RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anxiety

Alcyone

Sorceror
I like it alot, If I was christian, that would be my theme verse. I believe it's what it's all about and the stuff that Jesus really was all about. Not this whole "let's kill everyone who doesn't agree with me", inquisition thing, that christianity turned into. Please keep it, Joeku

FireSoul

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;643237 said:
uhh... I was joking... I have a "Footprints" blanket...

I can't read that poem without tearing up...sheesh.

*addition* - But the poem that shocked me into stunned silence the first time I read it was Edgar Allen Poe's "Alone".

It just hit way too close to home.

Joeku

Lord
Well, just for future reference, I've found that keeping a journal really helps let out the stress.

Even if it's just a page a day, it helps you think more clearly and understand better what you're feeling.

After one short week I've already filled up 12 pages, and that's just writing a bit before I go to sleep.

I strongly suggest that anyone who's having a hard time with anxiety, start a journal.

FireSoul

Wanderer
Joeku;644256 said:
Well, just for future reference, I've found that keeping a journal really helps let out the stress... I strongly suggest that anyone who's having a hard time with anxiety, start a journal.

I've finally started writing again. I have a blog (*pointed look at AB, Manu and TMS*), and you're right it is useful.

siran

Sorceror
Joeku;643155 said:
Do ulcers make you lose your appetite?

I had to force myself to eat lunch today, and even then I couldn't eat much.

Your symptoms fit completely with anxiety. Last July I couldn't eat for 3 days after my daughter was seriously injured in an automobile accident. Emotional distress will often cause physical symptoms, and can negatively affect your health.

How to handle emotional distress? I suppose what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Various means of occupying yourself may help, such as keeping a journal, taking walks, engaging in a sport, etc. For me, I turned to work and have uncharacteristically become a workaholic the last few months. It doesn't solve the original problem, but it takes one's mind off of it at least enough to get by.

Psychologists talk about processing through. Which means whatever helps you process the situation is what you should do. That could mean talking about it (incessantly), reliving every detail, investigating everything related, etc. I've probably done a little of each of those, and it does help, even if it annoys others or makes them think you've gone off the deep end. But gradually for me at least it helps me to come to terms with the situation.

It's healthy to do all of the above; your brain is screaming in pain and for attention. The worst thing would be to bottle it up, since it will only break out unpredictably and perhaps disastrously later.

FireSoul

Wanderer
Siran, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I spent one very terrifying night in the ER with my son, not knowing if he was going to make it (He did :D). It's not something I'd wish on anyone.

And yes coping really is an individual thing. I'm an artist, I've been painting/sketching/sculpting since I was 5. It got me through my childhood, and it's still how I express the most intense things I feel.

But I like writing as well. Which brings me to TSM... No I did not do the coding, lol.

Joeku

Lord
siran;644395 said:
Your symptoms fit completely with anxiety. Last July I couldn't eat for 3 days after my daughter was seriously injured in an automobile accident. Emotional distress will often cause physical symptoms, and can negatively affect your health.

How to handle emotional distress? I suppose what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Various means of occupying yourself may help, such as keeping a journal, taking walks, engaging in a sport, etc. For me, I turned to work and have uncharacteristically become a workaholic the last few months. It doesn't solve the original problem, but it takes one's mind off of it at least enough to get by.

Psychologists talk about processing through. Which means whatever helps you process the situation is what you should do. That could mean talking about it (incessantly), reliving every detail, investigating everything related, etc. I've probably done a little of each of those, and it does help, even if it annoys others or makes them think you've gone off the deep end. But gradually for me at least it helps me to come to terms with the situation.

It's healthy to do all of the above; your brain is screaming in pain and for attention. The worst thing would be to bottle it up, since it will only break out unpredictably and perhaps disastrously later.
Thank you :)