable internet btw. Seems to be most reliable. Though I have had good luck with DSL (can get it for about the same). Even on dial-up you should be able to play uo, albeit with a lot of lag. As for setting up a server... If you mean shard then you do not need a host company, if you mean a server like a webpage then you need the host. Lots of good ones out there but I would just do a search for Dynamic DNS (I think that is it). They will make it so you get a ip that will remain the same even if your pc changes its ip. Just a little harder to set up, but cheaper in the end. Hope that helps you out.

Also, even dial-up could in theory support a shard, as long as there was not more than 2-3 players on at a time. Just takes about 2.5K per client on upload ability, on dialup I was getting 5-7 up and down.

GreyWolf.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
greywolf79;714067 said:
I use Bresnan for internet, phone, and TV. I get 8 meg down, and about 1-1.5 meg upload for about $30/month. Cable internet btw. Seems to be most reliable. Though I have had good luck with DSL (can get it for about the same). Even on dial-up you should be able to play uo, albeit with a lot of lag. As for setting up a server... If you mean shard then you do not need a host company, if you mean a server like a webpage then you need the host. Lots of good ones out there but I would just do a search for Dynamic DNS (I think that is it). They will make it so you get a ip that will remain the same even if your pc changes its ip. Just a little harder to set up, but cheaper in the end. Hope that helps you out.

Also, even dial-up could in theory support a shard, as long as there was not more than 2-3 players on at a time. Just takes about 2.5K per client on upload ability, on dialup I was getting 5-7 up and down.

GreyWolf.

Well, now that you bring it up a place to host the server IS another option, but I would still be on dialup myself. Trying to run a server with the owner on dialup is no fun. No, actually I was just going to host on my puter so my son (in the same home) could connect to it with me and we could do whatever we like without worry, might get boring after a bit, but thats where the fun begins. I plan on playing with maps and and art as well for kicks. Be a great learning experience for me cause I wont get sidetracked wanting to play so much and FINALLY submit to the forums here. *fingers crossed*

Although I really havent gotten an answer to #3 on my original post.

greywolf79

Sorceror
See, I run a shard on my pc for me, my wife, my kids, and a couple friends... It is a little boring until you get the customs you want in place. Just remember to get the breeding set too so it adds extra fun, only need 2 to breed pets and depending on how you alter the breeding it can take months to reach max on a set of pets... So that could get you lots of time while making your own changes.

I look forward to seeing those submissions as time goes on... Good luck either way though. It is a fun game, even with just one (my shard just has me until it is finished being developed).

GreyWolf.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
It is possible to run your internet off of a cell phone.

Not particularly fun, but possible.

However, if you're moving to the sticks anyway, you probably won't have much in the way of service. Therefore, a 3G (or even 2.5G) network is unlikely.

Depending on what provider you're with, you could, theoretically, connect to either an HSDPA network (AT&T/GSM), or an EV-DO (Verizon/CDMA) network. Either of these have data rates similar to, but slightly less than, a cable/dsl modem. Also, it obviously depends on signal strength and tower equipment in your area.

To note, the EV-DO network Verizon touts is not really ubiquitous. Similarly, the HSDPA network from AT&T is only rolled out in a few major cities so far. Either option would cost you from 60-100 dollars a month. Finally, you also need a 3G-ready phone. There are several out there (none from SE in the US, unfortunately).

Want to have fun? Look up WIMAX.

Me wanty.

IIRC, T-Mobile has a "hotspot" service that you can get. I *think* that you can use it to install a tiny GSM base station in your house, and then use cell phones with better service.