RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission Poll: Automated PvP

Popularity?

• I don't think it will take off, but I'm not certain, go for it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think it will take off, but I'm not certain, don't waste your time.

• Don't bother, you'll just be wasting your time.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vorspire

Knight
I recently received a commission for a system that mimics World of Warcraft's Battlegrounds system, for those of you who don't or haven't played WoW, it is simply a fully automated system where the Player may chose to queue for a battle in a list of different scenarios that are available.

The proposed system will include these main features:

*Completely drag & drop.
*Uses own central database system so saving is done in a separate directory to World saves.
*Players have profiles that store their statistics for the battles.
*Batles are fully customizable using an Admin UI and an interface VERY similar to Custom Regions In A Box
*Battles can be created simply by deriving from the standard Battle base class, all custom battle classes are loaded into a central database at RunTime
*Full XML logging in real-time for everything, log text, errors, player profiles and entire battles.
*100% configurable in-game using the standard PropertiesGump.
*100% crash-proof, even database files can be restored by the system automatically if corruption is detected.
*Multiple configuration profiles which can be saved and loaded in real-time by changing the name of the config file via the in-game configuration menu.
*Much more...

I want to run a poll on popularity for a system like this, since it hasn't been accomplished in this way.
There is currently, to my knowledge, no FULLY automated PvP System available for RunUO that requires NO distro edits, but I could be wrong.

Thanks all.

BBraamse

Sorceror
I am 100% sure this system will be an instant hit. Thanks for sharing with us and I hope to see the system in the near future. It sounds AMAZING!

Cheers

Vorspire

Knight
Thanks, I will release the system with a basic scenario or two, but it will be up to others to add more, shouldn't be too hard though, as easy as making an item script in some cases :)

This attached image is the first design of the proposed admin UI, a single gump handling 2 panels with separate lists and pages.

Attachments

• AutoPvPAdminUI.jpg
    AutoPvPAdminUI.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 153

Vorspire

Knight
Thanks Jeff, but I think you'll understand when I say I prefer my own code, from scratch, so it's pure and I can understand and support it better.
I might be re-inventing the wheel, but it's worth it.
This will be a paid commission and I will be supplying the client shard with a completely private custom class of a scenario designed for their shard only, but I want to share the engine that makes the automation possible, with the community.

Jeff

Lord
Thanks Jeff, but I think you'll understand when I say I prefer my own code, from scratch, so it's pure and I can understand and support it better.
I might be re-inventing the wheel, but it's worth it.
This will be a paid commission and I will be supplying the client shard with a completely private custom class of a scenario designed for their shard only, but I want to share the engine that makes the automation possible, with the community.
I wasnt saying to use my code, i was more responding to "no FULLY automated PvP System available for RunUO that requires NO distro edits, but I could be wrong"

Vorspire

Knight
I wasnt saying to use my code, i was more responding to "no FULLY automated PvP System available for RunUO that requires NO distro edits, but I could be wrong"

Fair enough :)
Does that system run devoid of PlayerMobile edits?

Vorspire

Knight
Code:
[AutoPVP]: Reticulating splines...
[AutoPVP]: Created scenario (AutoPVP_TestBattle) 'PvP Test Battle'
[AutoPVP]: Registering commands...
[AutoPVP]: Binding event hooks...
[AutoPVP]:
[AutoPVP]: Load process started at 01:23
[AutoPVP]: Loading cache...
[AutoPVP]: Loading config 'Default'...
[AutoPVP]: Loading profiles...
[AutoPVP]: Result: OK
[AutoPVP]: Loading battles...
[AutoPVP]:
[AutoPVP]: Sync process started at 01:23
[AutoPVP]: Syncing Profiles...
[AutoPVP]: Syncing Battles...
[AutoPVP]: Sync process finished at 01:23 and took 0.02 seconds to complete.
[AutoPVP]: Load process finished at 01:23 and took 0.05 seconds to complete.
[AutoPVP]:
[AutoPVP]: Save process started at 01:23
[AutoPVP]: Saving cache...
[AutoPVP]: Saving config...
[AutoPVP]: Saving profiles...
[AutoPVP]: Profile count: 1
[AutoPVP]: Saving battles...
[AutoPVP]: Battle count: 3
[AutoPVP]: Save process finished at 01:23 and took 0.03 seconds to complete.

