RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete UO:R features

Jeff

Lord
Murzin;722709 said:
well for pre-T2A you mean before or after the rep patch?

yes, back when fame and karma meant more then just titles, back when reds could go into town, back when UO was good.

Abornazine

Sorceror
There is alot of stuff I can remember from back then...I started playing in 1999 and there was no trammel at that point. I remember random attacks on towns...i.e. trolls that would taunt you as they MASSIVELY raided Vesper...I remember being PK'd in the orc fort by a character named Fire Crotch with 4 dragons....Wandering talking NPC's, animals that would attack each other....then Trammel came out..and Felucca died and that was the end of the game for me...I played until about 04 because, well, i had nothing better to do during college lol I really would like to see that pdf of the UO:R booklet and TRY to start recoding some of that stuff....it makes me nastolgic just thinkiing about it...

Doomcraft

Wanderer
The day uo died was when T2A came out. Not that it was technically a bad thing,

Mounts weren't allowed to enter T2A, there was no recalling in or out of T2A. When runebooks were implemented shortly after, they were not blessed right away.

Clothing bless deeds were as common as mandrake root. There was a time when they were worth something believe it or not.

Moongates did not hide you on exiting or entering.

Context menus hadn't been invented yet.

Some of the static housing hadn't been introduced... can't remember if it was at the release of T2A or not. Small tower, sandstone... etc.

Guards could be attacked or outrun.

Mining equipment broke less.

Vendors had a sell timer, you couldn't sell more than a few items in a certain time period.

Skill gain was ridiculously hard.

Of course... after 9 or 10 years my memory could be a little bit out of sorts.

Speaking of which, i've been working on a T2A/1998 type server as well. Still in beta, but hopefully it evolves to that time period perfectly.

Jeff

Lord
Doomcraft;723730 said:
The day uo died was when T2A came out. Not that it was technically a bad thing,

Mounts weren't allowed to enter T2A, there was no recalling in or out of T2A. When runebooks were implemented shortly after, they were not blessed right away.

Clothing bless deeds were as common as mandrake root. There was a time when they were worth something believe it or not.

Moongates did not hide you on exiting or entering.

Context menus hadn't been invented yet.

Some of the static housing hadn't been introduced... can't remember if it was at the release of T2A or not. Small tower, sandstone... etc.

Guards could be attacked or outrun.

Mining equipment broke less.

Vendors had a sell timer, you couldn't sell more than a few items in a certain time period.

Of course... after 9 or 10 years my memory could be a little bit out of sorts.

Speaking of which, i've been working on a T2A/1998 type server as well. Still in beta, but hopefully it evolves to that time period perfectly.

Cause that hasnt been done 50 times over, not to mention Divinity 2.0 is almost ready to go....oh well good luck to you.

Jeff;722610 said:
Its all about Pre-T2A, everything else can lick it.

That has got to be the best thing I have heard in three years. Nothing is ever going to compare to first year UO before they began making expansions that will ultimately run the game into the ground.

Marak

Sorceror
God reading this brings back memories:

I read a 6-8 page review on ultima online, explaining how everything works, in one of my computer mags (pcuser? maybe), wow it couldnt have been long after it was released. I didnt have the Internet back then, and i was dying to play the game. A few years later i got the net, eventually remembered the game and played it, and was sorely disappointed - which is why i started looking at freeservers.

Definatly looking forward to seeing the work on this one :)

Murzin

Knight
Mounts weren't allowed to enter T2A

yes they were... there were a few new mounts introduced with t2a.

When runebooks were implemented shortly after, they were not blessed right away.

the problem was that runebooks made for like 3-4 weeks after runebooks were made, they were all blessed and they were talking about making them unblessed, but then agreeed not to because it would be unfair for those who came after as they would not remove the blessed nature of the runebooks that were already out.

those were renesance...

you do know why that was right? across all servers all skill gain tests were recorded via the master login server, then every night during the downtime they would compare each skill vs each other by a % to use, then they multiplied that % by 1,000, multiplied that by the base skill gain difficulty factor, then divided by 100 to return each skills difficulty factor. thats why some skills were notoriously difficult but when you went to the really off-beat skills like herding it was extremely easy to gain. i think one of the devs said that when they removed that total-skill-logging system the lowest skill used was herding, and it had uses in the hundreds of trillions. thats a lot :p

Doomcraft

Wanderer
Jeff;723732 said:
Cause that hasnt been done 50 times over, not to mention Divinity 2.0 is almost ready to go....oh well good luck to you.

