RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language

Nar Matteru

Wanderer

I thought we were talking about actual language, not trademarks.

as in things like lol 1337 hax omg etc in newspapers/tv/movies

Rosetta

Wanderer
Nar Matteru;731412 said:

I thought we were talking about actual language, not trademarks.

as in things like lol 1337 hax omg etc in newspapers/tv/movies

I mean stuff like "ur", "nite", "rite","sux", that kind of thing mostly in ads, but not always.

The trademark I was thinking of at the time was wamu. It's not wamu, it's washington mutual.

Rosetta;731435 said:
I mean stuff like "ur", "nite", "rite","sux", that kind of thing mostly in ads, but not always.

The trademark I was thinking of at the time was wamu. It's not wamu, it's washington mutual.

WaMu is more effective than Washington Mutual for marketing purposes. Plus, with a website that differs from your real company name in an age where everyone expects a <your business name>.com, it makes more sense to present yourself as WaMu.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Rosetta;731435 said:

Nope havent seen any of those in advertisements. In any medium really. With the exception of "rite aid", which again is a trademark

Rosetta

Wanderer
WaMu is more effective than Washington Mutual for marketing purposes. Plus, with a website that differs from your real company name in an age where everyone expects a <your business name>.com, it makes more sense to present yourself as WaMu.

Perhaps, but only because spelling and full sentences are not as important to the society as they once were.

Nope havent seen any of those in advertisements. In any medium really. With the exception of "rite aid", which again is a trademark

Whatever jackal. =]

Oh well the whole thing was a side thought to trying to read this painful post during the first part of my day:
ur right until they start talking shit about u when u r trying to help them &/or ur not helping them fast enough i work with the public & i see it all the time they speak english til u turn ur back then they think cause ur white u dont under stand them & they start talking shit about u
so wheter or not its a violation of thier rights then they should not to talk to u in thier language just cause they think u dont under stand

roadmaster

Sorceror
WarAngel;730587 said:
Making English the official language doesn't change ANYTHING. It doesn't make all of our official documents English-only.QUOTE]

I disagree, if English were made the "Official" Language, that would be the first thing that would happen. Our Government spends alot of money on having forms available in other languages for the benefit of those that don't speak English. If English were the "Official" language they could stop spending money on the non-English forms and just tell you ("Not implying you specifically"):D to learn the "Official" language.;)

thus saving the Government money to spend on thier next pet project.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Dude printing costs money. I remember the booklets for our standardized tests in school would have the amount it cost to print them on the back (driver's license test book has the same thing.. I guess its a law to disclose that information on all state publications, or something *shrug*)

anyways, it was alot (5 or 6 figures). So mass printing ain't cheap.

WarAngel

Wanderer
roadmaster;731560 said:
WarAngel;730587 said:
Making English the official language doesn't change ANYTHING. It doesn't make all of our official documents English-only.QUOTE]

I disagree, if English were made the "Official" Language, that would be the first thing that would happen. Our Government spends alot of money on having forms available in other languages for the benefit of those that don't speak English. If English were the "Official" language they could stop spending money on the non-English forms and just tell you ("Not implying you specifically"):D to learn the "Official" language.;)

thus saving the Government money to spend on thier next pet project.

You have to read my follow-up posts. I specifically made two other points about this whole "cost" business. You have to think in terms of action<->reaction, as in what will happen after official documents and laws become English-only. No one seems to want to think past anything other than very immediate and short-term satisfaction, but there are dangers (literally in this case) in such thinking.

Lysdexic

Sorceror
WA, if the US required citizens to learn English, please tell us what problems would still arise? What extra costs? Just like everything else with immigration, it is paid for by the person who wishes to become a citizen. Just like every other immigrant, they must abide by rules and stipulations to become a citizen. If they screw up, even if they did not understand a document, they are held liable, no one else. So why should anything else be any different? Why do we have to pay for them to have special privileges? Not a single one of us has stated that they have no right to be here, that they should suffer, or that they must be treated differently. So quit pulling bullshit accusations out of your ass and actually supply something meaningful to the conversation.

