RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Shards migrate to new Kingdom Reborn

Radwen

Wanderer
As mentioned earlier, C++ is very similar to C#. It would take you a month to get to where you are in C# at most. Judging from your script releases.

jeremymcc

Sorceror
Is anyone else working on a fork besides the GeNova project? I took one look at that thing and just about had a migraine because of all the custom junk and I think that language in the comments was Italian. We need an English version! :p I've already started plugging in stuff from the foreign sites but thought I'd ask if anyone else is any further.

Alex21

Sorceror
jeremymcc;771925 said:
Is anyone else working on a fork besides the GeNova project? I took one look at that thing and just about had a migraine because of all the custom junk and I think that language in the comments was Italian. We need an English version! :p I've already started plugging in stuff from the foreign sites but thought I'd ask if anyone else is any further.

I might give it a go when i have some time in RL, i started reading myself a new book in the mean time "C++ for dummies" :p

If i get anywhere with KR i will be sure to release it fully documented.

jeremymcc

Sorceror
cool. i'm taking a stab at it right now, lol. going through all the gump stuff. they got a good chunk of stuff already done on uodev. after i've done all i can do with that then i'll have to try to fill in the blanks.

edit:
any idea where ConfirmTransferPetGump and HouseplacementCatagoryGump are?? i've been searching around but haven't had any luck yet. :(

Radwen

Wanderer
jeremymcc;771925 said:

The guy is from Brazil. So it's most likely Portuguese.

SiENcE

Sorceror
UOKR is not 3d! But let me explain it.

They dont use Mesh or Vertex Data for Chars or Static Tiles! Of couse their terrain is pseudo 3d, but also the 2D Client uses this pseudo 3d.

The only thing they use is the 3d accelerated Graohic Surface Direct3d.

Spells and Effect are particles, but this has nothing todo with using 3d.

XenoNeo

Sorceror
Wow for one, why are we arguing over 2D and 3D understandment? Anyways I've been in college getting my Computer Programming Degree in C/C++ and working towards my four year as Computer Science. I will let you know what I figure out myself.. I am a bit curious to see myself.

Zippy

Razor Creator
It's not the C++ that is the problem with creating something like Razor. I think he would have much more trouble with the assembly language.

arul

Sorceror
Hand writing assembly ain't that bad, reversing the client software is.

And no, I really don't believe that even very good C# programmer could possibly pick up on C++ in one month. I mean, that he might be able to write as quality software in C++ as in C#.

Radwen

Wanderer
arul;772129 said:
Hand writing assembly ain't that bad, reversing the client software is.

And no, I really don't believe that even very good C# programmer could possibly pick up on C++ in one month. I mean, that he might be able to write as quality software in C++ as in C#.
You have to understand the context better ;). A beginner in C# can learn as much in C++ very easily.

arul

Sorceror
Radwen;772139 said:
You have to understand the context better ;). A beginner in C# can learn as much in C++ very easily.

That rule doesn't apply specificaly to C# but to any programming language, you only need to start thinking as a programmer. C# is more like Java than C++.
In non-managed environment its soo much easier to shoot yourself in the foot, so you either need more time to produce a good code or more experience, respectively.

alexannder;771265 said:
It is like this. You have two cars. One car without airco and a newer car with airco. Wich car do you prefer to Ride on a summerday. :)

Whatever the driver of the car prefers. Why would you want everyone to migrate to KR? Why not just do it yourself and let others choose what they want?

Radwen

Wanderer
arul;772263 said:
That rule doesn't apply specificaly to C# but to any programming language, you only need to start thinking as a programmer. C# is more like Java than C++.
In non-managed environment its soo much easier to shoot yourself in the foot, so you either need more time to produce a good code or more experience, respectively.
You still didn't understand lol. Read the first sentence again.

jeremymcc

Sorceror
lol, i agree with anti basic. not everyone wants KR, period, so don't push it on them. thats just wrong. but i think having the optional support for those who do want it would be great too. i know the runuo team wants no part in it, which is fine, but i think a fork with support would be great. i've been taking a stab at it and got a bunch of the gumps working. if i get to a point where i think its worth a woot i'll be sure to share unless someone beats me to it. :)

Arkryal

Wanderer
From what I've gathered here, Most people want KR because of the animation quality. They used essentially the same technique that was used in Diablo II. They make full 3D renders, pose them and form sprite animation from the resulting still renders (fake 3d). Most of the mobile creatures have the same movements and positions (however the new ones have more frames of movement it seems, and programmable idle states), so could they not be captured from the new client and ported over to the old. Why not just completely fork the graphics development from what Origin is doing and build our own graphic libraries. I understand this doesn't address lighting and shadows or any of the other fundamental changes in the client, but a simple graphics patch could do wonders for the game.

I'll admit, I know basically nothing about the anatomy of the existing mul files beyond simple patches, nor how they are invoked by the client, but it seems in theory quite possible. Aside from the one obvious objection (the staggering amount of work involved), is there any reason a complete custom graphic library replacement could not be done?

I ask for 2 reasons. One: I am working on several scripts that would benefit from several completely new mobiles rather than using or modifying the existing ones, and I'm capable of making them if they can be added into the game. Two: it means that captures could be taken (either directly or manually through screen caps) of the new art and inserted into the old client.

I 'm not a fan of moving to KR, but if there was a way to get even moderately better graphic quality and throw it into the original 1997 version (or at least pre-release 16) of the game, It would be a huge success.

minion552

Wanderer
new client

Not sure if anyone has taken a deeper look into the new client but there will be some problems converting Runuo or any emu for that matter to work here is why. (by the way I am new here but I have a degree from UAT in game Dev and design).

The new client has a new encryption on it like the one used in World of Warcraft where it looks for your serial number that is Registered to the cd key in your Reg files. There are ways around it hence the free wow servers you can play on although unlike this fine emulator it takes them months to patch a client to get it to work with a 8 month old system.

Can Runuo, KR and razor all work together I think so but it would be months before a stable system was running and a client could be made to run it. I would love to run a KR shard but I do not see that happening anytime soon PlayStation 4 might be out by then :(

FingersMcSteal

Sorceror
I'd have to say this...

UO is... well UO... and the KR client just doesn't give it that feel to what UO should be. Personally i still think the KR client was one of the biggest nails in the coffin of UO as far as EA and the game goes, but some like it.

I was messing around this week and downloaded 2 things... KR to see what it's like these days... Iris 2 to see the progress on that, and of course i still use the 2D.

I'd say spend 5-10 minutes playing round with each of those and see what you think, you'll maybe find (like i did) that UO is... UO and should just stay the way it is... 2D client for me i'm afraid. I think if EA wanted to make the game head into the 3D market like so many other newer games out there they should have gone the Iris way, but thats just me.

HellRazor

Knight
I never understood what some people have against isometric sprite-based engines. Some sprite based engines look absolutely fantastic, depending on the quality of the art. And at the same time, some 3D engines look incredibly crappy, depending on the quality of the engine and models used. So "3D" doesn't automatically make an engine superior in my opinion.

The look and feel of KR is really alien to me. I'm not even sure I would like it in a totally seperate game, let alone in UO. It's just kind of "off" to me.