RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language

Aulus

Wanderer
33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language

Picked this up off another forum, thought it may interest some of you.

33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language June 6, 2007.

On Wed, 6 June 2007 23:35:23 -0500, "Colonel Harry Riley USA ret"

Wrote:

Senators, Your vote against an amendment to the Immigration Bill 1348, to make English America's official language is astounding. On D-Day no less when we Honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock character and principles of America I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal aliens. I don't much care where you come from, what your religion is, whether you're black, white or some other color, male or female, democrat, republican or independent, but I do care when you're a United States Senator, representing citizens of America and vote against English as the official language of the United States your vote reflects betrayal, political surrender, violates your pledge of allegiance, dishonors historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on traitorous actions and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United States Senator.....Impeachment, recall, or other appropriate actions are warranted.

Worse, four (4) of you voting against English as America's official language are presidential candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd, and Senator Obama. These four (4) Senators are vying to lead America but won't or don't have the courage to cast a vote in favor of English as America's official language when 91% of American citizens want English officially designated as our language.

This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as political hacks... Unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualified to serve as President of the United States. If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a back-lash so stunning it will literally rock you out of your chair... And preferably, totally out of the United States Senate. The entire immigration bill is a farce... Your action only confirms this really isn't about America ; it's about self-serving politics...Despicable at best.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and Beat you with experience." ~ anonymous

The following senators voted against making English the official Language of America :

Akaka (D-HI)

Bayh (D-IN)

Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?

Bingaman (D-NM)

Boxer (D-CA)

Cantwell (D-WA)

Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?

Dayton (D-MN)

Dodd (D-CT) Wants to be President?

Domenici (R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate seat...

Durbin (D-IL)

Feingold (D-WI) Not unusual for him

Feinstein (D-CA)

Harkin (D-IA)

Inouye (D-HI)

Kennedy (D-MA)

Kerry (D-MA) Wanted to be President

Kohl (D-WI)

Landrieu D La

Lautenberg (D-NJ)

Leahy (D-VT)

Levin (D-MI)

Lieberman (D-CT) Disappointment here.....

Menendez (D-NJ)

Mikulski (D-MD)

Murray (D-WA)

Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President?

Reed (D-RI)

Reid (D-NV) Senate Majority Leader

Salazar (D-CO)

Sarbanes (D-MD)

Schumer (D-NY)

Stabenow (D-M)

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be
Arrested,exiled or hanged." ~ President Abraham Lincoln " Amen "

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
:confused::confused::confused:

Why do you care?

Second of all, it has nothing to do with illegal immigration, America doesn't have an official language because of the founding fathers :/ so I don't see how that makes them unfit to be senators :/ if anything they have America in mind more than the people who voted in favor of it.

America has always been a melting pot country open to all, and while I am in favor of it, its easy to feel that way when you already speak English. There are plenty of people who don't speak English or speak it poorly that ARE legal and DO pay taxes, and there are plenty that speak languages OTHER than Spanish. This is America and we shouldn't be making laws forcing people to conform a certain way whether it be for language or religion or some other characteristic. I know it is counter-intuitive, but it is more American to be against this bill than to be for it.

Aulus

Wanderer
I don't care, I just thought some of you might be interested and I would like to hear opinions on the matter.

Also just to make absolutely sure everyone knows before I start getting attacked... the only bit of that post that I wrote is the top line.

Picked this up off another forum, thought it may interest some of you.

Kiwi

Knight
DontdroptheSOAD;730540 said:
This is America and we shouldn't be making laws forcing people to conform a certain way whether it be for language or religion or some other characteristic. I know it is counter-intuitive, but it is more American to be against this bill than to be for it.

Religion is one thing. You can interact with people on a daily basis without knowing their religion, it doesn't matter. But if you slam into someone at an intersection and get out of your car to exchange your shit and he's ranting and raving at you in Spanish and doesn't know a word of English, or if you're working retail and a disgruntled customer does the same thing, then what? This is a dumb argument. Nobody decides to move to a non-English speaking country and says "I'm just going to speak English there for 20 years. Not going to speak their language, fuck those guys."

Spookyrobert

Sorceror
I just have to wonder if there wasn't other things in the amendment that all the democrats didn't like. I'm sure the wording was not as simple as "English will now be America's official language."

Admin God

Wanderer
Just because a language is declared the "official language" doesn't mean it is/or has to be, the most spoken language.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
why is this even a question.

English should not only be the official language, it should be required.

Scenario time:

<A Firefighter rescues a lady from a burning house.>
Firefighter: You're safe now
Lady: (in Armenian) But my baby's still in there!!!
Firefighter: I don't understand!!
Lady: (in Armenian again) My baby's still in the house!!!
Firefighter: I still don't understand.
<An explosion happens somewhere in the house and baby's arm flies and lands on the ground near them>
Firefighter: Ohh... Shit

Now, you are right this is a melting pot. However, a universal language is needed for communication throughout this country. Since the majority of this country speaks English, since the Constitution and all founding documents are written in English, English should be that universal language.

Now.. no one is saying that people who know other languages shouldn't be allowed to speak them. Diversity is what makes this country so great. But when meeting someone in this country that doesn't speak <insert language here> they should be able to default to English, because most people here already speak it.

Why this is even a question is beyond me. English is supposed to be a requirement for entering this country, and is the standard language taught in most schools. (And should be required in all schools, imo)

Rosetta

Wanderer
Map of languages spoken in USA

18% is a lot of people and also a lot of tax dollars. To teach others to speak English first we would have to find a teacher that would be fluent in both English and the language of the people they are teaching. Then the buildings that they could teach it in. The hours put in, the resources, etc etc... There are bigger problems in the country that I would like to see that money put to.

This country is a big mix of peoples. One needs to accept that or one should move to a country where the official language suits them. This country never started with just one language and I see no reason it needs to do so now. The majority of people that do commonly speak another language know some basic English to get by.

Besides I don't think the UK has an official language either. More just the majority speak English.

Aulus there is debate in your own country over the same matter. The only difference that I have read about is that they are not voting on it one way or another in the UK. But I could be wrong about that. I don't live there and I won't pretend to know all their politics. I just know that in the UK there are similar beliefs about people that do not speak English as the USA has.

Oh I got a question for you, perhaps you will know but anyhow, why is Belgium such a common group to make fun of in British comedies?

Ortanith

Wanderer
If the explosion happened that fast then the baby would have been fucked anyway and BTW FireFighters attempt full inventory of burning buildings on there first entry to make sure they get everyone including babies/cats/dogs/ect.

There were likely other things in that bill that made them vote against it.
And to the Englishman speaking on United States laws and what we should do, GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU DAMN LIMEY!. We broke away from you over 200 years ago after a bloody war. It is the United States of America, there are (depending on where you draw lines for central/south) three countries in North America.
Oh yeah the tag team continues.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Ortanith;730575 said:
If the explosion happened that fast then the baby would have been fucked anyway and BTW FireFighters attempt full inventory of burning buildings on there first entry to make sure they get everyone including babies/cats/dogs/ect.

pets are an entirely optional part of a firefighters line of work fyi.

Don't split hairs. You know damn well there are many situations which require the use of verbal communication.

Setharnas

Sorceror
Ortanith;730575 said:
And to the Englishman speaking on United States laws and what we should do, GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU DAMN LIMEY!.

Wow. Are you one of those asshole racists? As in "we Americans vs. everybody else"? And a hypocrite to boot, considering the way America acts on the international stage? *

He never said anything about what you should do, he just posted an article he found interesting. Am I supposed to go fuck myself too, for the NY Times article I linked in the 'unwarranted surveillance' thread?

Some people reserve the right to voice opinions, you know. Free Speech, I believe that constitutional article was called - at least in my country, what about yours?

* Before anybody gets that wrong, whatever reasons America may have and whether they are good or bad is not the question. Fact is, there are situations where America tells other nations "don't do that".

