RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas must be Banned

Slayer706 said:
Here is the deal. Back then, almost everyone was Christian (or said they were) because you were killed/hated if you weren't. They wanted the masses to be able to relate to the document of the new government. Thus, they included God in it. Maybe back then they did not believe in religious toleration....

My history professor would be astounded by this paragraph.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Believe what ever you want. Here is my point though:
This country has become more tolerant of other people since the 18th century, and our government's policies should reflect that.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Why? Because the majority thinks a certain way?

The KKK was once much larger than it is today. Should the government's have reflected the KKK had it been a majority? No.

The government was never created to be an institution for the majority.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Ok... The government is all about seperation of church and state. Should they change that because the majority of Americans are Christian?

Abolitionists were the majoirty in the 1860s. Look what happened there.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706 said:
Ok... The government is all about seperation of church and state. Should they change that because the majority of Americans are Christian?

I'm not arguing that. What I am arguing is that special provisions for race, religion (or lack of), etc., have no place in government. You can't have 'anti-discrimination' without some form of discrimination. Every race and group have just as much as place in this country, and cutting one down to let others grow goes against a policy of equality.

Abolitionists were the majoirty in the 1860's. Look what happened there.

Republicans were/are the majority until 2007. Look what happened there.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Exactly. No group should be held above others. So that means government buildings/public buildings that have Christmas Trees also need to have symbols of other religious holidays too, or none at all?

WarAngel

Wanderer
They should have a Christmas Tree, and nothing else, because Christmas is no longer simply a Christian holiday. It's an excuse to take off work/school and be lazy while getting free shit.

WarAngel said:
They should have a Christmas Tree, and nothing else, because Christmas is no longer simply a Christian holiday. It's an excuse to take off work/school and be lazy while getting free shit.
You forgot the Victoria's Secret Winter Fashion Show

WarAngel said:

Its not like there are crosses and bibles and some holy light shining on the trees in public places..Lmao

Next thing you know people will want to get rid of Santa next..LOL

WarAngel

Wanderer
DreamCatcher said:
Its not like there are crosses and bibles and some holy light shining on the trees in public places..Lmao

I can see where they are coming from because the holiday did begin with religious connotations, but I think that the Christmas season can be celebrated without the religious connections for those who don't believe. A lot of decorations like Christmas trees and figures, like Santa, have no religious value.

WarAngel said:
I can see where they are coming from because the holiday did begin with religious connotations, but I think that the Christmas season can be celebrated without the religious connections for those who don't believe. A lot of decorations like Christmas trees and figures, like Santa, have no religious value.

I agree completely...Everyone veiws Christmas differently...There are some with the beliefs of Jesus and there are just some with Santa....Its however you want to celebrate it...What hit a nerve with me is they actually took down the tree because someone was upset...Now if it had Bibles and Crosses on it yeah I can see why it may offend someone, but its just a tree with lights, etc...They did it to bitch is my guess...

I'm Atheist, I plan on putting up a tree for my kids. Actually I'll go all out have the train going round it, toys everywhere etc.

Anti-Basic said:
I'm Atheist, I plan on putting up a tree for my kids. Actually I'll go all out have the train going round it, toys everywhere etc.

And you know its really about the kids anyway...To see how much fun they have to put up a tree and decorate and put lights up outside...

We just went to look at Christmas lights tonight..They had so much fun..

And you know its really about the kids anyway...To see how much fun they have to put up a tree and decorate and put lights up outside...
I still say its the Victoria's Secret Winter Fashion Show...

Johabius

Knight
DreamCatcher said:
That's because Santa is an anagram of Satan...and tulsa is an anagram of "a slut"

I'm so ashamed of myself right now for saying those things:p