RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Access Router!!!

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Can't Access Router!!!

Can anyone help with this problem? First off I am using a private IP with DSL connection, so obviously I am behind a router. But, the thing is, when I try to connect to my Local IP, which begins with a 192, it just comes up with the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. And I even tried to connect to my outisde Router.. and that seemed to work. But it had asked me fore a password, and I tried both admin and 1234... and I'm guessing neither work because it wouldn't let me in. I'm a little lost here, can anyone help out?
~Thanks

Thraxus

Sorceror
If you want to connect to your router using an internal IP, you need to use the router's internal IP, not yours. If your computer has a Default Gateway specified in its IP configuration, that's probably the router's internal IP. If you use the "ipconfig" command from a command prompt, you'll get something that looks like this.
Code:
C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        [COLOR=Red]Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1[/COLOR]
As far as a password is concerned, it depends on the router. Some will use admin for both the username and password defaults. Others will be admin & 1234. Some will be just admin and a blank password. Or it could be something completely different. Check your router's documentation.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Alright.. I found the default gateway.. but the problem is, I still can't access the router.. where can I check my router's documenetation?

Thraxus

Sorceror
Are we talking about a router provided by your Internet Service Provider, or one your purchased yourself. Obviously if you purchased it yourself, you should have the documentation unless you threw it out. If your ISP left it with you, its possible they don't allow you access inside the router, and you might have to call them to request any configuration you need done.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Well, all I know is that I orderd DSL from a Sprint Service Provider, the router was provided. But I still had to purchase it.. how ridiculous.. lol. And as far as I know they didn't leave any documentation... So, now what do I do?? I can't exactly call them up and tell them I need to set ports for access to an illegal game server... lol..

Thraxus

Sorceror
Lots of ISPs will make you buy the router but still lock you out of its configuration. Its their way of cutting down on technical support calls from customers who mess with things they don't understand. ;)

Besides, they don't need to know what kind of server you're running. That's none of their business. You could tell them you're running PC Anywhere or something like that and their support staff shouldn't know any better. Just tell them you're using a non-standard port for a remote access application for security reasons.

Just tell them you need port 2593 (or whatever port you're going to use for your shard) forwarded to the internal IP address of the computer that RunUO will be running on. You'll also want to make certain that computer isn't obtaining its IP dynamically, so ask them to help you specify a static private IP address to your server. If the tech support staff are competent, they'll know this is necessary and walk you through it without needing any prompting from you.

Phantom

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
Alright.. I found the default gateway.. but the problem is, I still can't access the router.. where can I check my router's documenetation?

Depends on the make and model.

I would say in general you would check the documentation you recieved with your router. If you don't have any documentation you could try resetting the router which would set it back to default settings.

This would allow you to try the common default username/password combinations

If you don't want to do this, call the company that manufactored the router, and ask them for support.

If your router is not longer made, then you will have to figure it out yourself, as support for it most likely ended 1-2 years after it went off the market.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
ok.. thanks alot... much appreciated.....if i have any more problems i'll either pm you or post on here again.. thanks..

Phantom

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
ok.. thanks alot... much appreciated.....if i have any more problems i'll either pm you or post on here again.. thanks..

Just post in the thread...Since thats the point of this thread...

This comment was made so you would continue to use this thread, and not take it to a private convseration so people who later find this thread, don't bring it up asking for the solution.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Honestly phantom.. you don't need to post any snide comments in my threads.. you're only looking for trouble.. now i kindly asked you to leave me alone.. i won't ask again....

**To anyone else viewing this thread, i wanted to apologzie for the way phantom decided to spend his time spamming this thread... this thread is for on-topic router questions, not for snide comments towards people you dislike**

~Thanks

Thraxus

Sorceror
Care to point out where Phantom made a snide remark? He's posted twice in this thread. The first post was completely on-topic and helpful. The second one was making a perfectly valid point, since you SHOULD continue to post in the thread rather than PM'ing people for further help.

You just "spammed" your own thread and ended up looking like an ass in the process. If you don't like what Phantom says, there's an ignore feature in your User Control Panel here on the forums. Feel free to use it.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Phantom said:
Since thats the point of this thread...