Setharnas;730584 said:
* Before anybody gets that wrong, whatever reasons America may have and whether they are good or bad is not the question. Fact is, there are situations where America tells other nations "don't do that".

Domestic vs. International affairs.

Just throwing that out there because there is a difference.

WarAngel

Wanderer
I'm glad they voted against it. It's just bullshit appeasement. Making English the official language doesn't change ANYTHING. It doesn't make all of our official documents English-only. It doesn't change the language people you meet on a daily basis speak. It only appeases people, and that's a waste of time compared to the other shit that needs to be dealt with.

Setharnas

Sorceror
TheOutkastDev;730585 said:
Domestic vs. International affairs.

Just throwing that out there because there is a difference.
Yeah, I guess you're right on that, and I confess I didn't think of that angle.

Still, in my opinion that only takes so much off that edge of idiocy that Ortanith showed by posting that. I like to think it takes a lot to make me lose my composure over an internet post, but this one just got to me - even though I'm not even the one addressed. Whatever.

Spookyrobert

Sorceror
WarAngel;730587 said:
I'm glad they voted against it. It's just bullshit appeasement. Making English the official language doesn't change ANYTHING. It doesn't make all of our official documents English-only. It doesn't change the language people you meet on a daily basis speak. It only appeases people, and that's a waste of time compared to the other shit that needs to be dealt with.

I think the only thing it would really change is to make English a requirement for citizenship, which I do think should be the case. But like I said in my other post I bet there was something hidden in the legal speak that would cause more problems/loopholes (when do legal docs. not have something hidden in them)

Aulus

Wanderer
Rosetta;730570 said:
Map of languages spoken in USA
Aulus there is debate in your own country over the same matter. The only difference that I have read about is that they are not voting on it one way or another in the UK. But I could be wrong about that. I don't live there and I won't pretend to know all their politics. I just know that in the UK there are similar beliefs about people that do not speak English as the USA has.

Oh I got a question for you, perhaps you will know but anyhow, why is Belgium such a common group to make fun of in British comedies?

I think there is at the moment, I'm not trying to get at anyone as I said, I just wanted to hear what some Americans thought about the idea. As far as it happening in the UK, I have yet to make my mind up on what I would like them to do.

As for Belgium... I'm not entirely sure, I guess it's kind of like making fun of the French (which happens a lot also), where by no one actually knows why we do it, we just do. I'm sure though if you look back through history you will probably find a reason.

And to the Englishman speaking on United States laws and what we should do, GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU DAMN LIMEY!. We broke away from you over 200 years ago after a bloody war.

Now where to start with this... if you took the time to read my first two posts, you would see that I clearly said I was not the one who wrote this, I simply copied it across from another forum in the hope that maybe there could be a civil discussion about it so that I could see what the people it would actually effect think of the idea. A question to you though, do you actually know why the British used to be nicknamed Limeys? Answer before you go and look it up. And has it been over 200 years already? The way your acting you would think it happened yesterday.

Nothing against the rest of you Americans... just that one!

Ortanith

Wanderer
Setharnas;730584 said:
Wow. Are you one of those asshole racists? As in "we Americans vs. everybody else"? And a hypocrite to boot, considering the way America acts on the international stage? *

He never said anything about what you should do, he just posted an article he found interesting. Am I supposed to go fuck myself too, for the NY Times article I linked in the 'unwarranted surveillance' thread?

Some people reserve the right to voice opinions, you know. Free Speech, I believe that constitutional article was called - at least in my country, what about yours?

Racist? are you lametarded? or just fucktarded?
I am against an official language and what it could result in.
As for America, do you mean both continents?

I do not think the United States has any right to tell other countries what to do, but that's brute force fear. If you don't do what they say they club you over the head, I still think its wrong for ANYONE to do it.

I did not stop or want to stop someone from voicing an opinion, I was using my freedom of speech as well.
You and I do not have the right to not be offended.