RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Access Router!!!

Phantom

Knight
When someone posts ignorant remarks on a thread of mine and edits it 4 times in an effort to make it clean, I become suspicious. (And I'm talking about our previous thread, by the way.)

Don't read into anything into me editing my posts. Its me with my personality that has to make the post say exactly what I want to get to the user in question.

I am also not the one making you look like an ass, the way your replying and responding to people and your general attitude is going that. People blame alot on me, I try not to blame users for my past problems or even my current problems, if I do blame users I do that in private between personal friends of mine I have made over the last 2 years.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Phantom said:
So the fact you think I dislike you, is exactly that, your view on the situation. Clearly your view is not fact, in the case of the connection or disconnection we might have, therefore you should adjust your attitude toward me.

Alright, I'll address these seperately.. first off... it was plainly obvious you did not like me, read the AOL conversation, and maybe I stepped over the line by calling you an @$$hole on AOL.. but I was aggravated with you and frusturated with my server.

Phantom said:
Saying the fact you would have to wait 10-15 minutes for a reply is flawed, considering I am still on my computer working on my projects, and refreshing the "new topics' page every 5 minutes.

Alright, secondly, some people do actually refresh every 5 minutes, but I'm not here to make people continously post all day back and forth one or two sentences at a time. I feel that if I'd be talking to you, or Thraxus, that should we come to a point where neither of us knows an answer, well, you post that on the thread.. Whats so wrong with that?

Phantom said:
In regards to telling you something you already knew wouldn't work. I cannot argue with results, but it also doesn't meant I wasn't correct in my advice.

You may have been correct in your advice... but were you so correct to continuously tell me over and over that I'm wrong and that if I don't just do what you tell me, not to ask for your help again? I don't think so, no offense.

Phantom

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
Thraxus.. re-read my last post... and maybe you are right about me reading into his posts too much. I am sorry if I do, but when someone talks to me like an ass, and treats me like one, I tend not to think very highly of that person and become suspicious of them. It would be the same in any school or college, a teacher tells you you're a moron and attempts to humiliate you in front of people; well what would be the first you do? You go to your friends or another teacher for help because you're distrustful of that teacher. I'm only trying to explain this, but I guess its not working.... lol.

I have never called you a name, I have told you are wrong and explained why, if you think this is treating you like an ass thats a personal problem. I have never called you dumb, I have never called you an ass, I have always given you exactly what you wanted help. Sometimes clearly this means saying your wrong, and not being able to explain it, in a way you are able to understand.

I do not make personal connections to people that find flaws in my personality. I allow people to talk to me, as long as they don't take it beyond a level I can accept, that level is most likely the level I report the attack to a moderator.

Phantom

Knight
You may have been correct in your advice... but were you so correct to continuously tell me over and over that I'm wrong and that if I don't just do what you tell me, not to ask for your help again? I don't think so, no offense.

After trying to explain the solution to you, I think twice, I just felt like I couldn't get through to you. So you know, most of the time I tell people to go eat a flaming pile of you know what when they contact me on aim, I made an exception and tried to answer you.

Clearly I regret that choice, because any chance for you to accept my advice as being partial, isn't possible.

Thraxus

Sorceror
I'm no moderator, but I think its probably best if we just set this discussion aside and get back on-topic. Can you tell us the manufacturer and model of router you have?

Phantom

Knight
Thraxus said:
I'm no moderator, but I think its probably best if we just set this discussion aside and get back on-topic. Can you tell us the manufacturer and model of router you have?

I think that would be a good idea...

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Thraxus said:
I'm no moderator, but I think its probably best if we just set this discussion aside and get back on-topic.

Good idea, yes... thats what I tried to say about an hour ago.... lol :)

Thraxus said:
Can you tell us the manufacturer and model of router you have?

Its a Sprint 645 series.... Is that of any help? :confused:

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
But like Thorax said.. what exactly do I do should they tell me its in lock-down and I'm not allowed to access it... can they actually configure it for me... well, the real question is... would they?

Thraxus

Sorceror
Depends on the ISP. Some will say "tough luck", others will configure it remotely for you, and yet others will try and walk you through the process. If you can find out what the default user/pass is supposed to be for the router, and confirm that it doesn't work, that likely means the ISP changed it before giving it to you, so that only they could make changes to its configuration.

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Alright... well.. I deal with Sprint and Earthlink... so I'm not too certain how they will react... but can you tell me just what exactly I need to give them in order for them to help me configure it... if they do that is..

stormwolff

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
But like Thorax said.. what exactly do I do should they tell me its in lock-down and I'm not allowed to access it... can they actually configure it for me... well, the real question is... would they?

If it is simply a router call them and tell them you want to play a game on the internet but your router isn't letting outside connections through to your pc. If they are your router manufacturere they will tell you how to forward the ports should it be possible in the hardware.

If it is something that came with your cable/dsl service and you are calling your service provider you better check your terms of service before asking about hosting something. You might be able to get away with the I want to play a game but can't establish a connection due to your hardware restrictions but if they catch wind of you hosting something when you are not allowed to it may stir up some trouble. More than likely youll get some low level tech who will help you if it is possible.

stormwolff

Knight
Orbit Storm said:
Alright... well.. I deal with Sprint and Earthlink... so I'm not too certain how they will react... but can you tell me just what exactly I need to give them in order for them to help me configure it... if they do that is..

All you should have to tell them is that you are trying to forward a port through your router to a specific pc on your network and would like them to explain that process. You don't have to tell them what game or really why you need the port forwarded but if they ask say your trying to play an internet game which won't work until you can forward port 2593.

Phantom

Knight
Orbit Storm said:

Tell them you need to login to your router, ask them for the password to do this, if they can't do it tell them to forward port 2593 to your local network address.

If they ask why, say its because your a customer...

Thraxus

Sorceror
It might all be a moot point if he's got a Zyxel 645 there, because the Zyxel 645 isn't a router. It's a ADSL bridge. :p

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Ok guys... thanks alot... I'm looking for my "Terms of Service" book now.. lol... trying to find any numbers and any rules I need to know... I'll keep ya posted.. will be calling here directly... The main reason for all this is I am following instructions on how to set up my server for others connections.. well, i mean other players... its done, completed and ready, but i can't seem to find the instructions on what to do next... lol.. i am completely new to this after all..

Thraxus

Sorceror
Thraxus said:
Okay, I just googled Sprint 645.. by any chance does it say Zyxel anywhere on it? Look carefully.
*waiting for an answer* :confused:

Edit:
Phantom said:
I wouldn't know, he never said what it was :rolleyes:
He said Sprint 645, but I doubt Sprint manufactures their own equipment. Like most others ISPs, they just slap a branded label on it and ship it out. Google search for "sprint 645" almost exclusively turns up references to the Zyxel 645, which I am quite familiar with thanks to my time working as a technical support agent.

Phantom

Knight
Thraxus said:
*waiting for an answer* :confused:

Edit:

He said Sprint 645, but I doubt Sprint manufactures their own equipment. Like most others ISPs, they just slap a branded label on it and ship it out. Google search for "sprint 645" almost exclusively turns up references to the Zyxel 645, which I am quite familiar with thanks to my time working as a technical support agent.

I was speaking of the gateway :)

If I knew the address of it, I could tell you if it was a bridge or a router.

Considering there is a different, we could safe him from trying to call support person who reads out of a big <insert color here> book.

* <color> determins what type of question it is...