RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anxiety

Joeku

Lord
FireSoul;642276 said:
Joeku

I went through about 10 years of severe anxiety attacks. At their peak I was having anywhere from three to eleven of them a day. And yes, they can hurt, I would convulse and pass out during the worst of them. I was put on Xanax, which helped somewhat. Don't be confused by the seeming randomness of the attacks. The danger is that it's easy to develop aversions (if you have one at a mall you might start to avoid public places). What you are doing/where you are at the time of onset is not usually what triggers the attack. The physical reason why it's happening is that your brain is triggering your *flight or fight* response. So blood flow is decreased to the extremities (that tingly feeling). Digestion is halted (nausea/rumbling bowel). Your heart rate will increase due the adrenaline being pumped through your system. This can also cause shaking and a feeling of being either hot or cold (or both). None of these things will kill you, despite how it might feel at the time. Most attacks will pass in about 20 mins of onset. What I was taught was to go someplace quiet, sit and breath slowly and deeply until it passes. This does work. Eventually, I suppose because I knew what was actually happening and it had happened enough that I knew I would recover, the attacks stopped. Nearly as suddenly as they started. I've not had one for years now. Mine were related (so I was told) to post traumatic stress. Though they started years after the trauma. Also I'm not neuro-typical (meaning my brain is not wired normally, nor is it chemically normal). I have Asperger's, but to my knowledge that's not what in itself, could cause the attacks. Stress played a far greater factor. See your Doctor, there are very effective medications and treatments available.
Thanks, that helped more than you know :)

I don't think I have any sort of recurring problem, just something big happened yesterday and I'm pretty sure that's what caused it. Hopefully won't happen again any time soon, so I hopefully won't have to see the doc.

If it does though, I'll keep that in mind.

FireSoul

Wanderer
AB, you have far too much time on your hands, lol. Though I had to fight for my diagnosis. Docs in North America are not as familiar (or willing to recognize it) as they are in Europe. Plus I'm female, and it's far more common in males.

well, they don't want to put a teenager through the treatment and medication for anything serious... not just aspergers, but even bipolar disorder to some extent...and its really stupid.. I was technically diagnosed with just severe depression until I was 15, because they were scared to prescribe lithium at such a young age.... right now... my shrink has already told me he thinks I have it, but that he doesn't want to until hes sure... its really stupid and its only helping my suspicion that 99% of shriunks dont know what they're doing..

FireSoul

Wanderer
Well, and this is just my personal observation. But the majority of people in the psychiatric profession I've met were a bit left of center and rather full of themselves. I like the Doc I have now. At least he's willing to concede that I'm likely to know my own mind/body better than he does :D.

As for not wanting to medicate children and teens, the reason is that many anti-depressants can actually make depression worse in kids. It can also cause psychotic breaks.

Radwen

Wanderer
All of you. Except Joeku, he has nasty dreams about his sister.

Tbh, I understand anxiety, I sometimes live it, but I still think its stupid.
Makes us do stupid stuff and reason all badly.

Thus, I bitch that I'm stupid everytime I get anxious .. but since I don't want to be .. I rarely am.

Will power ftw.

Malaperth

Wanderer
and then you wake up one day and it occurs to you that you would be of infinitely more use to the universe if you would just lay down in front of a door and hold it open...

(directed at noone)