50 times or not, i'd much rather build a server based around the best time of uo.

And to murzin, I'm pretty sure mounts were not allowed into T2A right away. I remember not being able to get ostards out and horses in from fel.

And I remember something about dragons polymorphing as well back then.

slithers

Sorceror
i remember running fireballs.

i would love to see the server rules returned to this set but incorporating the new maps and items and spells. would take some imaginative tweaking and balancing but definitely doable.

skisko

Wanderer
Jeff;722610 said:
Its all about Pre-T2A, everything else can lick it.

True but I have yet to find a free shard that really operated on the 1997 rule set. In particular skill atrophy, no decay or securing in houses, you loose your key you loose your house, correct client/gumps and so forth. I imagine you don't see this because a great many things would be exploitable for players, and it would require an inordinate amount of work to set up.

UO Rebirth is as close as I remember but it is long gone (as above). If the admin of that old server is around still, post the script library you used. Would be interesting to look through it.

sicron

Sorceror
that admin was zippy... and I dont think he will be releasing that anytime soon :p
The big problem with something as true to uo circa '97 is that besides pvp... there really isnt a whole hell of a lot else to do... it was fun and great then because everyone was still learning everything about the game... how best to raise a skill, what skills where best, best ways to earn gp, best places to explore, etc...
The only real thing you could do is make a custom map to the same ruleset... and even then thats only going to hold peoples intrest for a short time, anything else done would in some shape or form affect the actually gameplay and that in turn would defeat the purpose you set out for...
And lets face it... there is just not enough players out there for a true 97 era shard out there to make it worthwhile... If it died with the force of the runuo devs themselves pushing it... I highly doubt anyone else could make it happen AND be a success...
Granted one could argue that zippy & co. left it to die at the end of its days, but even though maybe they could have done a little more... the writing was on the walls long before they started dropping out of sight...
T2a and beyond is the only chance at making a successful shard because then you get a lot more leeway as to what can be in, as well as having a lot more things for people to do when there is no pvp action going on.
I will stop here as my next step would be another rant about 3rd party apps and such taking away the feel of how the game truly was as well...

gramps

Sorceror
does anyone remember the damages for spells from back then by any chance? these aos damages are killin me and ive made like 50+ tweaks but cant seem to get the damage just right

LOLY12

Wanderer
question doesn't the runuo server support all clients till SE and emulate it like OSi was at the time of SE? if so you could probably find an older copy of runuo or some other server and fix it up or?

Repsteve

Sorceror
I know this post is pretty old but is anyone out there still working on a UO:R based server? If you are can you give me some information. Is there a spawner system based on UO:R if so can I get a link for it. Also since ConnectUO is back running I can now make patches and start to convert monsters and such to there old versions of themselfs. Also one more question. Is there links to what UO:R had and what not. Such as in links to guides to disable most of the stuff in RunUO 2.0 to make it have that feel of UO:R. Is there a setting in RunUO to set it to UO:R? Any information will be greatful. I posted on this post a few years back and just started to rebuild a UO:R shard. I am willing to share what I am working on and such. Maybe some dev's that want to help out in makeing the shard better then be my guest. I will have more info to post tomorrow. Thanks in advanced

Repsteve

Murzin

Knight
sooo.... you bumped this old thread to say you want to start working on a luck-based carebear version of UO?

i prefer the following UOs in order:

Uber AOS - as in no caps, and i dont just mean no skill/stat caps ( anyone know about one PM me please :) )
pre-rep UO
post rep UO

thats it. not a fan of UOR or post T2A. problem is that pre/post rep UO are all PvP shards and its always off so it doesnt feel right.

Repsteve

Sorceror
Carebear? Nah its not gonna be carebear. That is for sure. IMO AoS and above its basicly for trammies who don't wanna die. Im just looking for more information then what was gathered in this post. If you have any or know of places that do then thats great. Otherwise just don't bother posting. I am a huge fan of UOR shards. I may have to dig around and figure it all out if needed.

Murzin

Knight
uhhh...

1) this is not your thread

2) UOR gave birth to the trammie, until UOR they were called carebears, RPers, and numerous other things. UOR gave them a real classificiation. trammie.

UOR is where UO went carebear. any server UOR or after technically is carebear. UOR removed a lot of the skill/tricks from PvP and changed it all to luck based. AOS changed that to bring back some of the skill/tricks back to PvP that UOR removed.

it seems your memory is quite faulty in some areas. or maybe you didnt actually play before UOR.