RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anxiety

Joeku

Lord
Anxiety

Had my first anxiety attack last night. It really sucks. I never even knew that it could cause physical pain.

Anyone else have these?

jhs59

Sorceror
I have never had problems with anxiety.. I am just curious if you can describe what it feels like.

Sorry I can't help you out and I hope I'm not being rude by asking you to humor my curiosity..

Joeku

Lord
Well, when you're really stressed out or worried about something really important, you get this really tight feeling in your chest and it gets harder to breathe.

I've had that before, mildly, but this was 10x worse. And there was this horrible stomach pain that wouldn't go away. I skipped two meals and slept for 15 hours straight...

And I still have that pain, though it's ebbing now.

jhs59

Sorceror
Similar to the feeling in your chest when you are very nervous only amplified to the point of pain? The stomach pain.. is it an acid thing or something in the muscles?

Joeku

Lord
jhs59;642187 said:
Similar to the feeling in your chest when you are very nervous only amplified to the point of pain?
Sorta...
The stomach pain.. is it an acid thing or something in the muscles?
Muscles. At first they were contracting so hard I thought I'd puke, then it was just like a 30-second throb.

I'm under alot of stress and anxiety cuz of school. I don't broadcast it on a forum though, because I have balls. instead i bitch about it constantly to people one on one

Joeku

Lord
Just trying to get a feel of how common this is.

My brother has really bad anxiety problems and I really discounted it until now. I didn't realize what it's like...

Joeku;642182 said:
Had my first anxiety attack last night. It really sucks. I never even knew that it could cause physical pain.

Anyone else have these?

Slow production on the shard plz. Relax a bit. :)

Joeku

Lord
Storm33229;642257 said:
Ah, but that wasn't the point. The point was to lessen the stress as a whole.
If anything, working on the shard is helping - distracts me from the real world :rolleyes:

FireSoul

Wanderer
Joeku

I went through about 10 years of severe anxiety attacks. At their peak I was having anywhere from three to eleven of them a day. And yes, they can hurt, I would convulse and pass out during the worst of them. I was put on Xanax, which helped somewhat. Don't be confused by the seeming randomness of the attacks. The danger is that it's easy to develop aversions (if you have one at a mall you might start to avoid public places). What you are doing/where you are at the time of onset is not usually what triggers the attack. The physical reason why it's happening is that your brain is triggering your *flight or fight* response. So blood flow is decreased to the extremities (that tingly feeling). Digestion is halted (nausea/rumbling bowel). Your heart rate will increase due the adrenaline being pumped through your system. This can also cause shaking and a feeling of being either hot or cold (or both). None of these things will kill you, despite how it might feel at the time. Most attacks will pass in about 20 mins of onset. What I was taught was to go someplace quiet, sit and breath slowly and deeply until it passes. This does work. Eventually, I suppose because I knew what was actually happening and it had happened enough that I knew I would recover, the attacks stopped. Nearly as suddenly as they started. I've not had one for years now. Mine were related (so I was told) to post traumatic stress. Though they started years after the trauma. Also I'm not neuro-typical (meaning my brain is not wired normally, nor is it chemically normal). I have Asperger's, but to my knowledge that's not what in itself, could cause the attacks. Stress played a far greater factor. See your Doctor, there are very effective medications and treatments available.

I've found the best way to reduce stress is to kill other people. Schools and hospitals are a great place to start.... A more permantn solution is to kill yourself tho.. and I'm sure alot of people here would like that :p