Btw WA, you of all people should never cry about insults. You're the biggest dick on these forums and deserve everything dished out at you.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Making it official would not make people learn the language. They have enough reasons to learn it if they are in the USA.

If the USA makes it a requirement to know English the country better be prepared to pay out what it would cost to make it so that all citizens had an equal chances to learn the language.

Which means we would have to have teachers that knew more than one language. Not just two languages, but all possible languages along with English. Somehow it seems a lot cheaper to have companies pay the printing cost.

And one big note.
WE ARE A COUNTRY OF IMMIGRANTS! We always have been that way and as soon as we change that, we change the entire country.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Lysdexic;731605 said:
WA, if the US required citizens to learn English, please tell us what problems would still arise?

Well like I keep asking, WHY? Why do we have to require that, and furthermore, what right do you have to do so? Are you going to explain this, or should I just stop asking the "why" question?

Moreover, from what I've seen, I don't think you could even garner a majority of people to vote that requirement into place.

And if your sole argument will continue to be cost, I want to see some sources. I don't see this as being even 0.001% of the government's budget which basically leads me to believe that you're raising all sorts of hell over absolutely nothing, or you have other reasons you aren't actually explaining.

Just like everything else with immigration, it is paid for by the person who wishes to become a citizen.

Ah. So your mother-in-law who can't get a job because she doesn't speak English should somehow find the money to learn English? Catch 22 at it's best!

Just like every other immigrant, they must abide by rules and stipulations to become a citizen. If they screw up, even if they did not understand a document, they are held liable, no one else.

Is that fair? We're not going to provide you a way to read our laws and we're not going to provide you a way to learn our language, nonetheless you need to know and learn our laws. Nothing special for anyone!

Why do we have to pay for them to have special privileges?

Special privileges? Having documents available in your language so you can follow our rules and regulations is special? Well shit, we should just stop printing rules in all languages. Let everyone figure out through trial-and-error.

So quit pulling bullshit accusations out of your ass and actually supply something meaningful to the conversation.

I haven't accused you of anything. I've asked you to explain a few things which you still have not. Perhaps you'd like to take your own advice and provide a bit? I'd say I've provided quite enough for you to dissect and reply to. This is a discussion after all, not a question-and-answer session. :)

Btw WA, you of all people should never cry about insults. You're the biggest dick on these forums and deserve everything dished out at you.

I haven't insulted anyone or been a dick on here in months. MONTHS. Get over it.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Nar Matteru;731611 said:
I don't think a single person in this thread is against immigration at all, Mrs. Caps Lock :/

:rolleyes:You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
To simplify: A lot of people coming to one country, all/most of which are immigrants will speak many different languages.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Rosetta;731631 said:
:rolleyes:You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
To simplify: A lot of people coming to one country, all/most of which are immigrants will speak many different languages.

Not if they do it the right way:

What are the requirements for becoming a naturalized united states citizen?

The ability to read, write and speak ordinary English unless they are physically unable to do so due to a disability such as being blind or deaf, or suffer from a developmental disability or mental impairment. Those over 50 years old on the date of filing who have lived here for a total of at least 20 years after admission as a permanent resident and those who are over 55 and have been legal permanent residents for at least 15 years are also exempt from this requirement.

By the bye, I have kept myself from outright insulting you only because I still believe in chivalry somewhat, keep insulting me instead of making valid points, and you will be subjected to the same level of verbal abuse I dish out to the males on this forum.

greywolf79

Sorceror
Well it is only fitting... I mean after all since the predominant language is still English, we MUST cater to those that speak another language instead as their primary language... I mean it would not work if we have so many english speakers and have english as our primary language. We must do as others have done. I mean, I am sure spain does not list spanish as their primary language - it must be French right? So we should cater to the smaller population and do EVERYTHING they ask so as not to make them upset. Therefore we need to ensure that the few are happier than the many. Wouldn't you all agree? Forget the masses, make the small groups happy...

GreyWolf.

pacolaco2

Sorceror
Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb.