RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete UO:R features

PappaSmurf

Knight
Behringer;683899 said:
Anyone remember when we had a skill called "Enticement" that later became a completely different skill called "Discordance"? A big commodity in the game at the time were colored sandals, and enticement was a skill I used to get those artist NPC's with the colored sandals to follow me out of town so I could kill them without being killed by guards?

I'd like to see that skill put back in somehow.

Yah I had a different strategy for them though, back right after UO:R hit and everyone was killing NPCs in town in Trammel with Fire Fields I just took my stealth mage out and guard whacked the players exploiting the bug then looted the sandals off them...One time a GM was called the told the person who paged my way was legal since they were grey in town, their way was an exploit of a flawed game mechanic and if they continued they would be banned.

Behringer

Sorceror
PappaSmurf;683997 said:
Yah I had a different strategy for them though, back right after UO:R hit and everyone was killing NPCs in town in Trammel with Fire Fields I just took my stealth mage out and guard whacked the players exploiting the bug then looted the sandals off them...One time a GM was called the told the person who paged my way was legal since they were grey in town, their way was an exploit of a flawed game mechanic and if they continued they would be banned.

It was a legal part of the system that they knew about and chose not to do anything about for years. There was a risk to the players doing it as you mentioned as well they they became criminals and could be attacked by other players and get looted. I more like the comments the NPC's said like, "It was you playing that lovely music."

Makaar

Sorceror
I have absolutely no problem with adding content, its changing content or removing parts is where they started to really mess with the game. I would be completely fine if we were still playing UO:R in Mondain's Legacy era, as long as we still had all the old game elements like the advanced AI, superb PVP, and infamous difficulty newer players had to go through. These days its all handed to them on a silver platter...a very mediocre silver platter at that.

The saddest part to me is no one will ever be able to achieve the coolness it had back in those days...some may come close, but there will always be aspects that just don't cut it. Hopefully we'll all come closer than most by putting our heads together. I'm currently on page 58 of 299 of the UO 1997 strategy guide, so please bare with me...I'll have the complete PDF one day here.

Until then, I recommend using the Wayback Machine as some other individual had posted...you can go back all the way to 1998 UO Stratics and check up on the outdated information.

Here's a link to the Wayback Machine archives:

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Sorry for my absence, I've been busy with other stuff lately. Anywho, I'm back at my parents house for a week and found my UO:R manual and found out I even have a UO:AOS booklet aswell, after further browsing through I'll post the important things in here :)

nonnerdeen

Wanderer
Back in UO-R you could burn down a player's home or use earthquake to damage it lol. I remember bloodrock/mytherial/and blackrock armor. Back then each different ore made more AR to the armor instead of attributes and resists. *sigh* I miss those days. Back then we could tame 20 or so animals and use them to help us lol. No followers,no evos. Blade spirits and Energy vortex's were mean. Back then no distro and you had no idea what was around the next corner. Now it seems most shards a dupe of the next with the distros. Back then no bless or insure. If you died you had better have instant messenger to contact someone for a res cause there was also no chat then run back to your body quick. No corpse stones either. Back then you had to have stealth and hiding otherwise you could get pk'd anywhere. There is so much more but I cannot think of them right now so I will post later.

I dont have much time, but here is all of the skills available in UO:R with some brief examples or description:

Anatomy - Evaluates a creatures physical condition.
Animal Lore - Shows descriptive text about the animal.
Animal Training - Attempt to tame an animal.
Archery - Skill checked when using a bow.
Arms Lore - Describes an item that this skill is used on.
Begging - Use on an NPC can result in money (if they have money to share) karma is reduced.
Blacksmithy - Use a smith's hammer or tongs near an anvil or forge. A menu comes up with a list of what you can make. There is a small little anvil icon that represented the repairing option. When attempting to repair an item, it's possible to further damage or even destroy the item. Each time a weapon is reforged you lose a bit of metal.
Bowcraft/Fletching - Use a knife or another bladed item on wood, then a list appears with what you can make. To make arrows, you need arrow shafts and feathers. Double click on the feathers then target the shafts to attach them.
Camping - Double click on kindling you bought in town or collected from a tree, if successful you get a message saying 'Your camp is secure' and can safely log out.
Carpentry - Doubleclick on any woodworking tool to open a menu of what you can make, you must have the right amount of wood.
Cartography - Use this skill on a blank scroll, a menu comes up allowing you to select the scale. The higher your skill, the bigger the scale. Once selected, the map is created centered around your position and placed in your pack.
Cooking - You need to be next to a campfire, oven, or even a forge. To cook, double click on the item and then on the heat source. You can also combine items, ie: use water on flour to make dough. Use dough with fruit, meat, or vegetables to make a pie. Use dough with honey to make a sweet dough. Use sweet dough and flour to make cake mix. Use sweet dough and more honey to make cookie mix. If you use a bladed item on caught fish, you will bone and gut the fish into raw fish steaks.
Detecting Hidden: Use this on a specified area to try to reveal hidden characters.
Enticement: Use this skill on an NPC or creature to entice them to peacefully follow you. Use the skill and click on the instrument you wish to use and then your target. or click on the skill and your target and the game will remember the last instrument you used.
Evaluating Intellect: Use this skill on a person to determine their mental capabilities.
Fencing: This skill is checked when using a piercing weapon. ie: pickaxe, dagger, kryss, pitchfork, spears and war fork.
Fishing: Double click on a fishing pole and then on a body of water, success is determined by fishing skill and amount of fish in the water. You may also catch things other than fish.
Forensic Evaluation: Use on a corpse to determine its demise.
Healing: Double click a bandage and then a wounded character, if successful some hp will be healed and the bandage consumed.
Herding: Double click on a shepherds crook and then on an animal, if successful, click on the area you want the animal to go to.
Hiding: Use this to turn invisible aslong as you perform not actions and dont talk. Success depends on skill and amount of 'cover' available.

