RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language

Vorspire

Knight
The official Language of America is not english imho...

English-American is a sub-culture-specific language developed using mainstream English-British as a foundation.

There are so many sub-culture-specific languages derived from English now that plain "English" does not exist anymore, or is rarely used.

Since time has passed on, origianl English has become a dead language thanks to many many variations of original words created by British sub-cultures, that identifying English as English is fast becoming complicated.

Since english is derived from Latin, and English-American is derived from Latin-American, I fail to see how English is actually the official language of America.

English-American seems to be a derivative of English-British, but with many twists and changes. "path->SideWalk" / "Bin->Trash-Can" / "Litter->Garbage" / etc...

IMHO, the official language of America is Latin-English-American

kat20

Sorceror
Nar Matteru;730564 said:
why is this even a question.

English should not only be the official language, it should be required.

Scenario time:

<A Firefighter rescues a lady from a burning house.>
Firefighter: You're safe now
Lady: (in Armenian) But my baby's still in there!!!
Firefighter: I don't understand!!
Lady: (in Armenian again) My baby's still in the house!!!
Firefighter: I still don't understand.
<An explosion happens somewhere in the house and baby's arm flies and lands on the ground near them>
Firefighter: Ohh... Shit

Now, you are right this is a melting pot. However, a universal language is needed for communication throughout this country. Since the majority of this country speaks English, since the Constitution and all founding documents are written in English, English should be that universal language.

Now.. no one is saying that people who know other languages shouldn't be allowed to speak them. Diversity is what makes this country so great. But when meeting someone in this country that doesn't speak <insert language here> they should be able to default to English, because most people here already speak it.

Why this is even a question is beyond me. English is supposed to be a requirement for entering this country, and is the standard language taught in most schools. (And should be required in all schools, imo)

I couldnt agree more!!