In my opinion, and the last time I checked, that is considered a sarcastic remark, an attempt to make me look like an ass. If you really don't see that, I'm sure you need to double-check the meaning of snide. I'm not here to argue, but Phantom and I do have our differences, but I prefer for him to only post in an attempt to help not to make comments like that. I feel he should keep his comments to himself. Yes, I am giving him credit that his first post was helpful and on-topic, as much as I don't want to. But if you're not supposed to PM someone for help to make it much easier.. then what is it there for? Care to explain that? When I checked forum rules it never said it was a crime to PM someone for help, why continue posting in a thread non-stop when it may be one sentence posts? And why would they allow you to add your ICQ number or AOL s/n?? Not unless you expect it to be used for setting up a date with a fellow forum member. I'm sorry, but thats just the way I see it, you can take it or leave it. I have a forum of my own, and I refuse to let people come into it making comments like that, my staff gives warnings, and if you don't abide to them, your sorry @$$ is out the door. Anyways, I'm tired of this little banter, if you want to argue with me, please don't do it on this thread, I'd prefer for people to not have to read a soap opera just to find out info about a friggin router.
~Thanks

Thistle

Wanderer
I too didn't notice any snide remarks made by Phantom and honestly, I'm getting tired of seeing people bashing him. grrrrr

If OrbitStorm doesn't want certain people replying to his/her threads maybe he/she should just go post elsewhere?

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Thistle said:
If OrbitStorm doesn't want certain people replying to his/her threads maybe he/she should just go post elsewhere?

Alright, first off, I am a male. Secondly, these forums are open to anyone and everyone.. so if I don't like a person's post, I feel I have a right to kindly ask them to stop, I feel if phantom can post an AOL conversation between us in a thread and claim I'm flaming him (which by the way, if you didn't know, what happens outside this forum has no effect inside this forum what-so-ever) then I feel I have every right to ask him to either post in a friendly manner or not to post at all. It sure beats me coming in here and telling him to F*** off or something now don't you think? I'm being perfectly calm, and in all honesty, Phantom is a really decent guy. Its just when he tried to tell me to do something with my system that I already tried and knew that it didn't work, it got me slightly aggravated. I don't appreciate somebody telling me I'm wrong about something when I know for a fact and have the proof that I'm not wrong. I'm not always right, but there are some rare situations that I can be.
~Thanks

Thraxus

Sorceror
Phantom said:
Just post in the thread...Since thats the point of this thread...
There's nothing wrong with this, and its VERY sound advice. Continuing to post in the thread is the best course of action. If you had taken this into private messaging with me, then all of a sudden you've gone from having a pool of 43,628 people that might be able to contribute to solving your issue, to 1 single solitary member.

If we're PM'ing each other back and forth to solve your problem, there's no possibility of anyone catching any mistakes I make, because its just you and me. It makes more sense to continue using the thread. I would have told you so myself if Phantom hadn't beaten me to it. Would you have asked me to stay out of your topics too? Or is it only a snide remark because it came from Phantom?

Phantom

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
Alright, first off, I am a male. Secondly, these forums are open to anyone and everyone.. so if I don't like a person's post, I feel I have a right to kindly ask them to stop, I feel if phantom can post an AOL conversation between us in a thread and claim I'm flaming him (which by the way, if you didn't know, what happens outside this forum has no effect inside this forum what-so-ever) then I feel I have every right to ask him to either post in a friendly manner or not to post at all. It sure beats me coming in here and telling him to F*** off or something now don't you think? I'm being perfectly calm, and in all honesty, Phantom is a really decent guy. Its just when he tried to tell me to do something with my system that I already tried and knew that it didn't work, it got me slightly aggravated. I don't appreciate somebody telling me I'm wrong about something when I know for a fact and have the proof that I'm not wrong. I'm not always right, but there are some rare situations that I can be.
~Thanks

If you don't want my help, don't take it, you can't refuse it and accept it at the sametime.

My conversations in my aim conversation are not private, I gave you no such conclusion that they were, and I will continue to attempt to give you advice and answer any question you might have.

I made that comment, because I thought perhaps you would send me a private message, and it was an attempt to tell you to continue the discussion in this thread.

I find people are able to flame me without any marks on their reputation, if I answer questions or even reply to their contacts in private. You also did infact flame me in aim, and then you took it to a thread and made such disagreement public. I posted the conversation in attempt to allow everyone to see the conversation.