I'm too tired to type the rest right now, so I'll include the rest in a later post.

Makaar

Sorceror
Came across this and just thought I would point them out:

-Jwilsons and Frost Oozes had and still do have the corrosive defense like Slimes do. Can be added in baseweapon.cs, but the distro doesn't I believe.

-Waaay back when UO first came out, Slimes would split in two when hit...that's more annoying than cool, though

-Hellcats (both) did up to 3rd circle spells...they traded that in for their fire breath they have now

-Daemons and Balrons had the super-aggressiveness Dragons and Drakes took on

Kennyd

Sorceror
killsom3thing;677473 said:
Thanks a bunch Rhexis, good find. It also makes me feel stupid, I jsut remembered that I do have my little UO:R booklet that I got when I started 10 years or so ago. *goes to look for it now* >_>

lmfao 10 years ago is when the first version of UO was released >_>

skisko

Wanderer
Last week I found my old UO Beta CD and I poked around it with InsideUO. It really was a different game from even when UO was first released, lots of different art, music, gumps. I briefly thought about making an attempt to make a UO Beta server, but the very thought of the amount of work needed made me cringe.

cwturley

Sorceror
Hi guys i have been working on making a server around UO:R, the way i remembered it. When i played there was etherals and factions, trammel was new, but most people still played in fel.

I currently have a server up "Rise of PK". I am in the process of scripting everything and getting it ready for release. If any of you feel up to helping me create this server please feel free to drop on by and send me a message. I know it will take a few months to work out all the scripts and bugs. but i really look forward to getting a true UO:R server up.

I do have the original UO:R game guide that came with the game, i also have the strategy guide that my friend had purchased when he started to play.

Currently for the setup process the server is hosted on a 10meg cable connection, 10meg down 2meg up. Its run on a dual 2.0ghz 4gb ram HP proliant server. The system will be moved to a 100meg connection when i have all the scripts worked out and am ready for the release.

Mentose

Sorceror
cwturley,

Are you considering sharing the source for the UO:R server? If so, I'd say that you should start a runuoforge.org project, there's a section specifically for RunUO Forks. While not everyone can program for it, the community can organize all of their ideas on it and allow the programmers to keep track of what needs to be done, and what has been done already. Check it out:

RunUOForge

I currently have one of my projects up their as well, my Civilizations mod for runuo. Because I'm going to be scrapping a lot of code such as factions, new player housing, etc and starting fresh, I'll be doing a lot of the things that would be necessary to make a UO:R server. In which case I would help out with the code for UO:R so that I could use it as a base for my mod.

Because honestly, the AoS stuff is just a whole bunch of crap that was stirred into the pot to keep players satisfied. UO:R is the game we all know and love and its what I'll be working back to before I start my mod.

It shouldn't be too difficult to revert to UO:R because most of the programming will just be removing chunks of code and systems such as factions, bods, new housing, etc. and tweaking the rest of the code to work without it.

It'd be cool to get the RunUO guys to maybe work on this because then they could program it as an option in the regular distro instead of a complete fork.

Hemectu

Wanderer
One thing that would benefit the return of old experiences is to find the old client data such as music and artwork to have the old UO:R client. The UOGOLD and all seem half the data files of the original installation CD's. Granted new data for the new expansions but as far as the basic UO I believe most of it is missing, such as some monster models and items. Don't forget the classic MIDI music files! If anyone had the original CD's client and could post it online in an install format would be a step closer to the old ways of play. Because the old clients are now seen as obsolete it would (should) not violate any copyright laws either.

Murzin

Knight
actually UOR is when uo went downhill.. AOS is what brought me back.

UOR ruined skilled pvp and turned it into a luck-fest.

dont forget about 8x8 skill gain

Mentose

Sorceror
well I joined UO like 2 months after they added UO:R and T2A. Are you being sarcastic Jeff, cuz I've always been curious as to what the 1997 game was like, anyone have any details?

Murzin

Knight
there is a very distinguishing point you have to make when talking T2A or pre-T2A as they sometimes get confused...

lots of people when you say T2A dont mean when T2A came out, but rather UO after the rep patch, and when people say pre-T2A they dont mean before T2A but after the rep patch, they mean pre-rep patch.

Jeff

Lord
Murzin;722651 said:
there is a very distinguishing point you have to make when talking T2A or pre-T2A as they sometimes get confused...

lots of people when you say T2A dont mean when T2A came out, but rather UO after the rep patch, and when people say pre-T2A they dont mean before T2A but after the rep patch, they mean pre-rep patch.

I mean Pre-T2A, this means before the expansion called The Second Age. When they added the gay land of papua and delucia

Mentose;722639 said:
well I joined UO like 2 months after they added UO:R and T2A. Are you being sarcastic Jeff, cuz I've always been curious as to what the 1997 game was like, anyone have any details?

Im not being sarcastic.