In the beta phase right now, this is the current console output using a unique database engine first featured in my Emailing API, the database engine is transitional and allows you to easily manipulate data-sets to store data in any format. By standard, Profiles and Battles are saved and loaded in binary, but I will supply an XML option and possibly a MySQL option depending on demand.
Of course, the release version will have a "Quiet Mode" option to suppress console messages to the minimum essentials, if you find the output to be too bulky.

*Completely drag & drop.
*Uses own central database system so saving is done in a separate directory to World saves. Done
*Players have profiles that store their statistics for the battles. Done
*Batles are fully customizable using an Admin UI and an interface VERY similar to Custom Regions In A Box
*Battles can be created simply by deriving from the standard Battle base class, all custom battle classes are loaded into a central database at RunTime Done
*Full XML logging in real-time for everything, log text, errors, player profiles and entire battles. Done
*100% configurable in-game using the standard PropertiesGump. Done
*100% crash-proof, even database files can be restored by the system automatically if corruption is detected.
*Multiple configuration profiles which can be saved and loaded in real-time by changing the name of the config file via the in-game configuration menu. Done
*More... TBA :)

Iraq-

Sorceror
This looks neat. I'm definitely trying to combine my two favorite games.. UO and Black Ops.. so anything with Playercard-esque/stat keeping capabilities is right up my alley ;D

Sythen

Sorceror
ROFL, Maxis!!!! Haven't heard from that company in years... who bought em out again?! oh yea... EA :(

I think most Maxim games do that.
I didn't know Maxim made games.

I first remember seeing it in SimCopter, Assumed it was something aviation related, and asked a relative who flew helicopters for PHI what a "spline" was. Not my brightest moment.
I've only ever seen it in Simcopter and Simcity 2k/3k. None of the early games seem to have it.

Jeff

Lord
I didn't know Maxim made games.

I first remember seeing it in SimCopter, Assumed it was something aviation related, and asked a relative who flew helicopters for PHI what a "spline" was. Not my brightest moment.
I've only ever seen it in Simcopter and Simcity 2k/3k. None of the early games seem to have it.
Haha, Maxis... i wish Maxim made games.

Vorspire

Knight
I first came across the saying in SC2K, it uses a sexy woman's voice to say it whenever you generate a new terrain :D

It has been used in many Maxis games sice then and has even cropped up in other applications, like major online file backup service Mozy.

They originally added "Reticulating Splines" simply because "it sounded cool" and actually means nothing relevant to the game.
The phrase was used in The Sims (all versions) and a few other Maxis games, even though there is nothing to do with terrain generation in The Sims :D

Reticulating Splines is apparently the operation of combining X number of lines into one contiguous line, probably in reference to the grid format in isometric games, although the only definition is in Urban Dictionary, it seems it was coined up to give the phrase meaning, for what reason, I don't know :p

The phrase, according to the definition can be split up like so: "Reticulating SP-Lines" - where the definition of SP has not been divulged.

Haha, Maxis... i wish Maxim made games.
So Do I :(

ROFL, Maxis!!!! Haven't heard from that company in years... who bought em out again?! oh yea... EA :(
Yeah along with Bullfrog, Jane's Combat Simulations, Westwood, Pandemic, and soon to be Bioware (they already own a majority stake, and autonomy seems to be shrinking more and more, hopefully there will be something left before Mass Effect 3)

Sorry for the thread hijack, you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming

Jeff

Lord
I first came across the saying in SC2K, it uses a sexy woman's voice to say it whenever you generate a new terrain :D

It has been used in many Maxis games sice then and has even cropped up in other applications, like major online file backup service Mozy.

They originally added "Reticulating Splines" simply because "it sounded cool" and actually means nothing relevant to the game.
The phrase was used in The Sims (all versions) and a few other Maxis games, even though there is nothing to do with terrain generation in The Sims :D

Reticulating Splines is apparently the operation of combining X number of lines into one contiguous line, probably in reference to the grid format in isometric games, although the only definition is in Urban Dictionary, it seems it was coined up to give the phrase meaning, for what reason, I don't know :p

The phrase, according to the definition can be split up like so: "Reticulating SP-Lines" - where the definition of SP has not been divulged.
Splines do not make grids :) They do however make bezier curves