If my comment was taken in the wrong way, then I apoigise but this is a support forum, and this is a thread so i feel people should use those resources first.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Ok, the thing being Thraxus, is the fact that you seem to know a good bit about what you are talking about.. I'm certainly not a know-it-all... and should you have made any mistakes I could have simply posted in the thread again.. it wouldn't be that hard to catch a mistake because I would certainly notice if something went wrong along the way. And in my opinion, I feel because of the fact that Phantom has a dislike for me, as do I him, he is only coming into this thread to antagonize me. I asked him in another thread before to kindly not post in any of my threads, but considering he did so in a kindly manner, with the FIRST post, I didn't mind. I don't think you would like somebody coming into a thread of yours, that you obviously have distaste for, and have them post in your thread in an attempt to make you look like an ass, just for making the SUGGESTION to have a more direct conversation.... Wouldn't it be much easier to ask a question or two and get the replies in a minute or two through PM or instant messenging?? Rather than wait 10-15 mins not knowing what to do.. Yes some would call this impatience, I call it common sense and logic.
Phantom..I just saw your post after I posted this.. this piece is the only thing edited... but the thing is I don't have a problem with your advice, I am greatful for it. But, I never had the intention of PMing you.. it was plainly clear as to who I intended that post to, and that was Thraxus. I was not making our disagreement public either in that thread, it was to simply ask you not to post in any of my threads unless you felt you could do it without telling me I'm wrong in everything. If you spend all your time saying someone is wrong, where is the advice? And thats basically what happened. I choose not to place you on the ignore list simply because I'm not that cruel, it doesn't have much effect upon you, but it makes it known that you are well-liked by me. And so in other words, I appreciate your advice and thank you for it, but I don't want you trying to make me look like an ass again. And I am sorry too if you took the last thread as an attempt to flame you, that was a far cry from my intentions.. And in this thread, if by ANY chance... I misunderstood you, I'm sorry again, but I am very suspicious and wary of your nature with me. When someone posts ignorant remarks on a thread of mine and edits it 4 times in an effort to make it clean, I become suspicious. (And I'm talking about our previous thread, by the way.)
~Thanks

Thraxus

Sorceror
Its more efficient to have the entire effort to solve your issue documented within the thread, instead of having some of it posted here and some of it languishing in various people's PM inboxes or instant messaging logs.

I don't claim to know what you're thinking, but it seems like you're expecting everything that comes from Phantom to be negative, because of your past experiences with him, and are reading more into his posts than is actually there. He's trying to help, and you're not giving him a chance to.

Edited: Like Phantom, I don't respond to PM's asking for help, so his advice was sound. Any people that thought Phantom made you look like an ass with that tiny comment are the ones you need to ignore.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Thraxus.. re-read my last post... and maybe you are right about me reading into his posts too much. I am sorry if I do, but when someone talks to me like an ass, and treats me like one, I tend not to think very highly of that person and become suspicious of them. It would be the same in any school or college, a teacher tells you you're a moron and attempts to humiliate you in front of people; well what would be the first you do? You go to your friends or another teacher for help because you're distrustful of that teacher. I'm only trying to explain this, but I guess its not working.... lol.

Phantom

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
Ok, the thing being Thraxus, is the fact that you seem to know a good bit about what you are talking about.. I'm certainly not a know-it-all... and should you have made any mistakes I could have simply posted in the thread again.. it wouldn't be that hard to catch a mistake because I would certainly notice if something went wrong along the way. And in my opinion, I feel because of the fact that Phantom has a dislike for me, as do I him, he is only coming into this thread to antagonize me. I asked him in another thread before to kindly not post in any of my threads, but considering he did so in a kindly manner, with the FIRST post, I didn't mind. I don't think you would like somebody coming into a thread of yours, that you obviously have distaste for, and have them post in your thread in an attempt to make you look like an ass, just for making the SUGGESTION to have a more direct conversation.... Wouldn't it be much easier to ask a question or two and get the replies in a minute or two through PM or instant messenging?? Rather than wait 10-15 mins not knowing what to do.. Yes some would call this impatience, I call it common sense and logic.

I don't make personal connections on this forum. So the fact you think I dislike you, is exactly that, your view on the situation. Clearly your view is not fact, in the case of the connection or disconnection we might have, therefore you should adjust your attitude toward me.

Saying the fact you would have to wait 10-15 minutes for a reply is flawed, considering I am still on my computer working on my projects, and refreshing the "new topics' page every 5 minutes.

Inregards to telling you something you already knew wouldn't work. I cannot argue with results, but it also doesn't meant I wasn't correct in my advice.